The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

How to watch American OR British television programs with English subtitles? Options
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:10:35 AM

Neurons: 10,082
Hi everyone!

I typed in 'American OR British television programs with English subtitles' on YouTube. However, "English Speaking How to build your spoken English confidence, comedy series" appeared to me. Also, I did see that English subtitles(words typed to help deaf people) are blurred. I mean the words spoken in this program which should be typed on the screen to help learners understand the words spoken are typed blurredly/unclearly. I only see the words typed on the screen being blurred/unclear. I don't know if those words were the same words spoken or not.

I am really expecting that words spoken would be typed on program's screen, or otherwise, there is no sense from American/British programs with English subtitles'

The American and British Radio both cannot be streamed here on internet while in Yemen, and only the BBC can hardly be streamed.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:11:18 PM

Neurons: 50,096
My experience with YouTube has been that the captions/subtitles are generated by a voice recognition program and are worthless.

If the captions are not typed by a person, then you can't trust them, and sometimes even when a person types them, they can't keep up with what is being said.

Only programs that have been previously recorded and captioned by a person will have decent captions and you won't likely find that on YouTube.

You will probably have to watch programs on satellite or cable, if those are available, to get good captions.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:00:01 PM

Neurons: 10,082
FounDit wrote:

You will probably have to watch programs on satellite or cable, if those are available, to get good captions.

Thanks a lot, dear FounDit, yes, those programs I've really been looking for. However, I didn't find any such programs on satellite or cable. I can only watch some TV channels available on Arabsat 201/202, Nilesat. But most of them don't stream any American/Britain programs with English subtitles . The Erupesat and other satellites don not stream in Yemen.

I myself,have never ever seen any American/Britain programs with English subtitles at all. I've only seen English movies on TV channels, but there are not English subtitles. Could you at least let me know how to find some American/Britain programs with English subtitles? I want to improve my listening to English program while following the spoken words typed on the screen

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
mactoria
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:40:36 AM

Neurons: 1,271,139
A cooperator wrote:
FounDit wrote:

Thanks a lot, dear FounDit, yes, those programs I've really been looking for. However, I didn't find any such programs on satellite or cable. I can only watch some TV channels available on Arabsat 201/202, Nilesat. But most of them don't stream any American/Britain programs with English subtitles . The Erupesat and other satellites don not stream in Yemen.

I myself,have never ever seen any American/Britain programs with English subtitles at all. I've only seen English movies on TV channels, but there are not English subtitles. Could you at least let me know how to find some American/Britain programs with English subtitles? I want to improve my listening to English program while following the spoken words typed on the screen

A cooperator: If I understand what you are asking about ---

If you do have access to YouTube, you can probably get properly "closed-captioned" (the technical name for "subtitles" these days) videos of TV shows, sometimes for free and sometimes for a small cost per episode directly from the production companies who own the TV series. These types of TV shows are closed-captioned for TV watchers, then posted on YouTube, so the words parallel the actual words being spoken. Off the top of my head, try "John Oliver Tonight," (a current news/comedy/commentary show), "The West Wing" (a one hour drama about American politics from the early 2000s); "Blue Bloods" (a current one hour drama about policing), etc. Not all TV videos posted on YouTube have a "CC" button on the screen, but look for it in order to get a decent English word-for-word translation. As FounDit indicated, other types of videos on YouTube are done by 'voice recognition' and so are often badly done as that system is based on phonetics instead of actual translation of the real words spoken. Good luck.