The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Want Your Considered Opinion. Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 2:39:58 PM

Neurons: 62,554
If we stop publishing 25% newspapers of the world, we will save 80% vegetation and 50% conflicts of the world.. Do you agree?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
taurine
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 5:19:08 PM

Neurons: 32,400
If we stop some people from loudly expressing their opinions until they get more knowledge we could save the World. It is not pertinent to you, Ash win

Too many people are expressing their opinions without knowledge on the subject. It is even worse when a person who is employed for many years claims that experience makes him/her wise. To the contrary. Knowledge is derived from the experience of the people living earlier. Every one who claims that experience is more important than study at the University is of an unsound mind. Currently we are living in the 21 century and many layers of knowledge are available as taken from the deep pondering over any matters. The question arises: what kind of experience can a person derive from his/her own life only? What kind of experience can a person derive from studying at the University later on to support the better quality of recognisance required to understand what is needed to understand? Every time the period spent on the University gives to a student a better chance to understand what is needed for further development of the private satisfaction. Without support given at the University by scholars who are well versed in the intricacies between what is black and what is grey to a person who aspires to become "somebody" an effort to become "somebody" may turn into useless anticipation. Useless anticipation to become better than your colleagues. Better than your competitors to become just more resilient against common contempt for knowledge not supported by wealth. Because very often not only an access to knowledge is barred. The very attainment of wealth through knowledge is barred by those who are less bestowed with traits needed to confirm their usefulness for society at large.

Sorry, I need a beer.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 6:58:44 PM

Neurons: 134,309
My considered opinion is - on the first premise, I don't know, but I doubt it.

I do not feel that 80% of the world's vegetation is used or destroyed by newspapers.

On the second premise, I have to add some.
"Newspapers" are now only a very small fraction of the news media.
In general the news media publish rumour, blood, conflict and grey propaganda, if not black propaganda.
Black propaganda is information put out by an opposing government or institution and made to look as though it came from a friendly source. You may not see much of this from opposing countries, but opposing political parties? Very likely.
Gray propaganda is information of questionable origin that is never sourced and whose accuracy is doubtful. this is constant and normal in the media. "Americans believe . . .", "Fair-minded people state . . .", "Everyone knows . . .", "An anonymous source in the government states . . .".

All lies and all types of propaganda DO inflame and increase conflicts.
Therefore I would say that the reduction of media news - or the enforcement of VERIFIED FACTS with no political 'slant' would reduce conflicts considerably.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
whatson
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 7:05:58 PM

Neurons: 1,726
"Paper companies Catalyst and Resolute -- the only two remaining publicly
traded North American newsprint makers -- reported losses in recent days,
attributing declining demand for paper
(whether it be newsprint or any other kind) as their biggest problem."
Source: NEWSPRINT COMPANIES STILL STRUGGLING
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 3:22:43 AM

Sorry for the unclear question.

I revise the same as under;

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 3:29:45 AM

Sorry for the unclear question.

I revise the same as under;

If we stop publishing 25% newspapers of the world, we will save 80% of vegetation destroyed on making newsprint and 50% conflicts of the world. Do you agree?

See the following news which has no sense, not worth publishing still published. One can imagine how much is wasted. I am writing the headline only excluding the long story.

Ex-Minister's Kin Unhurt in a Road Accident. and then

Pizza
A man put something weird on his pizza and people can't decide whether it's a good idea

(Mirror, UK.)

and much more such stuff.

Your Turn.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 6:04:42 AM

Neurons: 3,042
No I do not agree, there is as DragOnspeaker says a plethora of other media outlets now, many young people no longer read newspapers or magazines relying only on TV and the Internet for their news sources.

Some of the lighter pieces in a newspaper also serve a function, to borrow the words of the founder of the BBC Lord Reith they are there to 'Imform, educate and entertain' he said it about the BBC but it applies to many media services, the article about pizza toppings is there to entertain those that read the paper they may well find it amusing.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.