The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined... Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined knowledge the turbulent seas of hate and injustice will be calmed. They will champion the causes of life's underdogs, forging a society without class discrimination. They will supply humanity with music and beauty as it has never known. They will endure.

Henry James (1843-1916)
kitten
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 12:55:59 AM

Neurons: 7,420
Daemon wrote:
To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined knowledge the turbulent seas of hate and injustice will be calmed. They will champion the causes of life's underdogs, forging a society without class discrimination. They will supply humanity with music and beauty as it has never known. They will endure. Henry James (1843-1916)

Below is the complete quote in context. It has been "sourced" but the sources give no book, paper or other place to look. The quote is beautiful.

"To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined knowledge the turbulent seas of hate and injustice will be calmed. They will champion the causes of life's underdogs, forging a society without class discrimination. They will supply humanity with music and beauty as it has never known. They will endure. Towards these ends I pledge my life's work. I will supply the children with tools and knowledge to overcome the obstacles. I will pass on the wisdom of my years and temper it with patience. I shall impact in each child the desire to fulfill his or her dream. I shall teach. "

peace out, >^,,^< >>>>>>>>>>>>> I think I may have found the book on Gutenberg I just need to sleep. Or perhaps he was talking to his brother?????? Think

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
sisikou
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:49:41 AM

Neurons: 4,880
"If you can give your child only one gift, let it be enthusiasm."
(Bruce Barton, creator of Betty Crocker)

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth
MTC
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 3:51:15 AM

Neurons: 8,606
The children will endure, James says, words with strong Biblical overtones. Much later the same chord was struck in the final lines of Night of the Hunter, a 1955 movie adaptation of Davis Grubb's thriller about a sociopathic preacher:
"Lord, save little children. The wind blows and the rain's a-cold. Yet they abide...They abide and they endure."
DHeavyOne
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 7:22:07 AM

Neurons: 378
One of my favourite biological analysis edicts is "antogony recapitulates phylogeny".....which means, in it's most basic understanding, that if you wish to understand who you are then you must simply examine from whence you've come. Similarly, yet inversely, one of my personal mantras is "If you wish to derive results that are variant from pasts achievements, then you are bound to change your methods and thinking."

Mr. James has smooshed these two ideas into one nice, round ball with his statement. Of course children are the future, and of course they will bring humamity "...music and beauty as it has never known." Every generation has it's own new artists and genres and methods and ideas and........you get the idea. Too basic: LOOK DEEPER! What Henry is saying is that he is unhappy with the state of the world within which he lives, and he's implying that society agrees with him, since he gives society the credit of being like minded to him. The children represent SOCIETY's opportunity to "right" the "wrongs" of the past....to be taught that empathy for another, personally and situationally, is paramount to the formation of a society of proper moral adjustment, thereby propogating the idea that hurting others is wrong and that every human really does have a unique ability to contribute in their own way....to appreciate every person as a human being FIRST!

By arming the children with this doctrince, WE THE SOCIETY WITH WHOM THE RESPONSIBILITY RESTS FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE CHILDREN OF OUR GENERATION, will lock the rudder of their world in a direction away from injustice and oppression, due to the virtue of their understanding, and their understanding will endure!

Children are resilient enough to endure and adapt to ANY environment, which is truly a wonder of the human condition, so why don't we provide them with the framework within which to adapt in a positive way? It takes the same effort as it does to teach them hate....

....but that's just MY opinion....he he he.
Hupomone
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 8:15:31 AM

Neurons: 1,431
DHeavyOne, you have a valid and deep opinion, and I like it. Enthusiasm is a powerful thing. It makes believers out of doubters; winners out of losers. It grants both, adult and child, a "home field advantage."
DarkMoon
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 12:38:15 PM

Neurons: 46,684
I like this excerpt about children taken from Khalil Gibran's The Prophet:

"And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of Children."
And he said:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable."
sisikou
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:23:49 PM

@DM:...out of the box perspective?
It reminds me a book in Taiwan(sorry, I couldn't find an English version.)
The title of the book is "Terrible motherhood"(Mǔ ài zhēn kě pà)

The book title might be offensive.
However, the author's not aiming to make readers angry.
The purpose of the book is to get mothers' attention and reminds them not to overwhelm their love towards children.

Another good book
Dr.Denmark said it
This book helped my friend(a mom) a lot.

chidi
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:33:58 PM

Neurons: 12
Hi all can some one advise how do i get to post a quote here.

Nothing great was never achieved without enthusiasm...If you lack passion in your endeavors,how would you ever be creative enough to have something considered great.
sisikou
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:57:53 PM

Hi~Chidi,
You might click on the "quote" button on the functional bar.
Another optional solution is to copy and paste the sentence you want to quote, and then click on the "<>=<>" (the forth button from the left on the menu bar).

jcbarros
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 10:50:44 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Look at that boy, Schiklgruber! Isn´t he cute? And has future too!
silver
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:31:41 AM

Neurons: 91
kitten wrote:
Daemon wrote:
To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined knowledge the turbulent seas of hate and injustice will be calmed. They will champion the causes of life's underdogs, forging a society without class discrimination. They will supply humanity with music and beauty as it has never known. They will endure. Henry James (1843-1916)

Below is the complete quote in context. It has been "sourced" but the sources give no book, paper or other place to look. The quote is beautiful.

"To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined knowledge the turbulent seas of hate and injustice will be calmed. They will champion the causes of life's underdogs, forging a society without class discrimination. They will supply humanity with music and beauty as it has never known. They will endure. Towards these ends I pledge my life's work. I will supply the children with tools and knowledge to overcome the obstacles. I will pass on the wisdom of my years and temper it with patience. I shall impact in each child the desire to fulfill his or her dream. I shall teach. "

peace out, >^,,^< >>>>>>>>>>>>> I think I may have found the book on Gutenberg I just need to sleep. Or perhaps he was talking to his brother?????? Think

Thank you for the rest of the quote. The thought is incomplete without it and maligns the whole point of what James was saying. He was saying, of course, that the future generation will do great things because he will pour himself into them. He will mentor them; he will sacrifice for their good; he will lay himself down as bridge for the younger generation to walk on into a better world. This concept is different than saying that the next generation will aspire to greatness simply because the human race is great and will become greater with each successive generation as the first incomplete quote implicates by focusing on the next generation instead of his responsibility to prepare the next generation.

P.S. If someone thinks sacrifice isn't implied, try being a parent or a teacher without sacrifice.
chidi
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:28:41 AM

Neurons: 12
I have a very strong feeling that the opposite of love is not hate - it's apathy. It's not giving a damn. Leo

Nothing great was never achieved without enthusiasm...If you lack passion in your endeavors,how would you ever be creative enough to have something considered great.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:43:06 AM

Neurons: 83,646
anyone else have the problem that just seeing the thread title puts that ** Whitney Houston song in my head
ahhhhhh

I know I am particularly susceptible to attack from musical associations, I hum and whistle uncontrollably, until the earworm is replaced by another or eventually dies.....

sisikou
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:12:37 AM

@Chidi,
Yes, the statement is absolutely right.

@Thar,
Made my day! Applause