The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Senate votes to block funding for Planned Parenthood Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 12:18:32 PM

Neurons: 873,698
Why the Senate voted to block funding for Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/senate-vote-block-abortion-funding-affects-planned-parenthood/

Quote:
"The debate over abortion and women’s health entered a new phase Thursday as Congressional Republicans delivered what’s arguably their first real blow in years to Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers.

In a dramatic vote in the Senate, Vice President Mike Pence cast the tie-breaking 51st vote on a bill that would let states block more than $200 million in Title X funding from going to Planned Parenthood or any organization that provides abortions. “Title X” refers to the federal family planning program, established in that section of the 1970 Public Health Service Act."
Romany
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 3:25:20 PM

Neurons: 41,380

The icing on the cake for repeal of women's rights, is that the ubiquitous 'tampon tax' will be used to fund anti-abortion measures.
Ash_Lingua
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 3:53:34 PM

Neurons: 497,444
Just for the record, Planned Parenthood provides many health services to women besides birth control and abortions.

When I was a young student in California and our university health center was closed (and almost none of the students had any kind of medical insurance), PP was all we had in the way of medical treatment.

Many students chose to be on the pill, but a prescription was required by law, which meant regular doctor visit plus pharmacy prices, which students couldn't afford.

When will liberty-inclined conservatives acknowledge that although use of contraceptives and, in some cases, early term abortions may run counter to their own religious views, the choices are theirs to make only for themselves - not for others.

Women must struggle with the consequences of their choices, and this is not easy, nor should it be. I am NOT pro-abortion.

When no birth control is available, and legal abortions are available and affordable only to the well-off, unplanned children can result from carelessness, from assault, from the incidental ineffectiveness of the preventative methods used.

Some conservatives are vociferous in their condemnation of personal choice in this matter. They are strangely and suddenly silent when the children born in the wake of their crackdowns need adoption, or support, or food, or shelter.

I note the well-circulated photo of a meeting to debate women's health care coverage (maternity leave) among Republican House leaders last week. Not one woman present.

Many conservatives agree with my stance as outlined above, but simply object to tax-dollar support for something which, in conscience, they do not feel able to support. But I do not hear proposals of nor support for viable alternatives for women, especially poor women.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 4:04:35 PM

Neurons: 42,782
Out of 100 Senate seats "In January 2017, the number of serving women senators reached a record of 21, 16 of whom were Democrats, and the other 5 being Republicans." 80% men made the decision.

Also a cabinet (?) pic shared recently during the healthcare debacle showed not one single woman in it while they made decisions concerning women's health.

Strangely enough it often happens that when the wives or daughters of men in power need feminine healthcare or even abortions, those lofty ideals formed when sitting in arm chair, fly away into the night. Same for anti-gay or anti-transgender - they change their tune when it affects them personally.

Edited - Ash Lingua posted an excellent response while I wrote.

I agree whole-heartedly with every word. I too am not pro-abortion but pro MYOB when it comes to women's bodies. Only the parents and their doctors should have any say in the matter.

Conservatives always say they want less government - a contradiction when it comes to controlling women and a chance their seed may not be spread.

Really, Romany?

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 5:03:22 PM

Neurons: 42,782
I just read an article about a spike in gun sales in the US since the election to women, LGBT, and minorities fearing physical attacks as well as these legal attacks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/texas-gun-lgbt-firearms-trump-1.4046334

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer