The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does "Politically Correct" mean? (for fair-minded readers) Options
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 8:25:05 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Dear Fair-Minded Readers:

If you already understand this phrase, don't waste your precious time reading my explanation. ("Time is money," as they say.) Have a nice day!

In the United States of America, there are many people who call themselves "liberals."

Politically correct = You speak and act in the same way that "liberals" say that you should speak and act.
Politically incorrect = You do not speak and act in the same way that "liberals" say that you should speak and act.

This is the true story of what happened to a man who was accidentally politically incorrect.

1. Venus Williams is a famous American tennis player.

2. In January of this year, she was playing an opponent.

3.. Many people were watching on television.

4. Doug Adler was describing the action for the TV viewers.

5. He referred to Ms. Williams's "guerrilla" tactics. That is, that she has an aggressive style.

6. Some "liberals" contacted the TV station.

7. Those "liberals" said that when Mr. Adler said the word "guerrilla," he was really saying the word "gorilla."

8. Those "liberals" say that he was insulting Ms. Williams, an African American.

9. Those "liberals" demanded that Mr. Adler be dismissed.

10. Mr. Adler apologized for having used a word that can be spelled two ways.

11. Nevertheless, the TV station dismissed him.

12. Mr. Adler has sued the TV station, saying that the term "guerrilla" tactics has often been used in tennis circles, including a 2012 article in Tennis magazine.

If any of you ever come to the United States to study or to work, be very, very careful.

Remember what happened to Mr. Adler.

Have a nice day!

P.S. There are various reports on the Web regarding this matter. I used a February 14, 2017, article from USA TODAY.
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 9:01:26 AM

Neurons: 421,391
Politically Correct
"A term used for whiney overly-sensitive pansies who need everything sugar-coated for them." (Source: TNFIV)
Definetly synonomous with liberals!

Thanks again TheParser, great thread!
hedy Applause

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 9:30:30 AM

Thanks a lot, Hedy, for your comments.

I do believe that there are some genuine liberals who are embarrassed and ashamed by the current behavior of so many people who call themselves "liberals."

A genuine liberal would never, ever act the way in which many of today's "liberals" are acting. (It's shameful how they destroyed Mr. Adler.)

And I might add that genuine conservatives would never, ever act the way in which some of today's "conservatives" are behaving.

I do enjoy being a genuine moderate. We need more moderates in this forum. But they probably feel that the abuse is not worth it.

Have a nice day!
Gary98
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 10:48:01 AM

Neurons: 2,467,103
TFD definination:

politically correct
adj. Abbr. PC
Conforming to a particular sociopolitical ideology or point of view, especially to a liberal point of view concerned with promoting tolerance and avoiding offense in matters of race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

political correctness - avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 10:54:28 AM

Neurons: 41,205
For a discussion about this, click here.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst163054p2_Why-and-When-Did-Politically-Correct-Become-Incorrect-.aspx

Ridiculous for the TV station to dismiss him.

Anybody who had never heard the term guerilla tactics is uneducated and therefore according to the claims cannot be a "liberal elite". Whistle

Edited to add - I checked it out. All it took was one person OR TROLL on Twitter who got it wrong and it spread like wildfire that he called her a gorilla and someone with a grudge against him, obviously not a liberal, Whistle fanned the flames. That's what happens when people are vindictive and actively campaign against other groups such as liberals while pretending to be moderates.

BTW - what did he ACTUALLY say?

Twitter seems to cause a lot of problems and divides people when everybody shoots off a few characters without checking facts.

I hope he wins his suit. If the person had been any color but black there would have been no issue.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 11:05:18 AM

Neurons: 53,448
TheParser wrote:

I do enjoy being a genuine moderate.

Whistle
Romany
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 3:29:20 PM

Neurons: 40,053

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din: - I would have put a gigantic, outsize roffle smiley up!
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 2:29:12 AM

You might have, but I'm a whiney overly-sensitive pansy who needs everything sugar-coated.
Romany
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 5:07:16 AM

Are you? Gosh I wouldn't ever have guessed!
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 5:35:13 AM

Neurons: 385,004
TheParser wrote:
Politically correct = You speak and act in the same way that "liberals" say that you should speak and act.
Politically incorrect = You do not speak and act in the same way that "liberals" say that you should speak and act.

You must be so proud of your politically incorrect president, the way he resists the influence of the "liberals" by insisting on words like "alternative facts", saying John McCain is not a war hero because he was captured and tortured by the North Vietnamese, calling Mexicans rapists, mocking a disabled person...

If we're going to be so 'liberal' (pun totally intended) with our definition of PC, it's only fair we coin a new Trump-specific term for speaking like Trump says you should speak. Personally, I'm a fan of the term Bullshit, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 6:55:45 AM

Neurons: 296,660
Back in the 80's, when I spent four months in Army Rangers course in U.S. I was asked several times to explain the Finnish guerrilla tactics during the Winter War.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 11:17:23 AM

Gary98 wrote:

political correctness - avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

Thank you, Gary, for the dictionary definition.

Some people also feel that in 2017 another definition is something like:

Looking for bigotry where there is none.

For example:

Those troublemakers who destroyed Mr. Adler's life.
They knew very well that he said, "guerrilla."
Smelling blood, they complained to that TV station, and that cowardly TV station kowtowed to those troublemakers.

For example:

President Trump wants to protect us from what happened a few days ago in London and what has just happened in St. Petersburg.
Smelling blood, these troublemakers scream that the President is bigoted against a certain religion.
They will use any phony excuse to denigrate the President.

I am confident that fair-minded readers will not be misled by such troublemakers.

Have a nice day!

tunaafi
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 11:45:10 AM

TheParser wrote:
I am confident that fair-minded readers will not be misled by such troublemakers.

Precisely my thought about certain people who post here, James.
Romany
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 11:56:49 AM

Good grief! As I think even Parsar's friends down the library would now agree: all pretence of Parsar's posts being objectively presented for objective readers has been busted with that last post!

Although it was merely a repetition of the propaganda coming out of the White House these days, one thing he said caused me to let out a big shout of laughter which, (as I'm sure even his best mates would allow) is not a reaction often produced by Parsar's posts: -

He is proud his man "wants to protect us from what happened a few days ago in London".

OMG! Really? The President of the United States thinks Americans need to be protected from people from Kent?

Or is it just the ones with mental problems?

Now there's a guy who really cares, huh? Applause
will
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 3:13:37 PM

Neurons: 4,194
hedy mmm wrote:
Politically Correct
"A term used for whiney overly-sensitive pansies who need everything sugar-coated for them." (Source: TNFIV)
Definetly synonomous with liberals!

Thanks again TheParser, great thread!
hedy Applause

Ah! I thought those random, excessive baseline dots between your emotional outbursts, lazy stereotyping, name calling and old testament threats of eternal damnation were supposed to be ellipses. I’d simply associated their incorrect use as a symptom of being educationally challen... wait, you don’t want it sugar-coated; I’d simply associated their incorrect use as a symptom of being retarded, as highlighted by your belief that the Earth is six thousand years old.

But now...... it’s clear!...... They weren’t ellipses.......They.........were candy sprinkles!...........................

Bless you. Your Christian charity is a lesson to us all. Pray

Listening . . .
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 3:28:27 PM

Neurons: 3,817
Ooooooh!? Candy sprinkles? I like it! Applause

Signed,
Listening . . .
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 4:58:16 AM

Neurons: 296,660
Urban dictionary:

politically correct

A way that we speak in America so we don't offend whining pussies.

Only pathetically weak people that don't have the balls to say what they feel and mean are politically correct pussies.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
will
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 11:16:47 AM

Neurons: 4,194
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Urban dictionary:

politically correct

A way that we speak in America so we don't offend whining pussies.

Only pathetically weak people that don't have the balls to say what they feel and mean are politically correct pussies.

I think I may have over-compensated. It was the ‘pussy’ bit that I was keen to distance myself from, in case I get grabbed by the vulgarian Commander in Chief when he visits the UK. Speak to the hand

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 1:09:07 AM

I certainly learned a few new words on this link from the Right.

I particularly like this definition of political correctness - In fact it is perfect!

"Political correctness: Anything that challenges an alt-right person's right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, in any way they want to say it. According to the alt-right, political correctness is responsible for most of society's ills, including feminism, Islamic terrorism and overly liberal college campuses.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol-alt-right-terminology-20161115-story.html

(An added value from this link - another term I learned on TFD -

Snowflake: Short for "special snowflake," a pejorative for an entitled person. Most people protesting Trump are "snowflakes," according to the alt-right, as are anti-Trump celebrities and most liberals
." )

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 10:39:04 AM

Neurons: 200,318
Hope123 wrote:
"Political correctness: Anything that challenges an alt-right person's right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, in any way they want to say it. According to the alt-right, political correctness is responsible for most of society's ills, including feminism, Islamic terrorism and overly liberal college campuses.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol-alt-right-terminology-20161115-story.html

BINGO! And as for snowflakes, since it's coming from the right wing extremists, I'm a proud snowflake.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:01:34 AM

This is NOT a joke.

I know that many of you will be asking, "Have some Americans lost their minds?"

1. Many disturbed individuals, who have nothing else to do in their lives, are demanding that statues of General Robert E. Lee, a great Civil War general, be taken down, lest they hurt the feelings of various groups.

2. You already know that.

3. You may NOT know the latest news:

a. There is an announcer whose name is Robert Lee.
b. His job is to announce sports games on TV.
c. His boss has just told him something like this: Sorry, Bob. We can't let you do your job in Virginia. Those disturbed individuals in Virginia were recently screaming and shouting to take down General Robert E. Lee's statue. If we let you announce a sports event in Virginia, those disturbed individuals may go crazy when they hear that your name is Robert Lee. So take a rest for a few days, and we'll let you announce some sports event in another state.

4. In answer to the question that many of you are asking, the answer is YES.

Now you understand how crazy politically correct can be.

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 10:01:44 AM

Neurons: 804,579
TheParser wrote:

This is NOT a joke.

That's ok, we Trump-hating liberals are totally humorless anyway.

TheParser wrote:
I know that many of you will be asking, "Have some Americans lost their minds?"

You may or may not know whom we're asking it about, though. This can make a difference.

TheParser wrote:

1. Many disturbed individuals, who have nothing else to do in their lives, are demanding that statues of General Robert E. Lee, a great Civil War general, be taken down, lest they hurt the feelings of various groups.

You mean the statue around which non-disturbed individuals shouted "blood and soil" and "Jews will not replace us"? And nobody remembered to say "heritage not hate?"

It became about hurting more than feelings the next day.

Lee was tactically great, but his decision to join the Confederacy was treasonous. Why did Lee hate America so much? And why didn't people respect his decision NOT to put up memorials?

TheParser wrote:

2. You already know that.

Well, I knew the factual parts of the last statement. The opinion part, I'm not so convinced.

TheParser wrote:

3. You may NOT know the latest news:

Latest, but not necessarily biggest. Not even close. Still, let's chop logic.

TheParser wrote:
a. There is an announcer whose name is Robert Lee.
b. His job is to announce sports games on TV.
c. His boss has just told him something like this: Sorry, Bob. We can't let you do your job in Virginia. Those disturbed individuals in Virginia were recently screaming and shouting to take down General Robert E. Lee's statue. If we let you announce a sports event in Virginia, those disturbed individuals may go crazy when they hear that your name is Robert Lee. So take a rest for a few days, and we'll let you announce some sports event in another state.

I don't see this as a problem--he's known plenty of time in advance, so he can do his research to be prepared for the upcoming game. It is weird, and a silly, horrible coincidence.

People are reassigned all the time, for reasons big and small.

Also "his job" is not accurate. He is an accountant in Albany with a part-time job of announcing sports games and recently moved up to ESPN. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/business/media/robert-lee-university-virginia-charlottesville.html

TheParser wrote:
4. In answer to the question that many of you are asking, the answer is YES.

Now you understand how crazy politically correct can be.

Crazier than bumping a 4 month old topic, that's for sure! And crazier than me trying to join the cool kids list of people you won't respond to!

It would be a bit weird to have a person named Robert Lee doing this. It's an exceptional case, and ESPN could look silly either way. So they decided to have an awkward stupid episode/moment now rather than later. This feels like standard risk aversion. I suspect most people complaining about this will forget about it in a few days.

The thing is, I can picture MAGA types saying "OMG ROBERT LEE IS IN CHARLOTTESVILLE ARE YOU LIBERALS TRIGGERED YET" so I think either way something silly happens. And I think one thing people have to realize going forward is that the MAGA crowd will figure a simplistic, shaming insult no matter what happens, and then the ringleaders will say "We wouldn't have X if you hadn't Y."

Well, my mind is clear now for that bit of coding I meant to get back to. I've probably been spending too much time here as is this morning.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 10:48:27 AM

Parser Wrote:

"I know that many of you will be asking, "Have some Americans lost their minds?"

We're not asking. We already know that between 34% and possibly 39% of them have lost their minds, their values, and their common sense in a bid for selfish individualism and a return to the 1920 problems that many Americans worked hard to solve.

What we are asking is, "Will this division in the US never end? If there is a new civil war will the winner want to erect more statues?"

What good are statues anyhow? Unless they are memorials commemorating the senseless deaths of war to remind us to stop fighting, then they are worthless antiques glorifying the winner - that money is wasted on. We all know how fast they would come down if A Developer wanted to use the land to build a tower.

Y111
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:33:49 AM

Neurons: 628
So, the civil war has resumed? Statues first, then probably people. If they "have lost their minds, their values, and their common sense", then talking to them is pointless.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:52:23 PM

Hope - the story of the statues isn't about history and nationhood and all - it is, as are most things in America - about money.

For a start, when a statue's erected it's usually in conjunction with someone who's just done something remarkable. As everyone knows now these statues went up a) when black Americans were talking about enfranchisement, and b)during the Civil Rights movement, so they were, from the beginning, propaganda tools used by the republicans.

Go and take a look at the statues coming down: they just fold up, or smash into thousands of bits. Bit silly for a monument which is supposed to endure for centuries, yeah? UNTIL the monumental mason firm who has been supplying them got all those sudden orders and the bloke was at it day and night. So - easy-peasy - they just made temporary statues, made up to look like solid iron/brass/stone etc.
Plus they were so much cheaper. A little town down on the Mississippi wouldn't be able to afford the thousands a proper statue costs, they got these ones for around $400. Bargain!.

However, if any of these patriotic towns were so strapped they couldn't scrape $400 together there's this Daughter of America-like association who pay it for you. Their name appears on every plaque somewhere. They are, of course, a Republican propaganda group.

Anyway, canny old republicans, hey? Their temporary statues coming down isn't any great loss as they were only play-play statues anyway. And the best is that if any replacement statues do go up that same monumental firm makes even more money because they'd be the real, solid deal and much money will change hands.

(I know you don't like history, Hope, - but I find it invaluable when it comes to making up my mind:- just another cheap, smutty scam - no finer feelings, no love of country, and certainly no principles. Just more scamming, cheating, conning the people. )

As I have been wont to say before: - tant pis!!
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 4:01:56 PM

Ro, well I always say that it's always about the money - thanks for filling in the history for me. It's not that I don't think we should pay attention and learn from history, but that people want to rewrite or change it and I'm afraid they have to learn that life does not come with an eraser.

When I said there are valuable statues and monuments, I was thinking about monuments such as Vimy Ridge and those commemorating the soldiers who lost their lives fighting so we could have free speech and the right to assemble - without hate speech. And statues of CDN and British generals who saved us from the US in 1812 etc. A country should have those, it seems to me. But that is different motivation than what you and Progpen are describing.

progpen
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:00:26 AM

TheParser wrote:
"Have some Americans lost their minds?"

The only people in the US who have lost their collective minds are those who have backed a malicious, willfully ignorant, bigoted sociopath and are now either openly backing the "big smile" or defending them by keeping quiet and looking the other way.

My own personal opinion is that those who keep quiet and look the other way are as much monsters as those "big smiling".

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:45:32 PM

Not, actually, just your opinion Prog. Remember "The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"?

Burke, at least, was 100% on your side.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:21:02 AM

UPDATE for fair-minded readers

Only 28% of the American people (according to the latest public opinion poll) feel that there is still freedom of speech here in the United States of America.

As some very insightful commentators have pointed out, the "liberals" have become so devoted to 100% toleration that they have become intolerant. This always happens to fanatics.

As the poll shows, the "liberals" have used their control of the media (newspapers, TV news, motion pictures, etc.) to intimidate their opponents into silence.

The "liberals" are now working to close down any websites that they do not like. (An important search engine last week closed down one, and it promises to work with the "liberals" to close down more.)

Freedom of speech in the United States of America R.I.P.

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:26:34 AM

TheParser wrote:
UPDATE for fair-minded readers

Only 28% of the American people (according to the latest public opinion poll) feel that there is still freedom of speech here in the United States of America.

As some very insightful commentators have pointed out, the "liberals" have become so devoted to 100% toleration that they have become intolerant. This always happens to fanatics.

As the poll shows, the "liberals" have used their control of the media (newspapers, TV news, motion pictures, etc.) to intimidate their opponents into silence.

The "liberals" are now working to close down any websites that they do not like. (An important search engine last week closed down one, and it promises to work with the "liberals" to close down more.)

Freedom of speech in the United States of America R.I.P.

You know, when you say stuff like this, you really should provide quotes. You say you're computer illiterate, but 4000 posts later on a message board...it's common courtesy to provide a link. Making people do the research for opinions we disagree with is more than a bit rude.

If the site you are talking about is DailyStormer, then good riddance. Free speech doesn't extend to inciting violence. These scumbags belong on the Dark Web. And it wasn't government action so much as hosting companies repeatedly deciding they did not want to be associated with vile filth that called Heather Heyer names, because that sort of thing was against their own stated code of conduct for customers.

progpen
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:36:20 AM

It's an absolute fact that 98.75% of US citizens think it's acceptable to use made up statistics as long as it makes them sound credible.

Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:51:02 AM

Neurons: 385,004
TheParser wrote:

You seem to have changed your tune!

TheParser wrote:
Please do not let "statistics" mislead you.

From Gun Violence by the numbers

TheParser wrote:
As you know, there are three types of lies: lies, d-mned lies, and statistics.

From Thank you, Fox News
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:27:21 AM

Of course, most of you have never heard of Howard Dean.

He's a "liberal" who wanted the 2004 "Democratic" Party nomination for president.

Now he is one of the talking heads that appear on "liberal" TV shows to bash our president.

I have just heard that he recently publicly opined that anyone who votes for a Republican candidate in the 2018 Congressional elections is a racist.

And I have just heard that someone wrote an article in the super-"liberal" "Huffington Post" website saying that anyone who joins the American armed forces is a racist.

Many "liberals" have become totally unhinged since the election.

They think that playing the race card will help them.

Those mentally fragile individuals are playing with fire.

No doubt there are at least a few rational "liberals" who are alarmed by the sheer craziness of their fellow "liberals."

Some people familiar with mental health issues opine that people who are absolutely obsessed with race, gender, etc. are trying to hide something from other people and -- above all -- from themselves.

tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:05:47 AM

TheParser wrote:

I have just heard that he recently publicly opined that anyone who votes for a Republican candidate in the 2018 Congressional elections is a racist.

You have just heard this. Can you tell us his exact words, and can you tell us where and when he said/wrote them?

Quote:
And I have just heard that someone wrote an article in the super-"liberal" "Huffington Post" website saying that anyone who joins the American armed forces is a racist.

Have you checked the exact words in the Huffington Post?
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:07:12 AM

TheParser wrote:

Of course, most of you have never heard of Howard Dean.

He's a "liberal" who wanted the 2004 "Democratic" Party nomination for president.

Now he is one of the talking heads that appear on "liberal" TV shows to bash our president.

You underestimate some of us Americans. I remember 2004. I voted for Dean in the Democratic primary. He did well building up the DNC to make Nancy Pelosi speaker in 2007. Good times.

Here's the quote from the fiscally conservative/socially liberal Howard Dean:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/howard-dean-this-may-be-the-moment-that-turns-america-away-from-the-republican-party/

Quote:
"I think this may be the moment for Trump last weekend. Today in the 2018 elections, if you vote for a Republican, you’re supporting Donald Trump. This has now become a referendum. If you want to vote for a racist in the White House, then you better vote for Republicans. But if you want to vote for Democrats and really have change, that’s where I think America is going. And I think there’s a lot more decent Americans than there are the kind of people who were supporting the folks in Charlottesville, and Trump is in the minority, and that’s what the polling shows. So I think this may be the moment that turns America away from the Republican party, which frankly, long before Donald Trump, was dog-whistling race, gay rights, immigrants, and Muslims."

So he is not calling people racists, but he is saying that you are voting for a racist. These are two different things.

In the other thread, you say "Bingo!" to it being a lie to misrepresent what someone said. Even if you believe someone implies something, if they didn't really say it, you shouldn't say they did.

So even though you are playing telephone with what you heard, well, are you telling a lie now? Or did you just not check your sources carefully enough?