The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Andrew Johnson Avoids Impeachment by One Vote (1868) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
Andrew Johnson Avoids Impeachment by One Vote (1868)

Johnson became president following Abraham Lincoln's assassination. When he attempted to dismiss his Secretary of War without senatorial consent, congressional leaders—for the first time in US history—sought to remove the president from office. Their first attempt failed, but in 1868, the House passed a resolution of impeachment against him. During the trial, the charges proved weak, and the two-thirds vote needed for conviction failed by one vote. Which senators voted against their party? More...
thar
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:53:38 AM

Neurons: 80,313
I always think impeachment is the wrong word for serious political crises like this, an Nixon. It just makes me think of peaches, and being in peaches, and impeached, and gooey squishy all around fun (sorry, got carried away there!!!.

anyone else get the same vibe off this, or is it just me???

sisikou
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:27:29 AM

Neurons: 4,880
Andrew Johnson must be too unkind. He forgot to buy the other senators peaches...
(Thar, you sure the picture's not tomatoes?)

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth
GabhSigenod
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:26:52 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Yes the perception of the impeachment process is a messy ordeal.

Mise, tá mé lán de dea-fhortún.
thar
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:56:43 AM

Neurons: 80,313
sisikou wrote:
Andrew Johnson must be too unkind. He forgot to buy the other senators peaches...
(Thar, you sure the picture's not tomatoes?)

yeah, it is tomatina I think, or some tomato throwing fest.

But it was the closest I could get to what I envisioned. As far as I am aware there is no major peach squashing festival, except in the image in my mind every time I see or hear the word 'empeachment'!!

kitten
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:42:41 AM

Neurons: 7,420
Daemon wrote:
Andrew Johnson Avoids Impeachment by One Vote (1868) Johnson became president following Abraham Lincoln's assassination. When he attempted to dismiss his Secretary of War without senatorial consent, congressional leaders—for the first time in US history—sought to remove the president from office. Their first attempt failed, but in 1868, the House passed a resolution of impeachment against him. During the trial, the charges proved weak, and the two-thirds vote needed for conviction failed by one vote. Which senators voted against their party?

impeach

late 14c., "to impede, hinder, prevent," from Anglo-Fr. empecher, from O.Fr. empeechier "hinder" (12c.), from L.L. impedicare "to fetter, catch, entangle," from L. in- "in" + pedica "shackle," from pes (gen. pedis) "foot." Sense of "accuse a public officer of misconduct" first recorded 1560s, via confusion with L. impetere "attack, accuse." www.etymonline.com

im·peach   /ɪmˈpitʃ/
[im-peech]

–verb (used with object)
1. to accuse (a public official) before an appropriate tribunal of misconduct in office.
2. Chiefly Law . to challenge the credibility of: to impeach a witness.
3. to bring an accusation against.

–noun
6. Obsolete . impeachment.

World English Dictionary
impeach (ɪmˈpiːtʃ)

— vb
1. criminal law to bring a charge or accusation against
2. ( Brit ) criminal law to accuse of a crime, esp of treason or some other offence against the state
3. chiefly ( US ) to charge (a public official) with an offence committed in office
4. to challenge or question (a person's honesty, integrity, etc)

[C14: from Old French empeechier, from Late Latin impedicāre to entangle, catch, from Latin im- (in) + pedica a fetter, from pēs foot]

im'peacher <<<<< http://dictionary.reference.com

I do believe the above pictures are tomatoes. I can't remember what country this takes place in but all I can think of is how many jars of sauce I could put up when I see this yearly event.Brick wall Brick wall Boo hoo!

peace out, >^,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
ttiwkram
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 2:35:19 PM

Neurons: 9
Andrew Johnson did not avoid impeachment by one vote; in fact, he did not avoid impeachment at all. After he was impeached, he avoided CONVICTION and removal from office by one vote.