The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Advice? Where to Travel in the UK and Europe in Summer? Options
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:51:35 PM

Neurons: 34,381
It looks as if we have airfare tickets to use up by October this year. I have always wanted to go to Europe, and Scotland and England where our ancestors came from. We do not want a cruise or a tour. I would like to stay on the ocean for part of it if it is not too expensive, and to see the famous Swiss mountains. Not hike them. ;) I don't even know which cities you can see the mountains from or if there are any on the ocean where you can do both. I don't know if my husband's relatives would be able to accommodate us for a few nights or not in Scotland. I'd love to do Germany and the Nordic countries too but that would be too much in one trip - probably for two weeks.

I have never been and know nothing about cost of living or where the expensive areas are to stay away from. A B & B would be fine if they are more economical. Is it expensive to travel within the countries and to rent a car as we'd probably need to do? Would one fly or drive and ferry between countries?

I guess which country we fly to first would be determined by the cost of the flights overseas.

I know nothing about weather patterns but assume summer is a good time to go.

I just started to search online but some ideas where to start would help.

People on here are very helpful so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:28:05 PM

Neurons: 35,640

Oh, Hope: I think you will be so spoilt for choice you'll have to be very ruthless and direct about which destinations are absolute, bucket-list, I'll-never get another-chance, MUSTS. Pare it down to 4. I'm pretty sure Scotland would be one of those, wouldn't it?

Then I'm sure, between all of us, we'll be able to help you connect the dots. OMG! I'm so excited for you! You are going to blow your minds!! And anyway, it'll only be 13 days to plan because you will, of course, make Brighton into a 1 day trip at least. Won't you??

Ooh. My mind is fizzing with ideas - can't wait to hear from others too, once you've nominated your 4. You can always change your minds later but I'm sure Drago can help you with that barbaric land beyond the wall. (Scotland. And yes, I'm only kidding: Scotland is reputedly wonderful. But we English are not now, and never really have we ever been, Flavour of the Month with the Scots. For good reason)
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:35:58 PM

Romany, Thanks! Yeah, hopefully Brighton and maybe even where Drago is if he tells us where to travel? But I have no idea where to even start. I wish I could meet several others but I won't single anybody else out.

I"ll probably know tomorrow what our options are re the tickets.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:01:02 AM

Neurons: 2,746
One place I would suggest visiting is Avebury.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury/lists/avebury-world-heritage-site

It's a stone circle and henge complex that's about 30 minutes drive away from Stonehenge but less well known, and has some advantages over its cousin. Stonehenge is busy so much so now that people have to buy tickets with time slots to see it, with only a certain amount each time.
Avebury is less busy, when I was last there it was only us and 3 other families.
At Stonehenge everything is regulated you get on a shuttle bus at the visitors centre are driven up to the site, walk along the path with everyone else take your photographs then get on the bus again. At Avebury you can get close enough to the stones to touch them if you wished to.

One thing to bear in mind is that wherever you are in the UK you are not too far away from the Sea, unlike the vast distances in countries like Canada or Australia, off the top of my head I think the furthest point inland anywhere is around 130 miles drivable in a few hours.

I would consider hiring a car to drive around, there are so many places to visit as Romany says.
The Roman baths in the city Bath which are quite close to Stonehenge, although parking is a problem there you need to,use Park and Ride.
The drive along Hadrians Wall is great you can visit a number of Roman sites such as Corbridge Roman Town, Vindolanda fort Sycamore gap and Housteads.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/housesteads-roman-fort-hadrians-wall/
Housteads is an intresting place, and the views around Scyamore gap are spectacular.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:55:32 AM

Neurons: 325,622
If you're looking for a place to visit in Europe, I can only say that Ghent is an absolutely lovely city. ;)
It doesn't hurt that Belgium's pretty centrally located so other countries become easier to reach!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:09:33 AM

Neurons: 131,196
Lotje1000 wrote:
If you're looking for a place to visit in Europe, I can only say that Ghent is an absolutely lovely city. ;)
It doesn't hurt that Belgium's pretty centrally located so other countries become easier to reach!

And the old Duke of Lancaster - John of Gaunt - came from Ghent!

Hi Hope!
So MANY things to see!

Just don't expect sunshine, but don't be surprised if it's scorching.
Don't expect any warm sea - ever.

The only thing predictable about the British weather is that it's going to change within the day.

A day in Edinburgh, with a one- or two-day tour around the lochs and the highlands.
If you like historical places, Avebury, Bath/Bristol, Caer Camel ('Camelot') and Glastonbury Tor.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:18:37 AM

Neurons: 59,058
I wouldn't advocate a trip out of your way, but remember Iceland is actually almost on your way - some international flights stopover but only for 24 hours. At least one offers a long stopover, though. To the best of my knowledge.

Not hot. Not even warm, necessarily. But light.

I mean, if you are going to be crossing the Atlantic anyway.....
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:45:09 AM

This is what I got this morning from the wife of our friend who had a 5 week tour of Europe with war memorials as his focus:

"He said Switzerland was the most expensive place. You can see all the mountains from Austria. He does think your husband would love Germany. And he said Dresden is really cool. But also liked Munich. And in England there are a ton of people. France is overrun with refugees."

My sister-in-law also said Switzerland is expensive - $40 per person for a simple lunch.

We have to deal with a lower CDN dollar every place I have checked. Like 35 cents on the dollar and a lot more with the British pound.

Iceland - maybe shorten a long flight for old folks?

Belgium? (Poirot's beloved country.)

We will have to get in shape for this. Still have not heard final word re tickets.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:59:27 PM

Don't anybody go into any more trouble yet. My husband talked to our friend who just toured there and he has discouraged him. He told him about no elevators and all the walking he'd have to do. And my husband drove on the wrong side as a young man but would not do so now.

Anyhow, we 'll have to talk and look more carefully at logistics. I just so wanted to go.

Thanks, everyone. We'll see how it plays out and I have this info to show him. He's probably older than most of us on here and I surely don't want to kill him! :)

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 8:20:06 AM

Neurons: 238,642
From UK, take a flight to Stockholm, and from there a ferry to Helsinki.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.