The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is Angling a Bloodsport? Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:08:45 PM

Neurons: 66,411
Pierced through the mouth with a sharp metal hook; dragged out of the water, convulsing and struggling, into an environment where they can’t breathe; and killed outright, left to suffocate or flung back into the water, traumatised and sometimes fatally injured – fish suffer horribly at the hands of anglers.

People who fish would have you believe that their pastime is all about contemplating the tranquillity of nature. In reality, it’s a violent, callous blood sport. If people were doing to dogs and cats what anglers do to fish, they would rightly be put in prison.
When they are yanked from the water, fish begin to suffocate. Their gills often collapse, and their swim bladders can rupture because of the sudden change in pressure. It’s a truly horrific experience for the animals – who feel pain, just as we do.

Dr Donald Broom, a former scientific adviser to the British government, explains, “The scientific literature is quite clear. Anatomically, physiologically and biologically, the pain system in fish is virtually the same as in birds and mammals”.

Why do some persons are vegetarians, in non-veg countries of the world?

Only theists can feel the pain.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:04:03 AM

Neurons: 57,149
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
It’s a truly horrific experience for the animals – who feel pain, just as we do.

This is a truly preposterous claim. And this...
Quote:
Dr Donald Broom, a former scientific adviser to the British government, explains, “The scientific literature is quite clear. Anatomically, physiologically and biologically, the pain system in fish is virtually the same as in birds and mammals”.

...does nothing to support that preposterous claim. Yes indeed the physiology of the pain center is most likely extremely similar to that in more complex life forms; however, fish entirely lack any of the brain physiology, or centers that can even remotely, be equated to the experience of pain.

I swim; therefor, I am, said no fish ever.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:38:25 PM

Neurons: 57,149
My apologies Ashwin for the knee jerk rant above. I was too late to edit it and tone it down a bit. Your post reminded me of a time I endured a ranting vegan berating me as a sadist and murderer as I tried to eat my cheeseburger at a university cafe years ago.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:59:49 PM

Forget, Epiphileon, my friend. HE sees the truth and fogives the confessioner..

Given the broad scientific consensus that fish can probably feel pain, it has been suggested that precautionary principles should be applied to commercial fishing, which would likely have multiple consequences.

Both scientists and animal protection advocates have raised concerns about the possible suffering (pain and fear) of fish caused by angling.

Other societal implications of fish experiencing pain include acute and chronic exposure to pollutants, commercial and sporting fisheries (e.g. injury during trawling, tagging/fin clipping during stock assessment, tissue damage, physical exhaustion and severe oxygen deficit during capture, pain and stress during slaughter, use of live bait), aquaculture (e.g. tagging/fin clipping, high stocking densities resulting in increased aggression, food deprivation for disease treatment or before harvest, removal from water for routine husbandry, pain during slaughter), ornamental fish (e.g. capture by sub-lethal poisoning, permanent adverse physical states due to selective breeding), scientific research (e.g. genetic-modification) may have detrimental effects on welfare, deliberately-imposed adverse physical, physiological and behavioural states, electrofishing, tagging, fin clipping or otherwise marking fish, handling procedures which may cause injury.
Legislation

In the UK, the legislation protecting animals during scientific research, the "Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986", protects fish from the moment they become capable of independent feeding.[88] The legislation protecting animals in most other circumstances in the UK is "The Animal Welfare Act, 2006" which states that in the Act, " “animal” means a vertebrate other than man", clearly including fish.

In the US, the legislation protecting animals during scientific research is "The Animal Welfare Act". This excludes protection of "cold-blooded" animals, including fish.

The 1974 Norwegian Animal Rights Law states it relates to mammals, birds, frogs, salamander, reptiles, fish, and crustaceans.

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 11:37:39 AM

Neurons: 25,716
Many fish bites if you got good bait ;^)

You needs to slap that sucker into a fry pan until it's good and brown >LOL<

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:10:44 PM

Is the lion less a noble beast because she eats a ram?

We are omnivores. We eat meat and vegetables. Get used to it!

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:13:37 PM

Beautiful line by some writer;

My dinner plate won't let me go vegetarian.
meaning thereby that if I see the slaughtering of an animal, I will go veg.

Your opinion please?

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:20:39 PM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Beautiful line by some writer;

My dinner plate won't let me go vegetarian.
meaning thereby that if I see the slaughtering of an animal, I will go veg.

Your opinion please?

Everything ahimsa, with grace and respect.

There are times when I am predator, and times when I am prey. It is what it is.

The name that can be named is not the endless name.

The course that can be run to completion is not the infinite course.

Because we ourselves are not trustworthy we place our trust in gods…

all others need to pay in cash

Think

will
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 1:07:10 PM

Neurons: 4,152
I only eat vegetarian animals. Whistle

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 12:15:50 AM

One doesn't eat animals, but the meat and organs (kidneys, liver, testicles, muscles, brain) of animals.Whistle Whistle Whistle