The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What is a novel if not a conviction of our fellow-men's existence strong enough to take upon itself a form of imagined life... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 63,357
What is a novel if not a conviction of our fellow-men's existence strong enough to take upon itself a form of imagined life clearer than reality and whose accumulated verisimilitude of selected episodes puts to shame the pride of documentary history.

Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 12:38:36 AM

Neurons: 1,833,553
Quotation of the Day

What is a novel if not a conviction of our fellow-men's existence strong enough to take upon itself a form of imagined life clearer than reality and whose accumulated verisimilitude of selected episodes puts to shame the pride of documentary history.

monamagda
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 6:55:35 AM

Neurons: 3,395,668

Context from : A PERSONAL RECORD

I

What is it that Novalis says: “It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment an other soul will believe in it.” And what is a novel if not a conviction of our fellow-men’s existence strong enough to take upon itself a form of imagined life clearer than reality and whose accumulated verisimilitude of selected episodes puts to shame the pride of documentary history. Providence which saved my MS. from the Congo rapids brought it to the knowledge of a helpful soul far out on the open sea. It would be on my part the greatest ingratitude ever to forget the sallow, sunken face and the deep-set, dark eyes of the young Cambridge man (he was a “passenger for his health” on board the good ship Torrens outward bound to Australia) who was the first reader of “Almayer’s Folly”—the very first reader I ever had.

Read more:http://www.gutenberg.org/files/687/687-h/687-h.htm#link2H_4_0001
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 12:17:38 PM

Neurons: 119,066
Daemon wrote:

Isn't it great, when one can try on "reality" - like trousers for example?
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 3:20:59 PM

Neurons: 798,189
Imagination is a great force.
Joemark
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 10:01:34 PM

Neurons: 12,357
What is a novel if not a conviction of our fellow-men's existence strong enough to take upon itself a form of imagined life clearer than reality and whose accumulated verisimilitude of selected episodes puts to shame the pride of documentary history.Joseph Conrad (1857-1924) Discuss