The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

FYI Tips for When Learning Anything - Such As a New Language Options
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:05:09 PM

Neurons: 41,105
This is not really Vocabulary, but since many English learners read this sub forum and not others, I dedided to share this information and thread here. It is just an FYI thread in case it might help someone when learning anything, not just a new language.

I don't know the website I stumbled upon, but the ideas seemed logical to me.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/05/3-habits-of-successful-language-learners/

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
Al-Man
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:09:25 PM

Neurons: 31,732
Hi Hope123. I don't know if it is just my browser (Firefox on my phone) but I can't see any information. Regards Al-Man
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:17:58 PM

Neurons: 178,133
The link works for me. Using Chrome.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:21:20 PM

Al-Man wrote:
Hi Hope123. I don't know if it is just my browser (Firefox on my phone) but I can't see any information. Regards Al-Man

Sorry, Al-man. It works for me on Safari.

I'll see what I can copy or paraphrase.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:35:14 PM

Al-Man wrote:

There are charts and more explanations as well. But here are the main headlines.

Habit No. 1: weekends-only and 9-to-5 don’t cut it

"One of the best predictors of long-term success is doing something on a regular basis...most people who stick with language learning in the long run make sure to spend a few minutes practicing every day or two...What’s more, people in a different cluster of users who study “daily, at bedtime” even seem to reach a slightly higher proficiency. This finding is consistent with laboratory research about the effect of sleep on improved language learning."

Habit No. 2: don’t binge study - basically same as number one - try to do a bit every day or at least every other day and don't try to cram it in all at once. (After cramming for an exam as we all do, how much do we remember when the test is over? my brackets.)

Habit No. 3: review, review, review

(Teachers know review is a very important one - review and practise and test your memory.
When trying to learn a new language I made myself some vocabulary flash cards and did any tests I could find of the material. Of course the best practice is to talk with a native speaker but that is not always practical advice. my brackets)

The information here is not too earth shattering but a lot of us have never really been taught how to learn. I used to recopy notes - long and tedious. Then I read there are better ways to spend your time in learning. I don't know what the consensus is now on note recopying but I wouldn't do it now myself.

Edited - When trying to learn Spanish as an adult, as well as a dictionary, I had a book of 500 Spanish verbs. As well as tenses etc. and conjugating the verbs with derived and similar verbs, it gave the idioms and prepositions that went with each verb. I found that type of book very helpful for learning vocabulary of how native Spanish speakers talk. It was well organized.

coag
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:19:47 PM

Neurons: 4,785
I would say the problem is your browser, Al-Man. I have Firefox 51 in my desk top computer, the link works fine for me.
Al-Man
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:51:25 PM

Neurons: 31,732
Thanks for everyone's response. It is a problem with Ad Block Plus running in Firefox Strange! Anxious
Cheers Al-Man.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:57:14 PM

I never thought of that today but people have had that problem before. If you still can't get it, try this.

http://businessintelligence.com/bi-insights/3-habits-successful-language-learners/

Try this link and then click on "Read Full Story". It takes you to the original article.

If anybody has any other tips for how to apply oneself/learn, please feel free.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 5:32:30 AM

Neurons: 149,104
These tips are correct, from my experience.

One solid day a week doesn't work well, studying when you're tired doesn't work.

"Number of times over the materials equals certainty in application" is a datum I learned many years ago.

It is good if you can find a course which teaches the same way children learn to speak:
A few words,
practice,
a few more words,
practice,
a few inflections,
practice,
and so on.

There are a couple which advertise themselves as being like this, but I don't know how good they are.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!