mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Scientific Answers From A Creationist Perspective Options
Ian Myers
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:37:52 AM

Neurons: 3,420
will wrote:
For a start you are still ...

Your post is spot on. In the book Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters, the author Donald Prothero (a paleontologist and Christian) gives a very interesting account of debating a popular creationist in front of an audience. I'll have to look it up again and post it here. I have the book on Google Play, but it's a poor ebook, the pages are images so you can't search for text.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 8:25:56 AM

Neurons: 41,469

You know, BT (Before Trump) I used to be amused by these kinds of threads. (And, yeah, pretty exasperated too, sometimes)

That was when I (and the rest of the world!) knew that there were some really strange religious sects and communities scattered about the place - but then hey, every country has it's eccentrics so no problem.

Now that we have all been saturated with American politics, and how it is entangled with a particular religion, I no longer find them at all amusing. We have all now become aware of what happens when 'truth' no longer has any value.

If a population has been educated within the paradigms of a religious concept, then believing in myths, accepting the impossible, ignorance of what constitutes truth, proof or fact, being discouraged from curiosity, not knowing how to deconstruct language: are all inevitable.

So the world has ended up with a Trump?
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 8:31:12 PM

Neurons: 25,822
Romany wrote:

You know, BT (Before Trump) I used to be amused by these kinds of threads. (And, yeah, pretty exasperated too, sometimes)

That was when I (and the rest of the world!) knew that there were some really strange religious sects and communities scattered about the place - but then hey, every country has it's eccentrics so no problem.

Now that we have all been saturated with American politics, and how it is entangled with a particular religion, I no longer find them at all amusing. We have all now become aware of what happens when 'truth' no longer has any value.

If a population has been educated within the paradigms of a religious concept, then believing in myths, accepting the impossible, ignorance of what constitutes truth, proof or fact, being discouraged from curiosity, not knowing how to deconstruct language: are all inevitable.

I admit it's grim (I'm looking at property in St. Lucia so I can bug out), but the Fat Lady is still back at the hotel. When she arrives at the venue and starts warming up, then I'll start worrying.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 8:31:12 PM

Romany wrote:

I admit it's grim (I'm looking at property in St. Lucia so I can bug out), but the Fat Lady is still back at the hotel. When she arrives at the venue and starts warming up, then I'll start worrying.

Listening . . .
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 11:25:34 PM

Neurons: 3,912
leonAzul wrote:
Romany wrote:

I didn't know Hillary Clinton could sing! Dancing
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 9:47:14 AM

Listening . . . wrote:
leonAzul wrote:

I didn't know Hillary Clinton could sing! Dancing

I didn't know Hillary Clinton was a lady!
Whistle

Listening . . .
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 1:22:55 PM

Touché, Leon!

Back to OP... Why wasn't this explained in our many religious documents? (Speaking of which...dinosaurs? Why were they left out?) Maybe there is a parallel universe where there is a creator and another that exists solely due to a lucky chance. Think Either way, I find the subject extremely mind-blowing!!
Listening . . .
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 8:59:30 PM

Listening . . . wrote:
Touché, Leon!

Back to OP... Why wasn't this explained in our many religious documents? (Speaking of which...dinosaurs? Why were they left out?) Maybe there is a parallel universe where there is a creator and another that exists solely due to a lucky chance. Think Either way, I find the subject extremely mind-blowing!!

My apologies. The link I provided above was an older discussion on the topic. Please reference this one instead.
whatson
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 9:54:12 PM

Neurons: 2,422
It's a proven killer of boredom to imagine that each and every
universe has a Mr. Trump of a different colo(u)r and shade.

A horse, a horse, a hoarse horse!
will
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 6:08:24 AM

Neurons: 4,325
Romany wrote:

Which is why I’ve always contended (without any meaningful challenge) that the cancer at the heart of humanity is Faith itself – unquestioning belief in the absence of evidence, not to be conflated with confidence based on evidence – regardless of how it manifests itself. The symptoms of this cancer vary from harmless personal mythological ‘truths’ in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence to blowing yourself up in a concert hall full of young people.

The Quran and the Bible are both full of hateful intolerance, dubious morality and scientific absurdities; using unquestioning Faith to balance the disparities between ‘god’s word’ as it's actually written and ones innate humanity and reason is the foundation upon which abhorrent ideologies are built.

leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 8:37:56 AM

Listening . . . wrote:
Listening . . . wrote:
Touché, Leon!

My apologies. The link I provided above was an older discussion on the topic. Please reference this one instead.

Brains

Dancing

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:54:02 PM

Neurons: 42,832
Quote Will: "...unquestioning belief in the absence of evidence, not to be conflated with confidence based on evidence..."

Succinct excellent comparison!

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:31:17 AM

Neurons: 873,698
I believe that a key problem is the difficulty with which the human brain has in comprehending vast lengths of time. For example, if the approximate age of the Earth at 4.6 billion years is compressed into a 24 hour day, then the 200,000 years that Homo sapiens have walked the planet are represented by the last 4 seconds of the last minute of that day. Don't blink. You might miss it!