The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"After You"...Facing Choices Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 11:08:25 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/29/2014
Posts: 877
Neurons: 391,615
Location: Borough of Bronx, New York, United States
In some cultures a younger person is expected to permit his elder to enter a room first. In others, the most important or highest ranking individual enters first. No matter what our traditions, there are times when we find it difficult to allow someone to choose first on important matters, especially when that privilege rightfully belongs to us.

In the Holy Bible we read that Abram (later called Abraham) and his nephew Lot had so many flocks, herds, and tents that the land could not support both of them as they traveled together. To avoid conflict, Abram suggested they part company and generously gave Lot first choice of the land. His nephew took the fertile Jordan Valley, leaving Abram with the less desirable land.

Abram did not insist on his rights as the elder in this situation but trusted his future to God. “So Abram said to Lot, ‘Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me . . . . Is not the whole land before you? Let’s part company. If you go to the left, I’ll go to the right; if you go to the right, I’ll go to the left’ ” (Gen. 13:8–9). Lot’s choice eventually led to dire consequences for his entire family (see Gen. 19).

Today, as we face choices of many kinds, we can trust our Father to guide us in His way. He has promised to care for us. He will always give us what we need. God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him. Jim Elliot

"Father, Your unfailing love and faithfulness guide us in every choice we make.
May our lives speak well of You and honor You today."


From today's 'Our Daily Bread' devotional...be blessed, hedy

Please note: This is not a 'Religion' post, it's a 'Relationship' post, for those who love Him.....'Religion' is a man-made word, however, TFD does not have an optional category.


"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:58:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 3,926
Neurons: 55,607
Hedy mmm wrote:
Please note: This is not a 'Religion' post, it's a 'Relationship' post, for those who love Him.....'Religion' is a man-made word,


Pardon me Hedy but all words are man made. Words are made in order to facilitate accurate information exchange and work best when their definitions are universally accepted. While I do recognize the distinction you wish to make, and agree that there is a huge difference between someone who is merely a member of a religion, and one who has specifically surrendered their life to the lordship of Jesus Christ, and uses only scripture as the guide to their appropriate behavior in service of this God, to say that is not a religion, or that this post is not a religion post, is inaccurate.

Religion:
TFD
1.a. The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe

Merriam Webster
1b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural

Oxford
1 The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Christianity is most accurately adhered to through the belief in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, facilitated by the Holy Spirit, and guided by a steadfast endeavor to conform ones self to the principles elucidated in the Gospels and Epistles. Folks who do this are extremely rare, and in my opinion should be respected. These people can be found in just about any of the various Bible based sects but, even those who do not affiliate themselves with any established variant, e.g. Baptist, Presbyterian, Evangelical Free, etc... are still in a religion.


Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 11:29:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,354
Neurons: 20,448
hedy mmm wrote:
In some cultures a younger person is expected to permit his elder to enter a room first.






Hello, Hedy:

It would be so wonderful if people even in 2017 practiced exquisite manners.

Men should always open doors for women.

Men should always offer their seats to women on a bus.

Both men and women should always show deference to older people.

Both men and women should always stand when approached by a visitor. (During the electoral campaign in the United States, some of the candidates would approach potential voters dining in restaurants, and those potential voters usually failed to stand up to show proper respect.)

Courtesy is, indeed, the lubricant that makes a society run smoothly. (It's great that people in Japan still bow to one another. I hear that bowing is no longer common in China. What a shame, I feel.)




Have a nice day!


P.S. A few weeks ago, I noticed a woman with two young children behind me in a grocery line. I immediately let her go first. She asked, "Why are you letting me go ahead?"

I was shocked by her question. I then answered, "Because you have young children with you." Nowadays, many young people (like that mother) are so unaccustomed to respectful

behavior that it actually confuses them!


tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:29:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,153
Neurons: 52,232
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
TheParser wrote:
Men should always open doors for women.
Men should always offer their seats to women on a bus.


Why?

If one gets to a door before another person who appears to want to pass through, then it's considerate to hold the door open for that person regardless of their age or gender. If a female gets to a door before I do, is there something different about her that requires me to think she is incapable of opening a door for herself?

In my home city of Prague, young/healthy men and women regularly offer their seats on public transport to men and women who seem likely to benefit from this because of age, visible disability, or encumberment with children, etc. That shows consideration.

Does half of humanity need special consideration merely because it's female?
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:20:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/13/2015
Posts: 815
Neurons: 236,070
Location: Dzerzhinskiy, Moskovskaya, Russia
tunaafi wrote:
Does half of humanity need special consideration merely because it's female?

Yes and it's imprinted in the language.



აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
will
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:09:40 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 4,149
tunaafi wrote:
TheParser wrote:
Men should always open doors for women.
Men should always offer their seats to women on a bus.


Why?

If one gets to a door before another person who appears to want to pass through, then it's considerate to hold the door open for that person regardless of their age or gender. If a female gets to a door before I do, is there something different about her that requires me to think she is incapable of opening a door for herself?

In my home city of Prague, young/healthy men and women regularly offer their seats on public transport to men and women who seem likely to benefit from this because of age, visible disability, or encumberment with children, etc. That shows consideration.

Does half of humanity need special consideration merely because it's female?


The problem with using absolutes as examples to general rules is that you inevitably paint your argument into a corner. d'oh!


.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 9:10:56 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,414
Neurons: 37,979
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Hedy, So is the moral of Lot's story that being selfish and thinking of only yourself may not work out? Is there a parallel with roads bing taken today around the world?



Or should it be that Lot should not have chosen at all? I don't know how you would do it but according to the daily devotional, Jim Elliot says he should not have chosen at all but let God choose?

And even looking at it from Abram's POV he actually made a decision too. Not making a decision or letting someone else make it IS making a decision.

::::

I don't quite know how this fits into the Biblical story of rights being given away, but yes, I agree females are quite capable of taking care of themselves. Independence is very important.

However, sometimes when struggling with an extra heavy door on a windy day, it is nice to have someone, anyone, yank on it too to help. But all considerate polite healthy people hold the door for each other and say thank you and you're welcome. It all works out in the wash.

I remember what it is like and always help a Mom get through a door with a stroller and always help anyone less capable - with a walker etc. I rarely run into anyone who is not considerate.

(If my husband holds the door for anyone, and it happens rarely, but if they don't say, "Thank you", he loudly says, "You're welcome". Angel )

However, on the roads they seem to lose some of that politeness. They are always in a hurry.


Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 8:04:27 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,153
Neurons: 52,232
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Hope123 wrote:
If my husband holds the door for anyone, and it happens rarely, but if they don't say, "Thank you", he loudly says, "You're welcome".


That figures!

'Liberals' have this uncanny ability to be snide about what they consider to be fascistic, chauvinistic, racist tendencies.

A young, obviously illegal (I could tell just by looking at her), immigrant once held a door open for me. When I failed to grovel before this attempt to pretend to be human, indeed treated it with the contempt it deserved, she muttered ;F*** you'.

That is typical of this kind of person. Had I (as I should have done) called in the authorities, she would doubtless have accused me of racism.


If our new president is going to get rid of this sort of scum, then it is no wonder that most red-blooded Americans are 101% behind him.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 8:52:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,414
Neurons: 37,979
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Hope123 wrote:
Hedy, So is the moral of Lot's story that being selfish and thinking of only yourself may not work out? Is there a parallel with roads being taken today around the world?

Or should it be that Lot should not have chosen at all? I don't know how you would do it but according to the daily devotional, Jim Elliot says he should not have chosen at all but let God choose?

And even looking at it from Abram's POV he actually made a decision too. Not making a decision or letting someone else make it IS making a decision.



I thought maybe there might be some discussion generated by my actually trying to see if there was something to be learned from the stories but I guess Hedy really wasn't interested in discussing the premises of the stories she posted.



Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 8:55:57 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,153
Neurons: 52,232
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Hope123 wrote:
[quote=Hope123]I thought maybe there might be some discussion generated by my actually trying to see if there was something to be learned from the stories


Optimist!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.