The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

poses Options
Carmenex
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:50:53 AM

Neurons: 4,427
Hi, I would like to please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
When providing services and advice to SI Inc., CBT should consider the economic, environmental and organisational/labour issues affecting the company in its business sector. The (combined effect)/(combination) of stagnant construction labour productivity and shrinking profits margins (due to both a ever more competitive market and a tendency of clients to be more cost-savvy as a result of fears for a new recession) poses a major challenge to construction companies and especially those, such as SI Inc., involved in mega projects. Another SI Inc.’s/company’s big issue is environmental sustainability which requires/means addressing the problems of energy emissions – the construction industry accounts for 25-40% of the world’s carbon emissions – and water consumption. The shortage of skilled labourers/professionals and the need for investing in new talent is/are another/additional/further crucial issue(s?) which the industry is faced with and SI Inc. must/should effectively combat.
sureshot
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 7:58:08 AM

Neurons: 292,646
I suggest that the text be modified as under:

When providing services and advice to SI Inc., CBT should consider the economic, environmental and labour issues affecting the company in its business sector. The combined effect of stagnant construction labour productivity and shrinking profit margins (due to ever more competitive market and a tendency of clients to be more cost-savvy as a result of fears of a new recession) pose a major challenge to construction companies and especially those, such as SI Inc., involved in mega projects. Another major issue being faced by SI Inc. is environmental sustainability which requires addressing the problems of energy emissions – the construction industry accounts for 25-40% of the world’s carbon emissions - and water consumption. The shortage of skilled labourers and the need for investing in new talent are additional crucial issues, which the industry is faced with, and SI Inc. should effectively combat.

Notes:

1. organisational/labour: Sentence 2 mentions "stagnant construction labour productivity". The problems are not organisational in nature. The focus of text is on "labour productivity". In my opinion, the word "labour" fits better.

2. in its: The use of "its" is correct. The pronoun refers to the singular "company".

3. combined effect)/combination: "Combination" generally refers to two or more things usually put together. The expression "combined effect" has a sense of several factors working together.

4. poses: The plural verb "pose" should be used. There are two factors i.e. stagnant construction labour productivity and shrinking profit margins.

5. SI Inc.’s/company’s: You could say "Another SI Inc.’s big issue is ...". However, I prefer to reword it as "Another major issue being faced by SI Inc.is ...". It is better to name the company instead of using the word "company".

6. which requires/means addressing: The word "requires" means "needs" and the word "addressing" has the sense of "start trying to solve the problems/issues. In the given text, the word requires" is better than "means".

7. labourers/professionals: Sentence 2 mentions "stagnant construction labour productivity". The flow of the passage suggests that the word "labourers" fits better than "professionals". A "professional" is someone who has a lot of experience and does something very skillfully.

8. is/are another/additional/further & issue(s?):There are two subjects (issues) i.e. "the shortage of ... " and "the need for ...". So, the use of plural verb "are" is correct. The required text should be "are additional crucial issues, which the industry is faced with, and SI Inc. should effectively combat". The word "additional" has the sense of "extra". The word "another" means "one more person or thing of the same type". Here, some more issues are being mentioned. The plural noun "issues" is correct because two issues have been mentioned.

9. must/should effectively combat: The modal "should" is better suited to the text. The modal "must" has a sense of "obligation" because it is necessary or important, or because of a law or order. The modal "should" is used to say what is the right or sensible thing to do. In my view, the use of modal "should' fits the desired purpose.

Carmenex
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 9:41:43 AM

Neurons: 4,427
sureshot wrote:
I suggest that the text be modified as under:

When providing services and advice to SI Inc., CBT should consider the economic, environmental and labour issues affecting the company in its business sector. The combined effect of stagnant construction labour productivity and shrinking profit margins (due to ever more competitive market and a tendency of clients to be more cost-savvy as a result of fears of a new recession) pose a major challenge to construction companies and especially those, such as SI Inc., involved in mega projects. Another major issue being faced by SI Inc. is environmental sustainability which requires addressing the problems of energy emissions – the construction industry accounts for 25-40% of the world’s carbon emissions - and water consumption. The shortage of skilled labourers and the need for investing in new talent are additional crucial issues, which the industry is faced with, and SI Inc. should effectively combat.

Notes:

1. organisational/labour: Sentence 2 mentions "stagnant construction labour productivity". The problems are not organisational in nature. The focus of text is on "labour productivity". In my opinion, the word "labour" fits better.

2. in its: The use of "its" is correct. The pronoun refers to the singular "company".

3. combined effect)/combination: "Combination" generally refers to two or more things usually put together. The expression "combined effect" has a sense of several factors working together.

4. poses: The plural verb "pose" should be used. There are two factors i.e. stagnant construction labour productivity and shrinking profit margins.

5. SI Inc.’s/company’s: You could say "Another SI Inc.’s big issue is ...". However, I prefer to reword it as "Another major issue being faced by SI Inc.is ...". It is better to name the company instead of using the word "company".

6. which requires/means addressing: The word "requires" means "needs" and the word "addressing" has the sense of "start trying to solve the problems/issues. In the given text, the word requires" is better than "means".

7. labourers/professionals: Sentence 2 mentions "stagnant construction labour productivity". The flow of the passage suggests that the word "labourers" fits better than "professionals". A "professional" is someone who has a lot of experience and does something very skillfully.

8. is/are another/additional/further & issue(s?):There are two subjects (issues) i.e. "the shortage of ... " and "the need for ...". So, the use of plural verb "are" is correct. The required text should be "are additional crucial issues, which the industry is faced with, and SI Inc. should effectively combat". The word "additional" has the sense of "extra". The word "another" means "one more person or thing of the same type". Here, some more issues are being mentioned. The plural noun "issues" is correct because two issues have been mentioned.

9. must/should effectively combat: The modal "should" is better suited to the text. The modal "must" has a sense of "obligation" because it is necessary or important, or because of a law or order. The modal "should" is used to say what is the right or sensible thing to do. In my view, the use of modal "should' fits the desired purpose.

Thank you, sureshot, for your detailed suggestions. Only one question: do you think that, in the second sentence, it is preferable to replace due to ever more competitive market with due to increasingly competitive market?
sureshot
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 2:00:43 AM

Neurons: 292,646
Carmenex wrote:

Thank you, sureshot, for your detailed suggestions. Only one question: do you think that, in the second sentence, it is preferable to replace due to ever more competitive market with due to increasingly competitive market?

Well, you could use either of the two expressions. On thinking it over, I would prefer:

- (due to the existence of an exceedingly competitive market and a tendency of clients ...)