The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Now that Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:44:18 AM

Neurons: 1,740
Australia will be compelled to make at least two changes now that the Mitchell's, Starc and Marsh, will not play any further part in the series.

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/australia-in-india/india-v-australia-3rd-test-ranchi-pitch-in-focus-as-teams-eye-series-lead/articleshow/57646073.cms
What is the grammatical form and function of "that"?
Thanks
You know who I am
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:39:49 AM

Neurons: 3,584
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Australia will be compelled to make at least two changes now that the Mitchell's, Starc and Marsh, will not play any further part in the series.

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/australia-in-india/india-v-australia-3rd-test-ranchi-pitch-in-focus-as-teams-eye-series-lead/articleshow/57646073.cms
What is the grammatical form and function of "that"?
Thanks

"Now that" acts as a subordinate conjunction showing result; it is the same as: as/since/so..

(Result) Now that I was given my toy, I will never get out of home
I was given my toy, so I will never get out of home (Result)
(Result) I will never get out of home since I was given my toy.

In your sentence used as example, Australia not being compelled to make at least two changes is the result of Mitchell's, Starc and Mash not playing any further part in the series.

I.E.: Australia will be compelled to make at leas two changes because Mitchell's, Starc and Marsh will not play any further part in the series.

Jesus, He is the way, the truth and the life, no one gets to the Father if not through Him.