mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

(Expression) A cheap hotel room? Options
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:42:55 AM

Neurons: 17,875
NOT A TEACHER

Dear Fellow Learners:

I thought that you would like to know this American expression.

Mona: What hotel are you going to stay at?

Raul: I'm going to stay at the Sunrise Hotel. I booked a nice room for only $75 a night. Any other hotel would charge at least $200. Boy! Am I lucky!

Mona: If I were you, I would not stay at the Sunrise.

Raul: Why not? The price is fantastic!

Mona: Did you know that they charge you every time you turn on the TV?

Raul: No.

Mona: Did you know that they charge you every time a maid changes the sheets?

Mona: Did you know that they are going to charge you for a parking space, whether or not you have a car?

Mona: Did you know that they charge you a daily fee for clean towels?

Mona: Did you ...

Raul: Please stop. Now I understand: that hotel nickels and dimes its guests. Thanks for letting me know. I'll cancel my reservation.
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:19:31 AM

Neurons: 8,680
Another good one. I really enjoyed learning the expression.
Thanks, Parser.

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:31:12 AM

You are very welcome, Frosty.

They say that many airlines nowadays nickel and dime their passengers.
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:29:39 AM

Neurons: 24,990
Does it have anything in common with a gender equality, if addressing a woman, Mona, I use a word "boy" beginning with my intricate statement?

Humble student
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:35:17 AM

taurine wrote:
Does it have anything in common with a gender equality, if addressing a woman, Mona, I use a word "boy" beginning with my intricate statement?

Humble student

Great question, Taurine!

When I say, "Boy! Did I have a busy day today," I never think of the gender of the person whom I'm addressing.

For example, if I come home and say to my wife, "Man! What a day I had today at work," I am not thinking of her gender.

I think that it would be strange for me to say, "Woman! What a day I had!"

To me, using "Boy!" or "Man!" is similar to "Wow!"
Peter O'Connor - Dundalk
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:41:19 AM

Neurons: 413,510
The question about "Boy did I have a ****** day"!! Is non gender dependent (for me) I believe.

The question though reminds me of the story about god creating man! Then he created his partner and exclaimed "Wow man"!!! Whistle
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:44:25 AM

Thank you both
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:48:02 AM

Neurons: 100,352
TheParser wrote:
I booked a nice room for only $75 a night. Any other hotel would charge at least $200. Boy! Am I lucky!

I used to stay in this hotel:

The La Salle

$280 a month. There was no TV, they never changed the sheets and I had to use a payphone in the lobby. But I was really happy to have such a cheap room.
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:45:08 AM

In the example, where a monthly charge for a hotel amasses to $280 it is possible to reach an interesting daily charge in the range of $9 and periodically repeating (3) after first decimal. I was for a while thinking about a charge due to at the local laundry for their service, but it seems to be redundant. I am respecting your privacy, Charbin.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:14:07 PM

Neurons: 100,352
taurine wrote:
In the example, where a monthly charge for a hotel amasses to $280 it is possible to reach an interesting daily charge in the range of $9 and periodically repeating (3) after first decimal. I was for a while thinking about a charge due to at the local laundry for their service, but it seems to be redundant. I am respecting your privacy, Charbin.

My English is not perfect so I did not understand if you were joking or what.

I do not know their daily rate but they had a weekly option - $90. There is a laundry close where you can wash and dry your cloths and sheets just for $3 which I did weekly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.9077136,-97.111395,3a,37.5y,331.06h,84.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sixyR4yKJ86lbKC65ZGuFJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

And I really love this hotel. The conveniences are shared but they clean them daily and everything shines. The only nuisance was a little mouse in my room but then what would you expect of such a historic site and to be honest I didn't mind having a company.
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:25:42 PM

Neurons: 1,092
TheParser sir, the qualities and adjectives, you have enumerated of the hotel are sufficient to label it a 'Cheap Hotel'. The room comes afterward.

Deliberate practice of one hour is worth ten hours of normal practice.
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:28:24 AM

Many thanks to Frosty, Taurine, Mr. O'Connor, XX, and TMe for their interesting, informative, and often humorous remarks.

I was thinking about Taurine's great question regarding gender-neutral exclamations.

I think that a pause (in speaking) or a comma (in writing) makes ALL the difference.

What a busy day at the office today! Man! ( = Wow!) I did not rest for one minute today!

What a busy day at the office today! Woman, you won't believe what I am going to tell you now. (I am addressing her directly.)

You have probably heard TV or movie dialogue in which a young lady says to her female friend: "Girl, [ = pause] you won't believe what Raul told me."

Would a female ever use "Boy!" in the sense of "Wow!"? I am not qualified to answer that question.

[I} hope that all of you have a nice day!

Don't forget: Tomorrow is St.Patrick's Day. Americans of Irish ancestry celebrate the history of Irish people here in the United States and remember the beautiful country their ancestors emigrated from.