The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Refused to Resign; Fired by Trump. Plus 2005 Tax Return Options
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:11:23 AM

Neurons: 33,002
"Rachel Maddow looks at some of the questionable dealings by Donald Trump and his inner circle and notes that Preet Bharara, who would have been investigating those questions, was part of the abrupt mass firing of U.S. attorneys by Donald Trump. Duration: 19:59"

It is a long video but if you are interested in the topic it is worth it for the trail. Deutsche Bank and Russian money laundering, huge profits in building turnovers, and other business dealings. There are no accusations but many questions. The changeover of attorneys is not unusual but the way it was done caused speculations. Plus Bharara posted a cryptic tweet.

Attorney with Trump investigations in purview part of mass firing:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/attorney-with-trump-investigations-in-purview-part-of-mass-firing-897203779865

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4307072/Bharara-fired-plan-investigate-Trump.html

There are questions as to the timing of the release of his 2005 tax returns now. The reporter to whom it was mailed says he does not know who did it but he cannot rule out that Trump leaked it himself. The journalist of many years, David Cay Johnston, is being interviewed by Rachel Maddow on her show on this video. BTW -it is legal to accept material sent to a reporter and to release it. The White House called it illegal. It is only the first and last pages so does not reveal the sources of the income.

Exclusive Look at Trump's 2005 Tax Return: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/exclusive-look-at-trump-s-2005-tax-return-898054723694

While looking at that I also saw this video - "Rachel Maddow reports on how the documents filed by disgraced former Trump national security adviser Mike Flynn to declare himself a foreign agent lobbying on behalf of the interests of Turkey also show Flynn making payments to an FBI official at the center of a Fox News-hyped Clinton e-mail scandal that was ultimately debunked. Duration: 4:42

Flynn documents reveal debunked Clinton scandal figure on payroll: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/flynn-documents-reveal-debunked-clinton-scandal-figure-on-payroll-897225795785

Sometimes the longest way around is the shortest way home. Anon
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:18:56 AM

Neurons: 127,740
I thought I had heard that MSNBC got a hold of the full tax records, but I could easily be wrong there. I think it's only a matter of time before all of his records make it into the daylight, I just hope it is soon.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:38:46 AM

Neurons: 380,950
My guess is that this was selectively leaked to make Trump look good. I'm confused why Maddow is giving it much press. Many people on other forums think she took the bait, but on the other hand, her reporting on the Azerbaijan hotel etc. have been very good.

But I'm pleased to see mainstream media addressing that Trump's tax rate is below what other millionaires paid.

This can be spun to look good for Trump. For instance, I read "TRUMP PAID A HIGHER PERCENT THAN SANDERS." But Sanders took some very standard tax breaks and did not make a lot of income, and there are some apples to oranges comparison (e.g. Sanders is not close to Trump's tax bracket.) Taxes are a complex subject. But this looks on the surface good for Trump. Still, it's odd such a long ago year appeared. And I think many people miss the point that Trump would've paid 4% of taxes without the Alternative Minimum Tax, which he wants to scrap.

So I'm confused where this goes. There seem to be many more important things at the moment. But if more financial records are leaked, things get interesting.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
OnTheVerge
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:52:44 AM

Neurons: 287,734
So do we all prog....so do we all! If this were any other POTUS they would have had impeachment proceedings already filed by Congress with the hopes of being able to charge said POTUS with, at the very least, high crimes and misdemeanors! If it was the current Congress and a Democrat POTUS they would be literally calling for his head by nowThink d'oh! Brick wall

BTW, before anyone starts thinking that I'm a bleeding liberal, I have a background in political science & sociology at SDSU. I am neither a liberal nor a conservative. I am in favour of sticking to the constitution and its core beliefs with an eye toward examining AND altering the amendments as necessary to keep abreast with the cultural, sociological, economical and technological advancements and digressions of the times we live in!

With a little luck, 45 will be out of office in time for the by-elections of 2018 Dancing Whistle Pray Drool

Men grow tired of sleep, love, drink, singing, and dancing sooner than war!
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:15:36 AM

Neurons: 17,837
To: Fair-minded readers

My neighbors (who are TFD "guests" but not members) have asked me to calmly explain the situation to you so that you will know the facts.

1. President Trump has assistants who help him run the government.

2. One of those assistants is called the Attorney-General. (He is something like the lawyer for the United States.)

a. Of course, the Attorney-General needs help.

b. So there are 96 people called U.S. attorneys. They are stationed in various parts of the United States.

3. It is the custom that when a new president takes office, all 96 U.S. attorneys resign so that the new Attorney-General can appoint new U.S. attorneys.

3. When President Trump took office, about half of the 96 followed custom and resigned.

4. The other half did not resign, so they were officially dismissed.

5. President Trump's Attorney-General is Mr. Sessions.

a. Many years ago, Mr. Sessions was a U.S. attorney.
b. A new president came into the White House, so he resigned.

The American media "dislike" President Trump very much. So the media are trying to make President Trump look bad by reporting that he is firing all those U.S. attorneys.

He is just doing what all presidents have done.

Please be very careful before you believe all the negative things that you hear about the President.

Have a nice day!

P.S. I have just read that President Trump has ordered that one U.S. attorney be allowed to stay so that she can get her pension. President Trump is a very nice and kind man.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:38:05 AM

TheParser, I think that's only part of the story.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/35aed02cfe574c53b67612c1f85312ab/attorney-general-seeks-resignations-46-us-attorneys

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2017/03/us_attorney_carole_rendon_says.html

Many people probably had other jobs lined up and were able to exit gracefully. But many attorneys took pay cuts to serve. Okay, in some cases, it is an exchange for power, but the fact is that this is different than giving someone at a law firm a golden parachute.

People know that with a new administration, their jobs would be on borrowed time. Obama allowed an exit plan, so people wouldn't just suddenly be out of a job. Sessions asked for resignations immediately. Yes, there would have been the changing of a guard in any case. But if people have given years of service, they deserve a bit more notice before having to clean out their desks. And if Trump did indeed backtrack with Bharara, that's very serious indeed.

Letting one attorney stay to get their pension is a nice gesture, though from what I've read, Sessions asked for resignations of -all- attorneys, and I wasn't able to find evidence with google. But still, this disrupts a lot of lives.

So Trump and/or Sessions is within his legal rights to do so, but it's not a very classy move.

It also echoes Trump asking Obama's diplomats to come home immediately. The problem is that this move disrupts families and may mess with kids' school years, so the grace period is understood. When Trump said he'd disrupt standard conventions--well, these are the wrong ones to disrupt. So when you mention the media dislikes Trump, I think it's fair to point out he's done something dislikeable here and before.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-ambassadors-obama-appointees-233262

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:22:53 PM

What Maddow is interested in is conflict of interest.

In the twenty minute video which I will try to summarize, she is trying to follow one of the money trails, (edited) of which there must be many more and all intertwined. The Deutsche Bank, to whom Trump owes millions, more money than to any other single lender in the world, was recently fined millions by the UK and the State of New York for participating in Russian money laundering through the stock market and fake deals. Their stock went up the day the fine was levied because they were relieved it was not as large as it might have been.

The important point is this -
Bharara would have been investigating that Bank for a federal fine often in the billion dollar range, not just millions.

The chairman of the Deutsche bank went to the Bank of Cyprus, which has a less than sterling reputation, and Wilbur Ross, the new Secretary of Commerce, is a major shareholder of that bank. (I read else where that it has also been suggested that he too should be investigated for his closeness to the Russians.)

The business conflicts also apply to Trump's family. The Kushners stand to gain $400 million and an 80% cut on a loan on a business deal from the sale of the Waldorf Astoria in NY with a company thought to be a front for the Chinese government. The conflict comes in when you consider that the people on The Committee on Foreign Investment are Trump's cabinet! (including Wilbur Ross who paid Trump an exorbitant amount of money for a FL property) So that remains to be seen what they do.

For all those reasons, Maddow says the investigation of the Deutsche Bank and other Trump organization dealings are "sensitive" for the president.

Apparently the Judiciary House Committee wants a list of all ongoing and impending investigations that are being interrupted to see if there is any connection to the firing of Bharara and the asking for resignations of the others.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:29:07 PM

OnTheVerge wrote:
If it was the current Congress and a Democrat POTUS they would be literally calling for his head by nowThink d'oh! Brick wall

I've been calling out the double standards for many years now (since Saint Ronny).

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:30:12 PM

Andrew, I think why Maddow did the Income Tax show saying it really told them nothing, was to interview Johnston and show the following -

The ties and sources are in the missing pages. The main point to accountants is that if he gets his way and changes the Alternative Minimum Tax law, he would have paid many millions less, and so would he and his buddies now. And that is exactly the law he has in his sights. From 24% to 4%.

I would love to pay 20% less income tax. How about you?

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:36:39 PM

TheParser,

Former United States Attorney Bharara, who is well known for his bulldog attitudes for taking down political corruption, was told by Trump after the election that he could keep his job.

Bharara had been asked two days before his Friday firing by watchdog groups to look into Trump's businesses receiving funding from foreign governments, if he is illegally continuing ownership in the Trump organization; Bharara was already investigating Fox News.

Bharara also cryptically tweeted on Wednesday that he knows how the 'Moreland Commission' must have felt. And -
The Moreland Commission was designed by Governor Cuomo in 2013, and then disbanded when it turned its sights to the Governor himself.

Those three factors are what prompted the speculation as to why he was urgently fired. The point beyond the disruption to families that Andrew mentions, is not so much the "doing" as the HOW and WHY the URGENCY. Of course the Conservatives say refusing to resign was just grandstanding, but it did bring the situation to the public.

As mentioned in the OP, it is usual for a "house cleaning" when a new government takes over, but most presidents have done it gradually in order to minimize disruption, not only to the government but to the people and families involved. It has never been done this way before. Other presidents have often kept some of those inherited and it seemed as if Trump was keeping Bharara.

There are no replacements organized, it was a surprise and shock to the system, it is unusual that they were given only hours to clear their desks, and it came right after Hannity on Fox News urged it should be done because of the "Deep State" - that they were leaking information and harming Trump. It SEEMS it was once again an impulsive early morning decision prompted by TV, and not by careful planning and discussion with advisors.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:36:55 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Andrew, I think why Maddow did the Income Tax show saying it really told them nothing, was to interview Johnston and show the following -

The ties and sources are in the missing pages. The main point to accountants is that if he gets his way and changes the Alternative Minimum Tax law, he would have paid many millions less. And that is exactly the law he has in his sights. From 24% to 4%.

I think that what the country sees as the takeaway here is:
1). The current occupant of the White House possibly leaked the 2 pages himself
2). They have not been verified and could possibly be fake
3). They only show what the sender wishes to be shown, since the sender most likely has access to the rest of the document

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:49:15 PM

progpen wrote:
OnTheVerge wrote:
If it was the current Congress and a Democrat POTUS they would be literally calling for his head by nowThink d'oh! Brick wall

I've been calling out the double standards for many years now (since Saint Ronny).

I have never understood this hypocrisy either, as if they are the only morally righteous ones, when it is so obvious to outsiders to often be the opposite.

Progpen, Johnston mentioned that Trump has leaked stuff to his advantage before, so he wouldn't rule that out. But since the White House said it was true, I never thought it might be fake. lol. When so much else they say is...

So much for helping the little people.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:57:45 PM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/trumps-leaked-tax-return-what-accountants-think/ar-AAomD4E?srcref=rss

It showed that he paid an effective rate of 24 percent, far below the top 35 percent rate at the time that a billionaire would presumably have been paying. But if he didn’t have to pay the supplemental tax, he would have forked over a mere 4 percent.

Known as the alternative minimum tax, or AMT, this levy is in President Trump’s gunsights to eliminate in the pending overhaul of the tax code...According to the Form 1040, Mr. Trump paid $36.5 million in federal income taxes on a little over $150 million in reported income in 2005, or 24 percent. Helping matters was the fact he reported a $103.2 million loss that year, which could be part of an almost $1 billion writedown he’d taken on gargantuan losses claimed a decade earlier.

It is interesting to note that when he declared bankruptcy several times, It was NEVER PERSONAL bankruptcy - so others took the fall.

TheParser
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:34:00 AM

Neurons: 17,837
Andrew Schultz wrote:
[1] I think that's only part of the story.

[2] People know that with a new administration, their jobs would be on borrowed time. Obama allowed an exit plan, so people wouldn't just suddenly be out of a job.

Hello, Mr. Schultz:

[1] Thank you, sir, for implying that my post was factual.

[2] That was, indeed, very kind of President Obama. I have read, however, that Attorney-General Sessions is not the only one to quickly "invite" all U.S. attorneys to leave. I read that Attorney-General Reno (under President William J. Clinton) also "invited" all U.S. attorneys to leave immediately. In other words, the media are making a big deal out of nothing.

I do believe that if a President Hillary Clinton had done the same thing, the media would not have paid any attention. I do believe that all fair-minded people (regardless of political views) agree that this is an example of "fake news."

Have a nice day.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:44:34 AM

Hope123 wrote:

The ties and sources are in the missing pages. The main point to accountants is that if he gets his way and changes the Alternative Minimum Tax law, he would have paid many millions less. And that is exactly the law he has in his sights. From 24% to 4%.

It's 83% less, actually :), since he'd have paid 1/6 as much.

But even here, I've read Republican arguments against the AMT for hurting the upper middle class where a very special case might hurt someone, and people think, hey, abolish the AMT, when really it may just need to be adjusted for inflation. It's hard to get around the anti-tax megaphone in this country.

progpen wrote:
I think that what the country sees as the takeaway here is:
1). The current occupant of the White House possibly leaked the 2 pages himself
2). They have not been verified and could possibly be fake
3). They only show what the sender wishes to be shown, since the sender most likely has access to the rest of the document

These are things I definitely considered, but the problem is that this gets into he said/she said territory and the sort of conspiracy mongering that does anything no good.

The thing was that Trump and/or his surrogates (Donnie Jr had a few tweets ready to go) with the obvious frames of "well he did pay a lot of taxes, even more than Bernie Sanders" and I thought this headline might disrupt everything else. So it seemed like a definite short term loss, because this all can obviously be put into a tidy slogan, and that is what people will see. Or they will cry "AL CAPONE'S VAULT."

This seems elitist and frustrated as I'm basically saying the public will get distracted and only remember the 25% tax bracket.

However, I'm pleased the media looked into it to compare Trump to other people in his tax bracket. And the thing is, I'm optimistic Rachel Maddow has a good "watch what he does, not what he says" angle to al this, but then again, I'm biased that way. And my knee jerk reaction was that I was frustrated she drummed up ratings a bit.

And I thought Trump would have the sense not to do anything silly. But instead his lawyer threatens Joe Scarborough for connecting the dots. I mean, Joe Scarborough, who -had- given Trump the benefit of the doubt for a while! I may've underestimated how thin skinned Trump is.

So though there are (even) bigger things to discuss, on reflection I agree with everyone's additional posts. One more common sense reason to be curious about Trump's records, or to show that he doesn't tell the whole story, is valuable in a fair, logical argument, and I think it should help in the political fight we're in.

After all, if Trump supporters claim his comments to Billy Bush 10 years ago don't matter and he's a better person now, why do his tax returns from 10 years ago close HIS issue?

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:49:39 AM

I researched and from what I saw online, you are indeed correct, Parser, about Clinton firing them all the same day without all the media outrage. But perhaps this more enlightened media of today might have reacted the same way back then in the same climate. You can't compare two situations that are not equal in all ways.

I reject your belief and opinion that this report was "fake news". A definition of "fake news" on the Internet is fictitious articles deliberately fabricated to deceive readers, generally with the goal of profiting through clickbait and usually originating from other countries.

Just because the media reacted with outrage does not mean the news was fabricated. It was true. Trump did it. The media asked questions as to why now. And there is still the question of Bharara and the tie to the conflict of interest by Trump and his family which still has to play out.

So you still have addressed only part of the story in the OP. Perhaps you have your own misgivings and don't want to get into it? (BTW - please note the question form. I am surmising and don't want you to take it the wrong way as you did once before with me.)

This media questioning of his motives are of Trump's own making - if he were to share his income tax forms and put his businesses into blind trust those speculations of improper doing would all go away.

As it is, the American tax payer is on the hook for all the security measures taken while his sons and daughter toodle off, making deals in China and opening a hotel in Canada (for which I helped to pay for Canadian security) and using the presidency to advantage for their businesses.

Ivanka's clothing business profits have soared since Conway illegally promoted them.

If some Americans no longer care that there has to be conflict of interest when Trump and his family have Trump organization ties across the financial world in many many countries and many to foreign governments, stand to gain mightily from it, and are helping to form policy working right from the White House, then they are not being realistic that big money and foreign countries have bought their government.

Since you are still bringing up Hillary, the conflict of interest of her Charity work is piddling in comparison.

Where is your outrage against conflict of interest now?

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:03:45 PM

Andrew, I agree. I had not realized Maddow used it ahead of time to hype her ratings. She doesn't need to do that. Her investigarive journalism is good as it is.

I also think that whoever released only two pages, whether true or false, did it to help Trump by deflecting from what the officials are saying about the "wiretapgate" and collusion of the campaign team with Russia.

Yet T is doubling down. Since that is what he always does, who knows. Back tracking into general surveillance does not help - he still accused Obama personally of being a sick man no matter what type of surveillance he had in mind. (Edited to remove a crack about microwaves.)

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:10:45 PM

Hope123 wrote:
I researched and from what I saw online, you are indeed correct, Parser, about Clinton firing them all the same day without all the media outrage. But perhaps this more enlightened media of today might have reacted the same way back then in the same climate. You can't compare two situations that are not equal in all ways.

Just because the media reacted with outrage does not mean the news was fabricated. It was true. Trump did it. The media asked questions as to why now. And there is still the question of Bharara and the tie to the conflict of interest by Trump and his family which still has to play out.

Also, add the wrinkle that Trump told Bharara he (Bharara) could stay, so Trump went back on his word, if we believe Bharara. This reminds me of Trump meeting with Romney about the Secretary of State position just to embarrass him.

I also googled and was unable to find out how Reno asked for their resignations, whether it was immediate or not. And we don't have comparisons (that I can see) to Bush I, Reagan or Carter. I'd be interested in a link for full context. But I also know the GOP quickly ramped up the rhetoric against Clinton once his term started. It's what led to the Republican Revolution of '94 with Newt Gingrich. And Dole...well, Dole was generally an honest man, but he was angling for a '96 Presidential run and to use whatever sound bytes he could.

The thing is that it looks like both Bush Jr and Obama may have established a bipartisan precedent, and Trump immediately went and destroyed that as a way of changing "how we do business in Washington." So it feels like an unnecessary step back from someone who says he wants to take America forward in many ways.

Quote:
Ivanka's clothing business profits have soared since Conway illegally promoted them.

This is big to me because I'd love to see someone dig into. I'd also be interested in follow up sales for this month. I could picture a bagman ordering a ton online and dumping all the goods, kind of like how, say, Ann Coulter's books get bought up and onto the best-seller list. Link with educational video: http://nomadicpolitics.blogspot.com/2014/11/cooking-books-how-conservative-best.html

Why not have someone do the same for clothes?

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:09:07 PM

OMG. I am so naive. I would never have thought of someone being so dishonest as to buy up a product to make a political point. But I guess I don't think like a wealthy person - not too unusual since I'm not. 😀

I know a bit about the Koch brothers but I read in the Canadian media this morning about them as being behind what ever happens in the US government. What is the story there?

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:06:13 PM

Hope123 wrote:
OMG. I am so naive. I would never have thought of someone being so dishonest as to buy up a product to make a political point. But I guess I don't think like a wealthy person - not too unusual since I'm not. 😀

I know a bit about the Koch brothers but I read in the Canadian media this morning about them as being behind what ever happens in the US government. What is the story there?

It was hard for me to believe at first, too. I even said, nah, I'm just seeing what I want to see. But all the same, people who read a lot don't read, well, Ann Coulter etc. All the same though when I see the libraries not stocking these books I can see how people would think this could be libraries' liberal bias.

As for the Koch brothers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_activities_of_the_Koch_brothers#Political_contributions they're tied up with ALEC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legislative_Exchange_Council who ... well, I like what John Oliver had to say about things.

https://youtu.be/aIMgfBZrrZ8?t=780

I'm left feeling American democracy is broken & we have so much to do.

MelissaMe
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:28:06 PM

Neurons: 337,989
So - what? Has Trump not filed any taxes in the last decade?

Aren't his 2005 taxes about as relevant as his grade school report cards?

This is my only now.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:28:08 PM

MelissaMe wrote:
So - what? Has Trump not filed any taxes in the last decade?

Aren't his 2005 taxes about as relevant as his grade school report cards?

Exactly. But where are the rest?

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:51:36 PM

Thanks for the links, Andrew.

I found the link I read this morning about the Koch brothers and what the author reveals is to me the real meaning of 'Deep State'? And Trump says he is independent of this? According to the article, Mike Pence is a recipient of Koch money and was C. Koch's first choice for president in 2012. I wonder how much of this type of thing goes on in the Canadian government. There has to be some of it here too.

I would like to hear any opinions if any American has anything to add about the American government and the Koch brothers in this article which was written from a Canadian standpoint.

"Fighting Fake News about (Canadian) Healthcare"

Anything in brackets is my commentary. The rest is paraphrasing. The link is here so you can check for yourself.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2017/03/16/fighting-fake-news-about-canadian-health-care-mcquaig.html

In an opinion piece, the author explains that whenever "Americans start tinkering with their deeply dysfunctional healthcare system... right wing commentators seek to denigrate our (Canadian) system." (Trump himself slammed it several times last fall.)

A negative example or two is magnified as if to be representative of Canadian healthcare. (I also remember when Obamacare was being introduced how a Canadian woman was paid to exaggerate her claim of having to go to the US for care. Her tumor was deemed to be benign and so she had to wait a bit while the cancer patients were taken care of. Instead she went to the States and then didn't like it when OHIP wouldn't cover her US bills. Republicans made an ad to discredit Canadian healthcare and Obamacare making it seem her care was urgent when it wasn't.)

The analyst who gave (theParser - it really WAS fake news) the fake news that years ago said that all Ontario hospitals had to shut down for the month of December as they had run out of money was from the right wing Cato Institute which C. Koch established in 1974.

This author says the state of healthcare in the US is symptomatic of the Republican taste for capitalism and we have less of that in Canada. She says there is a "virulent " strain now in the Republican Party nurtured by a few dozen billionaires led by the Koch brothers, who have amassed a combined $84.5 billion.

She mentions that the Koch brothers, who hate government and any sharing of wealth, have invested "massively" in "think tanks, academic programs, front groups, political action groups, and campaigns, lobbyists, and politicians - documented by Jane Mayer in her book "Dark Money - that operate behind the scenes. (That to me would be the real meaning of Deep State. I have no real knowledge of these facts. But - Why would anyone who has so much need more and try to stop others from having a crumb from the pie? Sick!)

And Trump says he is independent of this? Well, Mike Pence is a recipient of Koch money and was C. Koch's first choice for president in 2012.

Koch money explains why Republicans are trying to justify stripping health coverage to pay for a $600 B worth of tax cuts for the rich. Some even consider the plan to be too generous to the disadvantaged.

(Anyhow, Canadians are sick and tired ourselves of feeling the reverberations of these machinations up here when our greedy people try to stir up for-profit ideas. It is not statistically true, (less than 0.1%) that we routinely flock to the US for care. We are always working to improve it to keep it sustainable, but we love and take pride in our universal healthcare system.

So American Republican lawmakers, please STFU about Canada's healthcare, now and in the future.)

edited - sorry I got carried away to different topics ...

progpen
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:39:03 PM

I feel that the attention span of the average US citizen is short enough to be astonishing sometimes. Why don't we ask Dan Rather about jumping on leaked documents that might possibly be too good to be true? And in this case, too good to be true seems to mean that it shines a very good light on the current occupant of the White House.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:35:23 PM

progpen wrote:
I feel that the attention span of the average US citizen is short enough to be astonishing sometimes. Why don't we ask Dan Rather about jumping on leaked documents that might possibly be too good to be true? And in this case, too good to be true seems to mean that it shines a very good light on the current occupant of the White House.

A shame - Dan Rather was a news anchor for many years, but will be remembered for one major "blunder". He still says nobody proved the documents were forged. If they were his was an unintentional mistake. He did not set out to mislead anybody. He was mislead if they were forged.

But this reporter just said they were mailed to him and he released them, even mentioning they could have been leaked by anybody, including the WH. There is no way anyone can know if they are legit.

And as Melissa says, who cares about a document 12 years old with 99% of it missing. Except of course his son who says it proves he paid taxes. Whoopee sugar! As if he should get a clap on the back for paying (less) taxes.

He is never going to release the full tax reports that show his ties or put Trump org into a blind trust. That is only for a short time - why all the fuss about doing that? Might lose a few million?

This is all an ongoing story. We will have to wait to see how it all plays out. Will the real GOP help him get rid of the minimum tax if that helps the middle class too? So the poor will be footing the bill?

(Andrew, I just looked at your links - looks as if the CDN healthcare article was correct. It is not just a conspiracy theory.)

progpen
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:36:29 PM

Hope, you are correct that he will never release them. That's why I believe they will be released for him via Wikileaks or similar. However, if/when that happens, we will have to be vigilant and not jump to conclusions.

We still aren't even positive that the Killian documents are fake, but they ruined a great man's career and made other investigative reporters shy away from Dubya and crew.