The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The use of SIR and MA'AM Options
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:46:48 AM

Neurons: 17,832
TMe wrote:
In legal world 'he' includes 'she'. Isn't it strange?

Interesting comment, TMe.

Thanks!
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:07:42 AM

Neurons: 17,832
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

A bunch of politicians in ... Washington can't know ...

Wow!

You have just hit the nail on the head!

In the States, education has always been a LOCAL matter.

It has just become a federal (Washington, D.C.) matter since the 1960s.

Here in my city, "naughty" students were often suspended.

Then a few years ago, the federal government decided that those suspensions were "discriminatory." On pain of losing money, all LOCAL school districts were "asked" to stop suspensions.

Our city immediately stopped them.

Every year, our district boasts that suspensions are now almost non-existent.

The ordinary person probably thinks: "Wow! Isn't it great that all of our students are now so well-behaved?!"

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:42:55 AM

Neurons: 2,348
Romany wrote:

And re Police - it's the same in Australia, PNG & South Africa: even, believe it or not, in China.

Besides which, if cops went around 'sir-ing' and 'madam-ing' to some of the people they have to deal with it would merely be sarcastic and so completely worthless!

I think too, it has to do with the fact that we're brought up to believe people don't automatically deserve respect just because of the clothes they wear (uniforms) or how much money they have etc. They have to earn it.

Yes I think that is the reason, it's something you notice reading some of the things posted by British and Commonwealth posters compared to our American cousins.
When you understand the reason for this cultural difference perhaps it makes it easier to see where each other is coming from?

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:37:57 PM

Neurons: 34,947

Sarrie - "When you understand the reason for this cultural difference perhaps it makes it easier to see where each other is coming from?" yes, that is indeed why I think discussion is so important in learning about the world around us.

And wow! Though he attributed the idea to Drago rather than I, I'm so pleased: this is the first time - ever - that Parsar has not only agreed with something I've said, but has actually endorsed it by saying it hit the nail on the head! As Drago said: we do agree in some things!! Hurrah!