The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You know About Harmful affects of Marijuana?(24) Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 11:00:46 AM

Neurons: 67,018
I regularly contribute towards 'Other health' topic in Answers Forum of Yahoo. I feel anguished when innumerbale teenagers ask questions about using marijuana (weed).It is clear they like it. Why shouldn't it be banned keeping in view its harmful effects?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Peter O'Connor - Dundalk
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 12:54:36 PM

Neurons: 510,159
I lived in or near Amsterdam for 20 years or so. Soft-drugs were and remain an alternative to the (in the opinion of many) the far more dangerous drugs like alcohol and foo-the-shelf painkillers that are still legal.
I don't smoke (at all) and rarely ingest hashish, and only then for medicinal purposes. I'd rather see people take dope than alcohol and will remain of that belief until any doctor or pharmacist proves that there has ever been a single death or major illness from marijuana.
I do not condone it's use (except under medical supervision) of under 18's using it as I don't think the body or mind of teenagers can deal with it. I've read studies on how long-term use by younger people can lead to mental illnesses later in life.
I don't do drugs, except for the odd beer - but if I did I'd choose marijuana above any other.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 1:00:40 PM

Neurons: 890,003
It was illegal in the USA for a while, and I think decriminalization is a good thing. The history of banning marijuana in the US is interesting: the tobacco companies (!) pushed for it, to get a larger share of their own markets.

That's not to say I think marijuana is good. It's just that I've read the history of Prohibition (banning alcohol in the US) and the spike in crime it caused, and I've seen how marijuana laws are used to disproprtionately incarcerate poor people and ruin their lives.

I say this as someone who doesn't smoke marijuana or drink. People who use either and commit a crime should face extra consequences for their action. But people thrown in jail for possessing a small amount of marijuana are being treated harshly and unfairly and become a burden on the system, whether they are in jail or unable/untrained to contribute to society as fully as they could.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:39:54 PM

Neurons: 44,413
I find it just a little strange that our society went nuts over smoking and second-hand smoke, but sees no problem in allowing people to smoke marijuana, the smoke of which is supposed to be inhaled and held in the lungs as long as possible before blowing it out into the air others breathe.

Seems like a major hypocrisy to me.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Kermit the Frog
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 7:18:45 PM

Neurons: 698,479
You are right, FounDit. Anyway, it's quite difficult to analyze various kinds of prohibition - legal aspects, long or short term effects, if they really are a solution or rather a bigger problem etc. What I can't explain to myself is a little more "philosophic": everybody, including the greatest addicts, knows perfectly well that a lot of substances, drugs, alcohol and tobacco being only some of them, are harmful (it's irrelevant to what degree). Then why are there so many people eager to ignore all the warnings and ready to destroy their own bodies and minds?
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 7:38:40 PM

Neurons: 890,003
One of the reasonings is that people smoke a lot less marijuana per capita than tobacco. And, well, marijuana users are more likely to hide their habit.

I think tax dollars pay a big part in the demonization. There's a loop of taxation + demonizing smokers. People call it socially progressive, but I do not think it is fiscally progressive. It's one area where I'm divided with other liberals. I was in bars with smoke eaters and the things seemed to work. And while worker safety should be an issue, having people step out for 4 minutes at 1 AM in a less than safe area of town is its own risk. I've seen people be hassled as they smoke.

This isn't scientific, but after seeing the quick backlash against e-cigarettes, which seem to help smokers quit, I'm worried there is a strong "for your own good" element here, and states need to find a new, fairer revenue besides tobacco taxes. Marijuana taxes might provide some of that, if they could keep it fair.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Diogenes
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 8:38:36 AM

Neurons: 61,931
I agree. Teenagers should be banned from asking questions in Answers Forum of Yahoo because of the harmful effects.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 12:40:02 PM

Neurons: 67,018
Banning teenagers from asking questions won't do.A punitive law will do. ]

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:07:03 AM

Neurons: 4,618
isaaac
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 10:03:35 AM

Neurons: 36,507
Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Applause Dancing Drool Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Boo hoo!
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 11:10:51 AM

Neurons: 42,042
Do you know about all the medicinal effects of hemp and marijuana, if exposed properly? The body has an endocannabinoid system with receptors throughout the body which is why it can help with so many health problems. Smoking anything is not good for the lungs, or for others who get second-hand smoke, but there are vaporizers, oils, edibles, and tinctures that are used for medicinal purposes.

If it is allowed recreationally there must be laws about distribution, no smoking in public places like tobacco laws, and careful control of access to those of younger age, the same as with alcohol.

http://www.businessinsider.com/health-benefits-of-medical-marijuana-2014-4/#-may-decrease-anxiety-6

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 4:57:27 PM

Neurons: 40,668

In the UK one person dies every hour from the results of drinking alcohol. Alcohol is legal.

Not one death has ever been recorded from using marijuana. Marijuana is illegal in many places.

The only differences between places where weed is legal and those where it isn't, is that the former has less crime.

Also, of course, in places where it's legal taxes can be levied on it and it can be a source of Government income. Instead of, as now, it being one of the widest-used commodities from which only gangsters reap the millions and millions of dollars profit. While the taxpayer pays for the incarceration, food & shelter of thousands and thousands of people whose crime was to have one joint, of a perfectly harmless natural product, in their pocket.

There are countries; states; areas enough where marijuana has never been illegal, or has for a long time been legal, for numerous studies, research programmes, social commentators etc. to "compare and contrast". There is no difference in longevity rates,or the general health, of the populations whether it's legal or illegal. Except that the crime rates, of course, are lower in the populations where it is legal.

Based in Australia, the Commonwealth Serums Laboratory has been studying and researching this subject for decades. For detailed analyses go to their website which shares research from around the world.

The value of hemp, too, suffered from basic misunderstanding that it was marijuana - and they've done pioneer work in re-introducing it as a crop...which bears twice in one year. From which hundreds of products from clothing to paper to rope can be made with no need for harsh chemicals. And which is giving farmers a bit of a chance to make the money so many have lost and are still losing, trying to run livestock.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 8:58:05 AM

Neurons: 151,094
The use of hemp and jute is on the increase again - but not hempen ties. There is no call for those now.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 1:27:04 PM

Neurons: 40,668

Oh I dunno, Drago - some nice, hempen ties with little bells attached could be the coming thing for keeping up one's hempen hose.