The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A Day Without a Mexican Options
almo 1
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 12:19:28 AM

Neurons: 2,696

A Day Without a Mexican

When a mysterious fog surrounds the boundaries of California, there is a communication breakdown and all the Mexicans disappear, affecting the economy and the state stops working missing the Mexican workers and dwellers.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 1:36:14 AM

Neurons: 37,079
Is this what you had in mind, Almo?

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can.
almo 1
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:22:39 AM

I thought of this:

Missing Time

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:32:32 AM

Neurons: 190,561
Hope123 wrote:
Is this what you had in mind, Almo?

In the USSR every autumn all university students were deployed in the fields. Girls only picked whatever it was - potatoes, carrots or beets - and filled burlap bags. Only guys lifted those into a truck - it took two guys to lift a bag of 40-50kg and you did it for 8 hours a day. When it's just 3 weeks in a year it is a salubrious exercise. And I remember usually it was cold.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 8:49:10 AM

Neurons: 140,064
A Day without an American!

This is a joke, in case anyone didn't notice.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 9:26:23 AM

Neurons: 20,158
To: Those mainly foreign members and guests who want the calm TRUTH about this subject.

1. My home state California used to be part of Mexico.

2. In the mid-1840s, the United States started a war in order to seize it. (A young Abraham Lincoln opposed the war.)

3. For many years, the Mexican-American community (Americans of Mexican ancestry) was relatively small here in Los Angeles.

4. For many years, the United States would let Mexican farm workers come to California to temporarily work in the fields.

5. Things began to change in the 1970s because of bad economic conditions in Mexico. More Mexicans came here legally and illegally.

6. Things really began to change as many people from Central America (especially El Salvador) came here because of violent civil wars in their countries.

7. Today in Los Angeles, Hispanics (Mexicans, Central Americans, and South Americans) are the largest single group in the city.

8. It is perfectly true that if every Hispanic went on strike, the city would be in deep trouble.

a. For example, the majority of public (government-sponsored) school students are Hispanic. We recently had "A Day Without an Immigrant." The schools asked the students to attend school as usual. They DID.

9. Most impartial and objective observers (including the United States government) forecast that eventually Hispanic people will become the majority ethnic group in the United States.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 9:49:56 AM

Thank you for all that data.

A lot of it I knew 'basically', but not the details.

I have a further 'detail' question which you may be able to answer.

You say "Hispanics".
Are these people's roots ethnically "Spanish/European" or "American/Mayan/Aztec"?

I have heard both opinions.

From observation, to me, the facial features of most "Hispanic" people I have seen are American, rather than European. They don't look like your typical Spaniard.
Hispanic seems to be the wrong adjective.

As a side-comment, if that is correct, that would mean that the Hispanics are the natives and the European-based people would be the immigrants.

TheParser
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 10:10:42 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

As a side-comment, if that is correct, that would mean that the Hispanics are the natives and the European-based people would be the immigrants.

I do NOT know enough to answer your question regarding the word "Hispanic."

Hopefully, a well-educated member can inform us.

Yes, I guess that you can say that the people who came after Columbus were "immigrants." By the way, don't some people believe that some Scandinavians or Chinese came here before Columbus?

I am sure that you have heard what a member of President Trump's cabinet said. Dr. Carson said that American slaves (who were forced to come here on slave ships) were "immigrants"!
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 10:29:26 AM

Neurons: 190,561
TheParser wrote:
Trump's cabinet said. Dr. Carson said that American slaves (who were forced to come here on slave ships) were "immigrants"!

Those were probably the first legal immigrants and hence are not subject to deportation. :)

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 11:33:12 AM

The Purser wrote: Hopefully, a well-educated member can inform us.
As with most questions in these 'non-scientific' areas, the answer is probably really "Well, it depends on how you look at it . . ."

I would guess that most Mexicans, Colombians and so on are now of 'mixed ancestry' with some Spanish/Portuguese/European and some Aztec/Comanche/Apache/Carib American ancestors.
In the same way, most USA citizens will be mixed English, German, French, Italian with odd bits of African, Asian, Oriental and American - though past discrimination will have reduced the mix somewhat.

I'm fairly convinced on the Lief Eriksen theory. Skipping across from Iceland to Greenland to Nova Scotia and down the Atlantic seaboard is quite feasible.
Some of the other theories about Phoenician sailors or Greeks and Romans or Egyptians in reed boats are a bit wild.
I don't know the theory about the Chinese, but I could imagine some adventurous Japanese making his way across to San Francisco. . . .

I just looked at the map of the North Pacific, and you can travel from Yokohama to San Francisco, "island hopping", without going off into the ocean really.
From Japan through the Kurile Islands to Petropaylowski in Russia, across the Commander Islands to the Aleutian Islands to southern Alaska and then down the coast.
A much simpler trip that Europe to eastern USA.

The African people brought to the USA a couple of hundred years ago are immigrants - but only to the same degree that the European 'founding fathers' were.
My son-in-law is a classic - born in London to English parents, but their parents were from St Kitts & Nevis in the Caribbean and most of his great, greats were from Texas while their ancestors were from Nigeria. So he's a five-times immigrant as he now lives in the USA again.

TheParser
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:33:59 AM

Thanks for the interesting comments, DragOnspeaker.

I DO know (I think!) that on the census forms, people are asked whether or not they are "Hispanic."

If they say yes, then they are asked to choose which racial ethnicity they identify with.

For example, it is possible for a person to be a "Hispanic" of Asian ancestry.

Romany
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 7:42:52 AM

Neurons: 37,030

Drago -

Just a note about Chinese being in America.

One of the books that got burnt was about the 17thCentury sea-voyages ordered by a Chinese emperor. He sent a fleet out to 'discover the world' and establish colonies. Unfortunately, by the time they got back another Emperor had ascended who wasn't in the least bit interested. So the people left behind either died or integrated with the local people. It's all documented but I can't remember the name of the book. However, it would be pretty simple to find because the title is merely a year: "16.." To my utter shame have forgotten the year!

Interestingly, there is, to this day, an Aboriginal tribe with Chinese DNA to prove the truth of this claim - and there is also the last remains of a 400yr old ship near to Byron Bay in NSW. I saw it some years ago but am told that now only the keel remains.

That's also the reason we call a particular fruit "Kiwi fruit". The Chinese landed in New Zealand before even the Moaries arrived and planted crops. One of them survived after the small colony had failed - it was the green 'hairy' fruit Westerners found growing in NZ.
As they'd never been to China they didn't know this was an introduced species so they wrongly called it "Kiwi" fruit as they thought it native to New Zealand.

And yes, they did go to both Canada and America. From my sketchy details perhaps you'll come across the book (I've seen it in Charity shops for 50p) and it'd be well worth getting hold of: it's a real eye-opener.
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:14:07 PM

wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamada_Nagamasa

Yamada Nagamasa (1590 – 1630) was a Japanese adventurer who gained considerable influence in the Ayutthaya Kingdom at the beginning of the 17th century and became the governor of Nakhon Si Thammarat province, which is on the Malay Peninsula in present-day southern Thailand.

Yamada Nagamasa is alleged to have carried on the business of a privateer from the period of 1620, attacking and plundering Dutch ships in and around Batavia (present-day Jakarta).

Stories of Yamada burying his treasure on the east coast of Australia (and in particular, Magnetic Island off Townsville) persist but it is highly unlikely that Yamada would have ventured into that area as there were no trade routes in this region and the only ships to venture to this region were the ones blown off course during the summer storms.

Furthermore, Yamada would have passed thousands of islands in the Torres Strait and Coral Sea and these would have provided safekeeping for any treasure and avoided a very long recovery voyage in the future.

almo 1
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 10:48:52 PM