mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

(Expression) It's very hot in here Options
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 8:46:18 AM

Neurons: 20,183
NOT A TEACHER

Dear Fellow Learners:

Do you know this expression? Someday you may wish to use it.

Mona: Well, how do you like our Latin class?

Raul: I love Latin. I love our teacher. But I really dislike our rude classmates. I'm thinking about dropping [leaving] the class.

Mona: Yeah, I know what you mean. Many of them think that they are smarter than we (are). They also come from wealthier families, so they think they're better than we [are].

Raul: I don't like their always ridiculing me for my bad Latin pronunciation. And saying nasty things about my inexpensive clothing.

Mona: Well, you know what they say: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Raul: You're right. If I can't stand [tolerate] certain conditions, then I should leave. Are you leaving with me? They're always joking about your taking the bus while they come to school in fancy cars.

Mona: Oh, I have no problem standing the heat. You see, I have no respect for them. So I don't care what they think.
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:12:43 AM

Neurons: 353,880
Maybe it's hot because they live in glass houses Whistle
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:41:58 AM

Neurons: 37,080

P -

Seriously? You don't think perhaps that what you're teaching isn't as much about idioms as it is a very ill-disguised attempt to get around the Forum rules?

If, indeed, your only motivation in writing the above was to introduce ESL students to English idioms, why give such an idiom right now? If, however, you honestly could not think of happy, funny, current, non-didactic idiom, they why choose to present it in such a subjective, tightly-contexted way? Why make it parallel, once again, your politics?

The idiom parallels the injunction 'to take responsibility.' because it means pretty much the same as 'put up or shut up'. In other words if you can't help in a situation you're of no use. If you can't take what you dish out then don't stay for dinner.

The kitchen analogy is one that everybody understands; and it's just enforcing the ethos that we should be prepared for the consequences of what we do; if we make a mess, we must clean it up. The 'or else get out....." (of the kitchen) implies you'd be a bit of a wimp not to stay and 'face the music'.

In Australian it's rendered: "If y'don't like it, bugger orf."
tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 11:22:33 AM

Neurons: 52,132
Lotje1000 wrote:
Maybe it's hot because they live in glass houses Whistle

Applause
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 1:33:03 PM

Neurons: 111,369
I'm agreeing with Romany only in so far that this example you provide, like so many others, needn't be so terribly "pointed". And because if it, I question your intentions. That's all I'll say about it (for now), as I have mentioned it one other time.