The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A Day Without a Woman Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:52:45 PM

Neurons: 37,870
Romany,

This is exactly what you are mentioning, I think.

This is an article from a seasoned feminist who says big gains have been made in equality for women but she is uncomfortable with what is happening on International Women's Day which she likens to Groundhog Day. And as she mentioned she doesn't want it to become a "Hallmark Day" when Putin likened it to that, or when p""""" grabber Trump said he had respect for women.

She said she can't believe that in 2017 women are still trying to get equality and reproductive rights over their own bodies!

https://www.thestar.com/life/2017/03/10/feminism-continues-to-evolve-as-it-adds-new-chapters-to-its-story.html

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Dreamy
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:54:22 PM

Neurons: 7,723
Do we still talk about manslaughter?

In our news if a woman is killed by someone but not murdered the charge is always manslaughter, never womanslaughter.

Maybe it should be personslaughter, but so far no lobby group has raised the subject.

Time to act for equality with this.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
Romany
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 6:27:34 AM

Neurons: 37,573

Woops! Never thought of that, Dreamy. You're right! So you in NZ and I in Brighton should go and picket the offices of the nearest Dictionary with our proud banners "We demand Woman-slaughter".

Our chance to change the world!!
Whistle Whistle
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 7:00:20 AM

Neurons: 230,013
Romany wrote:
Woops! Never thought of that, Dreamy. You're right! So you in NZ and I in Brighton should go and picket the offices of the nearest Dictionary with our proud banners "We demand Woman-slaughter".

Our chance to change the world!!
Whistle Whistle

Canadian Criminal Code defines homicide, murder (first degree and second degree) and manslaughter. So don't forget to invite Hope123.

Wonder if Dictionaries have any authority over legislation.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 10:34:05 PM

Here's a woman who means business. And she's in the right place to do it.

"‘Satirical’ Texas bill turns language of antiabortion laws on men"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/03/13/satirical-texas-bill-turns-language-of-antiabortion-laws-on-men/?tid=hybrid_mostsharedarticles_3_na&utm_term=.5fed65cd8a0c

" ‘Satirical’ Texas bill turns language of antiabortion laws on men"

“A lot of people find the bill funny,” Farrar told the Houston Chronicle. “What’s not funny are the obstacles that Texas women face every day, that were placed there by legislatures making it very difficult for them to access health care.”

She fears the barriers to women’s health will only grow with the new administration, which is why she filed the bill this year...

Emissions outside of a woman’s vagina, or created outside of a health or medical facility, will be charged a $100 civil penalty for each emission, and will be considered an act against an unborn child,” the four-page bill reads. Furthermore, emissions created in medical facilities “will be stored for the purposes of conception for a current or future wife
.”

There were other conditions placed as well.

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Romany
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:13:27 AM

Neurons: 37,573

Great plan, Hope! Why, America could clear its entire National Debt in about 6 months!! And teenage boys all over America would feel they really had an important part to play in American economic policy! Win-win.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 12:07:52 PM

Romany wrote:

Great plan, Hope! Why, America could clear its entire National Debt in about 6 months!! And teenage boys all over America would feel they really had an important part to play in American economic policy! Win-win.

Applause Applause Applause

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 11:47:24 AM

Neurons: 265,027
BTW, you dear girls,

today in Finland we flagged Minna Canth's Day, and the day for social equality in this country.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 12:14:49 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
BTW, you dear girls,

today in Finland we flagged Minna Canth's Day, and the day for social equality in this country.

Finland seems to be very progressive in many areas! Applause Applause Applause

tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 12:26:58 PM

Neurons: 52,220
Off-topic, but I forgot to tell you how I got on.

Hope123 wrote:
(Did you get across the border with no problem?)

Yes indeed. Thanks. I have to report that customs and immigration officers at Phoenix airport were polite, helpful and efficient. As far as I could see, people with a rather darker skin complexion than mine and/or apparently from India/Pakistan/Bangla Desh got through as quickly as I did.

The whole process actually seemed smoother than that reported by non-European friends who have visited Britain.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 12:47:51 PM

Hey, I was right.

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/its-official-finland-is-the-most-progressive-country-in-the-world-2016-6/

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:13:12 PM

tunaafi wrote:
Off-topic, but I forgot to tell you how I got on.

Hope123 wrote:
(Did you get across the border with no problem?)

Yes indeed. Thanks. I have to report that customs and immigration officers at Phoenix airport were polite, helpful and efficient. As far as I could see, people with a rather darker skin complexion than mine and/or apparently from India/Pakistan/Bangla Desh got through as quickly as I did.

The whole process actually seemed smoother than that reported by non-European friends who have visited Britain.

Off topic continued - Good! Did you do pre-clearance in your home country before leaving? That might make a difference when de-planing.

We have that in several airports. In fact, in order to expand and add two more locations for pre-clearance, the US has demanded that agents have more powers of detention and rights on CDN soil, plus they would be allowed to carry guns. Some of us are appalled now. It seemed so innocent when Obama was president. But our govt is going ahead saying we have nothing to worry about. What my MP says and what the media says are two different things on a couple of points.

Different locations seem to make a difference too.

Canada is always being blamed for allowing in terrorists, even when it is not true as in 9/11. I think there was one guy years ago and he was caught at the border. I haven't heard of any making it through.

And as Leon says, it all depends upon the discretion of the agents on duty. For instance -

We were in the airport in Cancun at the same time as President Bush Jr was leaving MX after the "Three Amigos" conference with MX and Canada. There had been helicopters, police cars, war ships, streets blocked, foot patrol of the beaches etc. the whole time. The airport was a mess with extremely long line ups. They were opening up and hand searching every piece of luggage and baby strollers etc. We had gone earlier than usual because we knew he was leaving at the same time.

We had been in Cancun for three months and had far too much luggage. The officials took one look at (? an older white Canadian couple with) all that luggage and passed us through without checking anything. Who knows why. So you never know from one crossing to the next what they are thinking.

(Edited - the "Three Amigos Conference" - how times have changed by one man!)

(Sorry, JJ. Still think you and your country are the best! For many reasons. So you did not need "A Day Without a Woman" there, I presume.)