The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Alexander Graham Bell Awarded US Patent for Telephone (1876) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 59,805
Alexander Graham Bell Awarded US Patent for Telephone (1876)

Originally an audiologist, professor, and teacher of the deaf, Bell became interested in the idea of transmitting sound waves by wire when he misread a thesis by a German physicist. He mistakenly believed that the thesis implied such a transmission was possible. It did not, but Bell's idea was sound. Later, he described his mistranslation as a "valuable blunder." Three days after receiving a patent for his device, he spoke the first sentence ever transmitted by telephone. What was it? More...
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:24:57 AM

Neurons: 57,767
Looks a bit like the Yorkshire ripper

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:25:43 AM

Neurons: 57,767
That wasn't his message by the way.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 11:36:03 AM

Neurons: 717,247
Landmark invention.
olddogg eleventy2
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 4:27:31 PM

Neurons: 146,642
just as a point of reference, the end of june of that year there occured a small squirmish in the montana/dakota terrtories called the little big horn massacre....seems kinda odd in a way.....oh well fyi...bye!
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:00:56 PM

Neurons: 3,083,714
Photo: Alexander Graham Bell demonstrates speaking into the telephone using a model prototype in 1876. (Early Office Museum)

Bell’s journal, now at the Library of Congress, contains the following entry for March 10, 1876:

I then shouted into M [the mouthpiece] the following sentence: “Mr. Watson, come here — I want to see you.” To my delight he came and declared that he had heard and understood what I said.

I asked him to repeat the words. He answered, “You said ‘Mr. Watson — come here — I want to see you.'” We then changed places and I listened at S [the speaker] while Mr. Watson read a few passages from a book into the mouthpiece M. It was certainly the case that articulate sounds proceeded from S. The effect was loud but indistinct and muffled.

Watson’s journal, however, says the famous quote was: “Mr. Watson come here I want you.”

That disagreement, though, is trifling compared to the long controversy over whether Bell truly invented the telephone. Another inventor, Elisha Gray, was working on a similar device, and recent books claim that Bell not only stole Gray’s ideas, but may even have bribed a patent examiner to let him sneak a look at Gray’s filing.

After years of litigation, Bell’s patents eventually withstood challenges from Gray and others — perhaps by right, perhaps by virtue of bigger backers and better barristers. In that respect, the controversy recalls the patent battle over the telegraph and foreshadows later squabbles over the automobile, the airplane, the spreadsheet, online shopping carts, web-auction software, and the look and feel of operating systems.

One thing we know for sure: Mr. Watson was at work that day in Bell’s lab. The telephone call did not interrupt his dinner with a special offer for home repairs or timeshare vacations in Florida.

Read more: https://www.wired.com/2011/03/0310bell-invents-telephone-mr-watson-come-here/