The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

ONLY for fair-minded members and guests Options
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 9:06:19 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 872
Neurons: 378,554
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
TheParser wrote:
Romany wrote:
Private Messages' 'tell others they are a useless piece of garbage' "

Dear Fair-Minded Readers:

I have never used private messages to tell others that they are "garbage."

That female either made up that lie or a troublemaker fed that lie to that female.


Luckily for you, TheParser, Romany never actually said that you used private messages to tell others that they are garbage. As you can tell by the quotation marks you so helpfully quoted, they're two separate phrases.

TheParser wrote:
P.S. Special thanks to the two members who called my attention to that sentence. I had not read that sentence, for it was at the end of her post. I usually stop reading her very long insult-laden posts at about the middle.


Perhaps if you read Romany's words properly, you might actually be able to form a proper retort instead of accusing her of a lie when it's your own inattentiveness that's at fault.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 9:24:48 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,896
Neurons: 146,892
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Hello Parser.

I'm afraid your informants have mis-informed you.

Romany's post does not say that you used private messages to tell others that they are garbage.

They are two separate items in a list of things which are not included in the definition of "Forum".

She didn't lie - it's the total truth.

You need to be careful who's reports you listen to!

Edited to add:
I was called away in the middle of typing this - Lotje posted her message while I was away.
Sorry.



Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 9:56:36 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,591
Neurons: 21,588
Drag0nspeaker wrote:




Romany's post does not say that you used private messages to tell others that they are garbage.

They are two separate items in a list of things which are not included in the definition of "Forum".







Thank you, DragOnspeaker.

If you are correct, then that individual did a VERY poor job in expressing herself.

I hope that you are correct in your interpretation. Experience has taught me to always expect the worst when it comes to her pronouncements.


There are some members (both veterans and relatively new ones) who are disgusted by her harassment of me, so they want to make sure that I document every outrageous incident.

She and her protégés can harass me all they want. Apparently, they have nothing else to do with their time.

Only an administrator or private tragedy can drive me away.




Have a nice day!









Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 10:31:44 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 872
Neurons: 378,554
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
TheParser wrote:
If you are correct, then that individual did a VERY poor job in expressing herself.

I hope that you are correct in your interpretation. Experience has taught me to always expect the worst when it comes to her pronouncements.


TheParser wrote:
I had not read that sentence, for it was at the end of her post. I usually stop reading her very long insult-laden posts at about the middle.


Sounds like you're letting your prejudice get in the way of interpreting something that was perfectly clear to both Drag0nspeaker and myself.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 12:24:40 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,896
Neurons: 146,892
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom

Romany wrote:
The official definition of a Forum on Oxford is: "A website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings." Note the use of the word 'reply'. Not 'abuse' 'ignore' 'refuse to take responsibility for what they say' 'denigrate' 'use Private Messages' 'tell others they are a useless piece of garbage' or 'become the spokesperson for all opposing views."

This is the definition of "Forum" from the Oxford dictionary, and a list of things not included in that definition.
It could be no simpler.

No-where in the paragraph does it mention any member of this forum, or their actions.


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 3:25:35 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,969
Neurons: 40,475
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
QUOTE PARSER. - "If you are correct, then that individual did a VERY poor job in expressing herself." END QUOTE -

It is always somebody else's fault, and that tactic sounds very familiar to me lately. In your mind, it wasn't that you didn't read it, or that somebody else misread it. It had to be Romany's fault. People can and do apologize on here, you know. Edited to add - we are all human - Tuna just apolfized to me for missing quotes, I felt rather stupid for missing Will's emoji and apologized as houmorously as I could think of. I will try harder but that is not to say I will not miss something again. We have to allow for the written word being easier to misinterpret than a face to face conversation where we would be lost without facial and body language. Come to think of it - that is exactly how we are without those two expressions to aid in interpreting the written word.

Parser, we would just like some facts for all your pronouncements. When we question you, we get no evidence, just more pronouncements about how awful we are. I see a similarity in your problem here to Trump's problem with the media. He does not want to be held accountable with facts. Nor do you. So just think of us as the media asking questions to get proof for your opinions. And it is not just about you. We all keep each other accountable for what we say and also ask for proof. We do not single you out.


You seem to see asking for facts as a personal vendetta against you, which it is not, and this theme of yours is getting very tedious again. I do not give a flying bleep how many kinds of people agree with me on this Forum for ANY topic, whether political or not.

And neither should you. It is NOT A CONTEST!

We also asked you to stop posting Politics in the incorrect forums, and except for some not so subtle examples, you have not mentioned your political views outright and have put them into the correct sub forum - for which we are grateful.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 3:29:52 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,969
Neurons: 40,475
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
AND to clear up completely the little feud right here - I do believe the "piece of garbage" comment was not even meant for you, Parser, although I am not Romany.

I hate to repost quotes containing such garbage, but actually showing the proof is probably the only way to be believed - if it is even then.

:::

The first place I have ever seen that phrase on this Forum is when Hedy used it on the following thread (see link) and Romany responded to that as well.

Before Hedy over reacted to Will's question, Dragon had already reasonably explained WTF is a form of confusion being expressed and I too had been confused by Hedy's statement. Absinthius also replied, "No Hedy, it is not a personal attack, it an exclamation of wonder at what can only be described as a rather strange train of thought."

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst161930_Do-You-Know-about-satellites--19-.aspx


QUOTE HEDY - "I knew 'what the fuck' meant, but I considered the source ...so I didn't bother responding for he's a useless piece of garbage who has no respect and who has nothing better to say. His name should be will-ful...or won't, because that better describes him.

Well, the bêtise will be happy to know I will not be participating on the forum again...my last thread was for tunaafi who sent a beautiful poem." END QUOTE

QUOTE TWO after explanations were made - "I didn't think I'd respond but I couldn't help it........Wow, clueless-will you're a bigger jerk than I thought! Talk about arrogance...you are sure full of yourself...guess that's a TFD bêtise trait....do you actually think that I was talking about you?

Don't mean to burst your bubble on the public forum...but you've mistaken me for someone who gives a sh_t what you think or say. My advise to you, is if you plan to take me on....pack a lunch

AND NOT THAT IT'S ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS...BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TFD
My heart was broken by someone I love passionately ....and only he can mend it.....he's my raaja." END HEDY'S QUOTES

QUOTE ROMANY in response to Absinthius - "
Romany wrote:

Indeed.Eh? Those were two of the dirtiest posts I've seen on here.

Not because of 'cuss words' but because of 'bad' words. I find such language as "you've mistaken me for someone who gives a sh_t" "you're a bigger jerk than I thought!" offensive on a public forum. However "he's a useless piece of garbage "directed towards another poster is completely unacceptable. That is simply not the kind of language that should be accepted.

Posting in capitals, bold, and underlined, is known as 'Flaming'. It is prohibited on this forum.

But calling another human being a 'useless piece of garbage' is just about the worst gutter-language I've heard. While I don't imagine that exact phrase is prohibited under Forum rules, direct abuse is.

Both your posts were completely out of line.

Period.









Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:12:05 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,591
Neurons: 21,588
Drag0nspeaker wrote:


I'm afraid your informants have mis-informed you.






Good morning, DragOnspeaker, from sunny Southern California:

You have unintentionally hurt my friends' feelings.

I showed that female's post to a university writing teacher: She agreed that the post was badly written.

a. Many ideas are jammed together.
b. The punctuation is atrocious.

No wonder people can have different interpretations:

Did she order me to leave the "Politics" forum or not?
Did she accuse ME of calling people "garbage" or not?

Because of (a) and (b), no wonder there is confusion.

That writing teacher thanked me for showing the post to her. She plans to make copies and give them to her students in order to show her students how NOT to write.



Have a great weekend!
Romany
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:38:39 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 12,873
Neurons: 39,253
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Oh Parsar - this gets so tedious.

No-one 'kowtows' to me. I have NO idea what would even make you say so.

Please, if you are going to pick me up on something I've said, go look it up for yourself.

And finally: disagreeing with someone's point of view is neither 'insulting' them, or 'being vindictive' or 'personally insulting'. It's why we have forums: we discus them.

You said people PM you because they "want to make sure that I document every outrageous incident." which verifies that you DO use the PM facility to advance your ideas of conspiracies, and attributing strange powers to me - so please be careful about accusing me of lying. THAT is something against which there are serious consequences.

However, there's no need to 'document every outrageous idea.' This is print culture. Every thing I have ever said to you is available TO EVERYONE. They are already documented. As are yours. There's not one single thing I have ever posted that could be viewed as slander, libel, hate-speech, or lying. If you want proof of that just go back and re-read them yoursel instead of sending out people to 'spy' because you yourself refuse to read posts that don't agree with you.

Or give them all to your 'writing teacher' to review.Dancing Dancing

ps: I hope, by now, you have your answer to whether I 'ordered' you to do anything; however, had you read my post in which I responded to your initial introduction of that meme, what I said would have been as clear to you as it was to others.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 10:33:12 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,591
Neurons: 21,588
R wrote:
Oh Parsar [Parser] - this gets so tedious.




Dear Fair-Minded Readers:

Americans often use some words from a language called Yiddish. One useful word is "chutzpah."

1. That female starts trouble, and then she says that she is tired ("tedious") of trouble! What chutzpah!

She claims to be a university lecturer. So I assume that she can understand basic English:

DO NOT HARASS ME BY POSTING NASTY COMMENTS ABOUT ME.

THEN I WILL CERTAINLY NEVER EVER REFER TO YOU IN MY POSTS. (Why in the world would I ever want to refer to her?)

*****

2. She is wrong (Yes, even she can be wrong!) about my sending personal messages. I have sent very few personal messages since I became a member.

a. Almost ALL of the friends I have mentioned are neighbors and people at my local library to whom I have introduced TFD. Occasionally (VERY occasionally) a member has sent me a private message of support in the face of vicious harassment by a few individuals.

****

3. She has often counseled her loyal followers to simply ignore me. And most of them have, for which I am VERY grateful. But she -- the commander-in-chief -- is not practicing what she preaches.

a. She should simply KEEP her promise to IGNORE me, then everything would be sweetness and light. NOTHING would please me more than to ignore her in return!


****

4. I like TFD because I am interested in helping learners with vocabulary and grammar. Occasionally, someone posts an interesting topic in the other forums, so I give my two bits.

a. When I do start a thread (in Vocabulary, Culture, Politics, etc.), I realize that most readers are guests (who are not registered to respond). If I get one or two replies from nice members, that is always delightful. But if I don't get any replies, that is also fine. What I do NOT want is replies from nasty members who harass me. Take your nasty self somewhere else!












Romany
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:37:05 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 12,873
Neurons: 39,253
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Parsar -

As I said in a previous post: the way out of this is easy.

Simply go to a couple of threads where I have harrassed you; ordered you from the Forum, engaged in 'viciousness', 'abused you', used hate-speech, or any of the things that are causing you so much unhappiness. Note which ones they are; the ones which you feel result with you being the most abused and 'picked on' person on the Forum... and go to the Admins.

There is absolutely no need to put up with any poster who is trying to force you to do things, or is choosing to tell lies, or is slandering or libelling you. That's what Forum rules are for. Bring these breaches of both Forum rules and common courtesy to Admin's notice on the threads on which they appear and leave it in their capable hands. As I said before: this is a print culture so every exchange one has ever had is still sitting right where we left it.

And if this is a Forum on which certain people are favoured over others, or have special powers, or have a cult following, or carry clout no-one else does then protest that, too.That's iniquitous - and undemocratic as well. Though we ourselves might be accused of bias, or shady cover-ups, the Admin won't. They will put a stop to it straight away.

The Administrators are the people you should take your complaints to: you can be sure that they will be fair and impartial. And will put an end to all the misery you feel you are being singled out for.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:12:24 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,969
Neurons: 40,475
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
QUOTE PARSER - "She has often counseled her loyal followers to simply ignore me."

This is pure BS Parser. Romany and I happen to agree on a lot of things and I consider her to be a cyber friend. But if I disagree with her, I say so.

I am an adult who can think for myself. I do not need to be told what to think by anybody.

It irks me to no end that you call me her "loyal follower" or that you think she "counsels" people about you.

What chutzpah. Not everything is about you!

This whole thing reminds me of school kids. Or American politics.

Edited - I see you are still talking about "garbage" so therefore did not even read my last post. Wonder if you will read this.


One last time - There is NO CONTEST for leader of the Forum.

Please take your complaints to the administration - or I shall be tempted to do so for you.



Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 7:19:42 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,420
Neurons: 53,312
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
TheParser wrote:
1. That female starts trouble

Where is your evidence for that claim?

Quote:
DO NOT HARASS ME BY POSTING NASTY COMMENTS ABOUT ME.


Where is your evidence for claims of anybody harrassing you?


Quote:
She has often counseled her loyal followers to simply ignore me.


Loyal followers? Who are these mindless people? Am I supposed to be a 'loyal follower' simply because I often (but far from always) hold similar political opinions to hers?


Quote:
She should simply KEEP her promise to IGNORE me

It's hard for anyone to ignore you when you so often make untrue or distorted claims about other members. I am still waiting for your evidence that I once (or so you claimed) posted something pornographic about you.

Quote:
What I do NOT want is replies from nasty members who harass me.

Disagreeing with you is NOT harrassing you, as has been pointed out several times.

Quote:
Take your nasty self somewhere else!

That wouldn't be an order to someone to leave the forum, would it?




Lotje1000
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:11:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 872
Neurons: 378,554
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
TheParser wrote:

DO NOT HARASS ME BY POSTING NASTY COMMENTS ABOUT ME.

THEN I WILL CERTAINLY NEVER EVER REFER TO YOU IN MY POSTS. (Why in the world would I ever want to refer to her?)


It's quite amazing, TheParser, how you claim to never do something and then manage to do that exact thing in the same exact post.

In case you're confused about how talking works: just because you don't mention her name, you're still referring to Romany when you write "her". To properly not refer to anyone, you must... not talk about them. At all. It's a confusion you've seem to have had for a while and might be tied to your misinterpretation of what it means to "ignore" someone.

TheParser wrote:
3. She has often counseled her loyal followers to simply ignore me. And most of them have, for which I am VERY grateful. But she -- the commander-in-chief -- is not practicing what she preaches.

a. She should simply KEEP her promise to IGNORE me, then everything would be sweetness and light. NOTHING would please me more than to ignore her in return!

I think you are once again misinterpreting posts, TheParser. Possibly because you don't actually read them, as you so often claim. Romany hasn't recently counseled anyone to ignore you. The only counseling of the sort I've seen recently was of hedy counseling you and vice versa. It seems it's not Romany who's not keeping her promise...

TheParser wrote:
What I do NOT want is replies from nasty members who harass me. Take your nasty self somewhere else!

My, TheParser, you mean showing up in threads and disagreeing with you is harassing you? Isn't that exactly what you've been doing for as long as I've been on this forum? I seem to remember you popping into any thread Tunaafi started to make "nasty comments" and then even start a whole new thread to complain about him.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:31:01 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 12,873
Neurons: 39,253
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Ah Hope and Tuna - I'm devastated.Boo hoo!

You don't want to be my own personal 'followers'?Not talking

You reject my wise 'counsel' at the monthly secret-cyber meetings we have when we get together with Admin in order to control the TFD?Shame on you

And what about the Oath of Loyalty you swore to me at midnight in the graveyard, when you kissed every one of my 11 rings and promised me your souls? I suppose that's off now, too?Sick

Unfortunately, what with our Organisation being so secret an' all, am unsure of the actual identity of the rest of my minions - but I hope your public denouncement doesn't lead to them all following your lead!Pray


And yeah, just in case it's necessary, here's a Whistle .

You gotta larf or else you'd weep, hey?Dancing

TheParser
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 8:07:41 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,591
Neurons: 21,588
Dear Fair-Minded Readers:

IF you are interested in this matter, you have just read comments from R, H, T, and L.

1. Here is what R once wrote:

"I'm saying to ignore him. ... just carry on as though he hasn't spoken."

I am computer illiterate, so I cannot link.

Go to the "Site Features" forum and on the second page of thread titles, click on "An Open Letter" dated July 18, 2016.

If you read the posts in that thread, you will better understand how the clique has ganged up on me.



*****

1. For MY PART, this open disharmony will come to an end today.

2. Today, I am forced to start a new blacklist.

a. A blacklist is a list of people.

b. I stopped my first blacklist in July, 2016.

c. I am now forced to start a new one.

d. Whenever I see the usernames of R, H, T, or L, I will exercise my right to skip (go past it) to the next post. If I do not read it, I will not need to reply to it.


e. By the way, bullying here is not a new problem. In the "Site Features" forum there is a thread (on the first page of the thread titles) entitled "Threadjacking and Antagonism." Some members and administrators discussed the problem of bullying and what to do about it. There was general agreement: If someone treats you with disrespect, you have two choices: (a) Skip his/her post, or (b) do not reply.



Have a nice day!
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:53:32 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/7/2015
Posts: 376
Neurons: 733,142
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
TheParser wrote:
I am computer illiterate, so I cannot link.


If you reply to a person's quote, instead of a quick link, then you may notice a globe icon with a link below it. If you hover over it, it says "create link." If you click on that, you can add a link. It will ask for the URL, which you can cut and paste from the address bar, or you can type in any old link and edit it later.

This is a link to google.

(url=http://google.com)This is how a link looks in the editor, except with brackets instead of parentheses. You can also edit it in the text editor, or even type it in, but that's a pain, hence the shortcuts(/url).

In fact you can hover over any of the buttons above on this--or other--forums, and it's almost expected that you'll see what they're for, and it's kind of fun to learn, too.

One thing about computers that's evolved is that GUI (graphical user interface) shouldn't just be slick. It should have help relatively built-in so people can learn it. I know I was surprised to see how conventions evolved at first, and they have, and I think we've come to the place where we can expect that without feeling pushy doing so. Advances in computer science aresn't just about being quicker or more powerful. They're about accessibility as well, without having to learn anything too arcane.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:57:08 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 3,937
Neurons: 57,384
Leaping freaky leptons, and bizarre boogieing bosons!

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 12:15:17 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 39,136
Neurons: 284,583
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Sissus ja saukon sukuelimet!


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 12:22:10 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,969
Neurons: 40,475
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Watch as well as listen to Lennon's "Imagine" sung by Pentatonix. I put this in the Politics sub forum for a reason. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/NLiWFUDJ95I


Pentatonix is back with more music, and it's seriously giving us chills. In promotion of their upcoming EP, PTX VOL. IV - Classics, the a cappella group covered "Imagine" by John Lennon. Not only are their voices completely in sync, per usual, but the end of the video has an incredibly moving message.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 10:49:37 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,420
Neurons: 53,312
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
TheParser wrote:
. If I do not read it, I will not need to reply to it.


That's an excuse you have used for years to justify not responding.
Every time anybody refutes one of your claims or asks for evidence to justify them, you simply ignore them and carry on regardless.
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 3:35:27 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 872
Neurons: 378,554
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
tunaafi wrote:
TheParser wrote:
. If I do not read it, I will not need to reply to it.


That's an excuse you have used for years to justify not responding.
Every time anybody refutes one of your claims or asks for evidence to justify them, you simply ignore them and carry on regardless.


To be fair, this is nothing new. TheParser never actually responds to our posts. At best he makes a post that vaguely refers to someone but it never answers any of our questions. It does, however, maintain the illusion that he's up for conversation. Hope's pointed it out before based on what TheParser said somewhere: he's only here to vent, not to debate.

Also, that blacklist idea is the essence of an echo chamber.

I can only hope TheParser sticks to his word and ignores everyone properly this time, without vague and passive aggressive references to people he despises.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 7:29:42 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,591
Neurons: 21,588
Andrew Schultz wrote:


If you reply to a person's quote, instead of a quick link, then you may notice a globe icon with a link below it. If you hover over it, it says "create link." If you click on that, you can add a link. It will ask for the URL, which you can cut and paste from the address bar, ...



Good morning, Mr. Schultz:

You are very kind and much too optimistic.

This is one old dog that canNOT be taught new tricks, unless a tutor were sitting next to me and showing me exactly what to do.

Even the phrases "URL" and "cut and paste" terrify me.

I am still using a dial-up service.

I have only a simple "dumbphone" to use when I want to call home from the doctor's [office].

And I still have land phones at home. (You know, the kind that is connected to wires!)

I do, however, thank you very much for your concern.



Have a nice day!
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:28:29 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,969
Neurons: 40,475
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
The reason we have ten minutes after posting to delete and three hours to edit, is that when posts are deleted or edited, it removes the continuity of topic.

If someone responds to a post that has been changed or deleted the response may make no sense. This holds true if someone decides to not read the posts of others because he wants to ignore them - which is his prerogative. I have done the same at some points on this Forum. (not right now but remember Dusty's rambling?)

I just didn't feel the need to keep announcing it.

It seems wrong and rude to me to not be addressing Parser and it feels as if I am talking about him behind his back. But if he is not reading my posts, there is no sense addressing him. It is a shame that the Forum has come to this.

:::

The goal Parser has posted is that he wants to be able to not only ignore those who disagree with him and push him for answers, but that WE SHOULD IGNORE HIS POSTS.

Therefore he gets to say what he wants unchallenged.

So I am going to refute with proof what he says politely but not expect him to post any answers. It should cause no problem because he is not reading my posts.

I will assume therefore that without proof his are just opinions and should always be regarded as such by all, unless proof is provided.


However, as Lotje says, he should also stop responding to us and accusing us "with vague and passive aggressive references to those he despises."
That would be how a "fair-minded" person would behave.




Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 6:21:39 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,108
Neurons: 25,716
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
In other news, a major storm with blizzard conditions is developing over eastern North America.

I reckon there'll be no lack of snowflakes this season.

Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:30:29 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 872
Neurons: 378,554
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
leonAzul wrote:
I reckon there'll be no lack of snowflakes this season.

Whistle


Yeah, but are they special snowflakes?
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:01:33 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,108
Neurons: 25,716
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
Lotje1000 wrote:
leonAzul wrote:
I reckon there'll be no lack of snowflakes this season.

Whistle


Yeah, but are they special snowflakes?


Now whatever do you mean? Of course, every snowflake is special, just like you and me!

Angel

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:20:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,969
Neurons: 40,475
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Snow days! Finally! Applause

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 8:35:56 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,591
Neurons: 21,588
Dear FAIR-MINDED Readers:

I know that some of you worry about President Trump's policies (and words).

I know some of you hope that the Democrats can take back the Congress in 2018 and the White House in 2020.

Well, I have just read an intelligent article by David Bromwich.

He is a professor at Yale, a famous American university.

He is a fair-minded liberal.

Like you, he is disgusted by the anti-Trump bias of the American media.

Like you, he is disgusted by the vulgar attacks on President Trump by so-called "celebrities."


He has some suggestions for Democrats:

1. He believes that Democrats (and their supporters) should "give up any hope of sound advice or renewal from Bill or Hillary Clinton or Barak Obama. They were pleasant to think about, but their policies have turned out wrong, and there's nothing they can do for us now."

2. He ends with this thoughtful paragraph: "Trump is the name of a cause and not just a person, and you can only fight him with another cause. The name of it might be climate change."


*****

You can read his article "The Age of Detesting Trump" in the July 13, 2017, issue of the very liberal British publication London Review of Books.


In the same issue, there's an article that describes the shock of many people at the success of the Labour party in recent British elections. The author says that the Labour party won the votes of many younger people because the party had a cause, i.e., maybe some of the economic and social policies of the past were not so bad as many "experts" say.
almo 1
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 9:17:43 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 889
Neurons: 3,972
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan

Hello TheParser, I put the link.



The Age of Detesting Trump



Link: www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n14/david-bromwich/







Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:49:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/7/2015
Posts: 376
Neurons: 733,142
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
TheParser, I don't know how else to say this. I think you've completely misread and misinterpreted the article. It's common for the mainstream left and media to take criticism from the hard left, and I think that sort of dialogue can be constructive. In this case, David Bromwich is DEFINITELY saying the Democrats did not swing left enough.

Quote:
That there are links between Trump and his real-estate friends and the Russian oligarchs is extremely likely: oligarchs of all nations, but Russia in particular, are the movers in that market, and Trump’s credit on Wall Street ran out long ago. Russian money is probably behind some of his precarious loans; and the Russian government keeps track of Russian money. But the US media, and a great many Democrats with them, have been running far ahead of the game and treating the connection as a certainty which ought to assure the collapse of the Trump administration in the near future.


So, yes: perhaps the media is leading the public too much. They don't want to report breathlessly on Russia at the expense of everything else. But they haven't. And they've gotten a heck of a lot better, identifying who is just a conspiracy theorist (e.g. Louise Mensch) and who is worth listening to.

Mainstream reporting has chronicled how the Democrats' resistance has protected the Affordable Care Act. I've seen great reporting on why it's sunk, and why and how Trump has failed to protect political alliances domestically. So this article has already aged poorly. Republicans got on board to defeat the Senate bill, and it didn't come up for a vote, because a lot less than 48 Republicans *wanted* to vote for it. Moran and Lee provided cover.

So for that alone, I don't see the media exclusively concerned with Russia. It's just that the White House's actions on Russia are hard to ignore (heck, even some Fox News* anchors are saying something's there,) and when immediate bombshells drop, well, that is news, and the media needs to report it.

Russia is the big story right now because it is the most shocking, and the most details are coming out. But...the ACA was defeated by people calling and saying, don't lose our healthcare. Especially people in red states.

As for the best way to resist long-term? That's up for grabs. But people are doing so, and it goes beyond demonstrations and marches. They're calling their representatives and running for office at the local level.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
will
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 11:00:52 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,036
Neurons: 4,152
TheParser, what is Bromwich's position on effectively torpedoing your own comments by presenting them in such passive aggressive language that no one can take you seriously? Think



.
progpen
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 6:44:47 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,487
Neurons: 191,278
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
TheParser wrote:
DO NOT HARASS ME BY POSTING NASTY COMMENTS ABOUT ME.

THEN I WILL CERTAINLY NEVER EVER REFER TO YOU IN MY POSTS. (Why in the world would I ever want to refer to her?)


Translation:

I HAVE PAPER THIN SKIN AND FEEL SUCH AN INTENSE SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT THAT I SHOULD TO BE ABLE TO INSULT OTHERS WITH IMPUNITY.

NOW THAT I'VE FOUND THAT EVERYONE DOES NOT ALLOW ME THAT IMPUNITY, I'LL TAKE MY BALL AND GO HOME.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 7:59:29 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,969
Neurons: 40,475
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the link, Almo. As I was skimming through the article, something I read reminded me of two things I have wondered before.

If a leader promotes an example of maliciousness through insulting tweets and statements about many people and also attacks the media where they live, why can't the media respond in kind? If someone says something insulting to another poster, why must the person being insulted restrain him or herself and not respond in kind on TFD? By insulting, I mean a personal attack - not when someone continues to refute opinions with good arguments. That is not trying to stop others from saying their piece.

Why must the bullied always be the ones who "Go High" as Michelle Obama said?

I guess this is a rhetorical question because I know why - so the world and forum keep some level of civility and thus can continue existing by ignoring the insults or by responding nicely.

But it does not seem fair that the US media is criticized for reporting all Trump's faults and yet he is free to call everybody anything and everything he wishes, threatening people's livelihoods with his innuendos to control them, even those Senators in his own party, the Judiciary, and so forth.

I just saw that Trump is musing about how far he can go to stop Mueller and whether or not he can pardon himself and his family. Wow! Talk about a constitutional crisis!

He just keeps on digging the hole of "what on earth does this man have to hide"?

It seems that people should not be surprised about a rising level of viciousness in the populace of the world or even just criticism that might otherwise have been glossed over by the media, when they have such an example in their faces no matter where they turn these days.

Another question - I saw a saying that staying angry at someone is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die, meaning it is harmful to one's own well being to carry a grudge. Is this really true?



Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 7:54:16 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,591
Neurons: 21,588


Thank you, Almo, very much for the link.

Since linking is beyond the ability of your humble servant, I depend on kind people like you for help.

It was such a pleasure (and surprise) reading a reasonable article by a fair-minded liberal, so I wanted to share it with any fair-minded members/guests.

Thanks to you, they can now read the entire article for themselves.

(Although the LRB is proudly liberal, most of the writers are very civil. It is the only liberal publication that I read. It is truly a feast of ideas.)

Thanks again.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.