The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Queue's vocabulary Options
You know who I am
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:00:25 PM

Neurons: 4,156
Hey, guys!

Suppose I'm in a queue (In this how you say? In a queue?), I don't know, a queue in a supermarket, and there is a guy stopped in front of me who didn't realize that they should walk forward, how would I warn him about it? - Hey, guy, you should walk forward?

I must addmit that these daily vocabularies are very hard for someone who isn't a native.
In my language, we would say: Hey cara, a fila andou, which means: Hey dude, the queue has walked in English. That doesn't make sense to you, haha.

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:59:56 PM

Neurons: 699
Here in the US we would more likely say "line" rather than "queue". In the situation you describe, a person might say, "Hey dude, the line has moved," or "the line is moving."
"Dude", as you may know, is a very informal term. I'd probably say, "Excuse me, the line is moving in front of you." It is probably better grammar to say, "the line in front of you is moving," but I'd probably order it the first way, perhaps:
"Excuse me, the line is moving," (pause - person is still looking down at something), "in front of you?!"
"Huh?"
"In front of you? The line? It's moving."
"Oh yeah, sorry."
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:37:51 PM

Neurons: 1,615

Peter Fonda's definition of 'Dude' in 1968

Dude

Romany
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 7:49:25 AM

Neurons: 35,567

Being from the most queuing country in the world, we usually have no need to say anything at all. If one taps the person on the shoulder and just nods one's head in the direction the queue is going, people automatically move up.

Actually, in countries where I don't even speak the language, I find that this still works. Both ways.(People doing it to me/me doing it to someone).
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:54:58 AM

Neurons: 61,327
Romany's reply is most appropriate. It happens in India also where there is queue system.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
You know who I am
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2017 9:39:32 PM

Neurons: 4,156
Eoin Riedy wrote:
Here in the US we would more likely say "line" rather than "queue". In the situation you describe, a person might say, "Hey dude, the line has moved," or "the line is moving."
"Dude", as you may know, is a very informal term. I'd probably say, "Excuse me, the line is moving in front of you." It is probably better grammar to say, "the line in front of you is moving," but I'd probably order it the first way, perhaps:
"Excuse me, the line is moving," (pause - person is still looking down at something), "in front of you?!"
"Huh?"
"In front of you? The line? It's moving."
"Oh yeah, sorry."

Thank you. It works almost the same way over here.
By the way, still laughing at: "In front of you? The line? It's moving." Since I'm a very clumsy person, I completely pictured this in my mind: looking down while everyone is trying to move. Whistle

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 10:34:05 AM

Neurons: 236,541
Here's an old thread about queues, rows, lines, and such ;-)

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst4928_Three-in-a-row.aspx

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 3:12:14 PM

Thanx for that, JJ. Good to walk down Memory Lane once in a while - back to the days when TFD was a fun place for like-minded people to just...well...play! And YOU were always the biggest play-mate of all!!!
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 1:38:16 PM

Neurons: 63,662
I would like to caution against addressing a person you don't know as either "dude" or "hey, guy", as it is rather terse, if not rude. Many people will react negatively to being called "dude". And many women have the same reaction to being addressed as "guy".

All you need to say is "Excuse me, the line is moving."

tunaafi
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 2:07:53 PM

Neurons: 50,879
Romany wrote:
we usually have no need to say anything at all. If one taps the person on the shoulder and just nods one's head in the direction the queue is going, people automatically move up.

I am from the same country, but I would be very unhappy if somebody tapped me on the shoulder.

I am of the generation that would make noises of moving, hoping that it would attract the attention of the other person so that I could nod my head in the direction the queue was going. If that failed, I might go so far as to say "Are you in the queue or just waiting?" That usually works.

Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 2:38:12 PM

Neurons: 130,657
tunaafi wrote:
I might go so far as to say "Are you in the queue or just waiting?"

That's a very useful little question at times.

In my bank, there are four 'normal' tellers - the ones who do simple deposits and withdrawals - and three 'special assistants' - the ones you can see about getting a loan or mortgage, or for opening a new account and so on.

There's a single queue for the tellers, which works well, but people waiting for an appointment with an assistant tend to stand around, near or even among the queue.
Sometimes, one can stand behind someone and suddenly realise that they are just waiting for an appointment.

Most annoying!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:17:32 AM

Neurons: 62,939
A simple "the line is moving" or "the queue is moving" will work and is correct. One can also say, "Please move". This suffices the purpose. Physical gestures (like Romany said) is sufficient, too.

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Here's an old thread about queues, rows, lines, and such ;-)

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst4928_Three-in-a-row.aspx

Old times. Old memories. Good to travel down the lane. Thanks JJ. You are a miner.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 6:07:26 AM

Neurons: 105,779
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
tunaafi wrote:
I might go so far as to say "Are you in the queue or just waiting?"

That's a very useful little question at times.

I only know one phrase to use in a line:

Quote:
Excuse me gentlemen! I believe I was here first.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:04:49 AM

Oh? Is it only men who queue in Russia, then?
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 8:44:00 AM

Neurons: 105,779
Romany wrote:
Oh? Is it only men who queue in Russia, then?

I knew I would be accused of misogyny. :) Certainly not. That's just a quote from the film "How to Steal a Million".