The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Congratulations, President Trump Options
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 7:28:43 AM

Neurons: 20,138
Dear President Trump:

I have just turned on the TV, and your speech to Congress is receiving glowing reviews -- even from some fair-minded "liberal" commentators.

Many people are saying that you (and your speechwriters) did a fantastic job last night.

Here are what some "talking heads" are saying:

1. You showed that you truly want to unify the country.

2. You want to keep your promise to help those Americans who have been victims of violent crime committed by people who are here illegally.

3. You want to combat terrorism.

4. You want to fix the nation's infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.).

5. You want to improve the healthcare system.

6. You want to ensure equality for all Americans.

7. You want to build a better wall at the southern boundary.

8. You want to work harmoniously with the Democrats on issues of mutual concern.

All fair-minded observers say that you did, indeed, appear "presidential" last night.

You did us all proud, sir.

tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 7:59:53 AM

Neurons: 52,132
TheParser wrote:
All fair-minded observers say that you did, indeed, appear "presidential" last night.

That does rather seem to imply that anybody who does not agree is not fair-minded. Hmmmm.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:19:11 AM

Neurons: 161,012
For all those fair minded individuals out there, you have resources available to fact check the speech.
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/02/28/president-trump-address-to-joint-session-congress
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/01/donald-trump-congress-address-fact-check

Just a few samples from this article:

“Ninety-four million Americans are out of the labor force.”
This is a grossly exaggerated claim that seems to rely on the roughly 94 million civilians who are 16 or older and not in the labor force: a figure that includes retired people, high school and college students, people with a disability, etc. The unemployment rate in January was 4.8%, or about 7.5 million people who are looking for work but can’t find it.

“We will create massive tax relief for the middle class.”
Trump’s tax plan cuts taxes for all Americans but, by a wide margin, disproportionately helps the wealthiest Americans. According to a conservative thinktank, the Tax Foundation, his plan would save wealthy Americans millions of dollars and add $5.3tn to the national debt. Half of Trump’s tax cuts would go to the top 1% of earners, the thinktank estimates, and most families below the top 20% of earners would have income gains of less than 1%.

“Right now, American companies are taxed at one of the highest rates anywhere in the world.”
The US is not even in the top 30 highest-taxed nations in the world, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. The OECD’s most recent data ranks the US 31st of 34 industrialized nations for tax revenue as a percentage of GDP – far behind Denmark, Britain, Germany and Luxembourg. The US ranks 17th for corporate tax revenue, and 19th for tax revenue per capita.

“Where proper vetting cannot occur … we cannot allow a beachhead of terrorism to establish itself in America.”
Trump’s suggestion that the US’s vetting methods cannot account for the systems of countries abroad has flipped the procedure of vetting on its head. The system, among the most intensive screening process in the world for refugees, relies on US agencies to vet applicants, and not those of countries abroad. Refugees must pass multiple background checks and interviews with several agencies, as well as medical checks, fingerprint and photo screenings. The process takes 18-24 months.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:21:41 AM

The current president did not spit, sputter, threaten and verbally attack anyone for the duration of the speech, for which the country will be eternally grateful.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:30:55 AM

And for all you intelligent, fair minded, advanced learning, adult, mature, logical (and good looking. Don't forget good looking) readers who need to see multiple sides in order to get the full picture, we have the opposing party response.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/03/01/npr-democratic-response-trump-address-congress-annotated
Following President Trump's address to a joint session of Congress Tuesday night, the Democratic Party gave its response. Party leaders chose former Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear to do the honors this year.

Beshear, who left office in 2015, has a record of expanding access to affordable health care, lowering his state's uninsured rate from more than 20 percent to 7.5 percent.

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:48:38 AM

Neurons: 576,637
I liked Senator Bernie Sanders's response. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eK-5ivYb3o

The thing is that often when dealing with people we don't trust, politics or no, we do have to look at what they didn't say. And I think Sanders does that well.

I think Trump set the bar low with his rhetoric the first 5 weeks and we shouldn't just be grateful he avoided the gutter. Especially since if he had gone into the gutter, it would've been a bad move. Again, we shouldn't be grateful to them when people we dislike avoid outright nastiness because it's not practical.

This is classic reject and retreat, as I see it. So Trump was less unreasonable than usual. But I think he was equally manipulative. He spent earlier in the day talking about how Obama was behind the resistance and the generals were at fault for the Yemen raid--the one where Ryan Owens died, and he got the 2 minute ovation.

This reminds me of Bush's "Mission Accomplished" speech.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 9:19:35 AM

Andrew Schultz wrote:
I think Trump set the bar low with his rhetoric the first 5 weeks and we shouldn't just be grateful he avoided the gutter. Especially since if he had gone into the gutter, it would've been a bad move. Again, we shouldn't be grateful to them when people we dislike avoid outright nastiness because it's not practical.

I agree and my "eternally grateful" statement was thoroughly sarcastic. I do wish we had sarcasm tags here ;-)

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:09:53 AM

Neurons: 576,637
progpen wrote:
I agree and my "eternally grateful" statement was thoroughly sarcastic. I do wish we had sarcasm tags here ;-)

Based on your past posts and the hyperbole there I figured you were being sarcastic so no worries here! Whether or not I think a post is being sarcastic, though, I try to write something which will add to the discussion either way.

I know one convention on the SBNation (sports blog) boards is fixed width font, where you encompass text in @'s, e.g.

@We won big today, but we got outscored in garbage time. Fire the coach!@

I've also seen /snark.

Many people have mentioned they wanted a sarcasm font. Anything less obtrusive than ALL CAPS or ten exclamation marks in a row.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:39:57 AM

Neurons: 36,961
I hope everyone noticed how the Democrats did not do anything disrespectful in Congress as was suggested they might do in another thread. I was sorry that thought had even been put into my head.

I guess I am fair-minded because I agree with the statement "you did indeed appear presidential with the operative word being 'appear'. In public. I say that because when he has continuously been divisive till now, I find it absolutely unbelievable when he spouts the speech writers' words asking for unity.

This is T doing what he does best - negotiating. He knows he needs Congress to get anything done. Ask for billions to get millions. Always be combative so that when you aren't, your base will be proud.

But it was the same polarizing agenda, just wrapped in ribbon a bit with a change of tone. One pundit said if people had not been waiting for the other shoe to drop, it would have been boring.

But he did try. I give him that.

However, he still blames everyone else for negatives, and "blames" himself for positives. He blamed Obama and the generals for Yemen when he made the decisions. The buck stops with you, Mr. Trump. But he took credit for jobs that were already planned to be in the US.

The losses at Yemen were just collateral damage according his POV as long as they got valuable information. Plus most people would not call a mission successful when a Navy Seal was lost, civilians including children were killed, expensive equipment was lost, and the reports of the value gained are contradictory. Why not just say it was unfortunate that it didn't go as planned? When they knew it was compromised, I wonder who decided to go on. We'll never know if T was contacted from the field.

I wanted to see for myself without having to watch the whole thing so I did record and flip through a few minutes of the speech but then read the whole transcript afterwards. I did not learn anything new re policies. But I did learn two things.

One - Republicans liked and clapped a lot of what he said. Pipelines, walls, and coal miners. But will they still fight him on specifics? Can't count on that theory.

Two - He has backtracked a bit on immigration, spinning it to seem fine as long as the immigrants have to be financially sponsored - as Canada does. But I recall having to give proof of financial independence when applying. So what was that comment all about?

I did read his comment made earlier to the effect that who knew healthcare was so complicated! So maybe reality hit there a bit.

Here is the speech annotated by a public broadcasting radio station WBUR.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/02/28/trump-congress-watch-transcript

While checking to see about their bias, I found this info about WBUR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBUR-FM

I was disappointed there really was nothing new and there were not more specifics - what are the tax cuts, are they going to replace Obamacare, and if so, with what. No mention of Russia. How are they going to pay for all this spending?

Kudos to him if he really does want to do all the things listed in the OP. But only if he gets it done. And done without harming innocents

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:43:32 AM

"Trump has cited the danger of attacks by people traveling from the countries affected by his travel restrictions, all the lethal attacks by radicalized Muslims in the U.S. since 2001 have been carried out by U.S. citizens or people who were in the country lawfully."

"And by doing this he is ignoring (even promoting?) the radicalization" of US residents and citizens. Brackets mine.

From above link of annotation of speech.

mirilli
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:57:03 AM

Neurons: 823,493
progpen wrote:
The current president did not spit, sputter, threaten and verbally attack anyone for the duration of the speech, for which the country will be eternally grateful.

The whole world will be eternally grateful for which!Whistle
will
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 12:29:03 PM

Neurons: 4,081
TheParser wrote:
Dear President Trump:

I’m fairly certain Mr Trump doesn’t visit TFD forums. Have you tried Twitter? Think

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 1:20:53 PM

Neurons: 2,646

I wonder if Mr. Obama still have @Twitter account.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 1:24:42 PM

Hope123 wrote:
I hope everyone noticed how the Democrats did not do anything disrespectful in Congress as was suggested they might do in another thread. I was sorry that thought had even been put into my head.

What? No one yelled "you lie" at the Liar in Chief?

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 1:29:43 PM

Grammatical error:

I wonder if Mr. Obama still has @Twitter account.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 1:59:24 PM

Hope123 wrote:
And by doing this he is ignoring (even promoting?) the radicalization" of US residents and citizens.

The current administration has already become an incubator for domestic terrorists, the vast majority of which are white male. This is by design (and this is not hyperbole) because in order to have a citizenry that is easily malleable they must be afraid. The easiest way to make people afraid is by arming white male extremists and telling them they are now the law of the land. The current administration has already presided over a dramatic increase in right wing extremist hate groups and there have been no hints from the current administration that they even care to acknowledge this.

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 2:20:42 PM

Go Trump!

A lot of people support you.

Then someone will say, "Do you have evidence?" like a scientist.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:02:56 PM

ISIS has been trying for years to get recruits to see that the US is at war with Islam.

And last night Trump very slowly said, "Radical Islamic terrorism" while his advisors crowed.

Time will tell if using those words makes it better or worse. But at least he "showed Obama"! (Sarcasm ) Obama tried to make it understood it was terrorists who were using Islam and not the ordinary Muslim.

Applying the same logic, terrorists who actually did bombing in the US and elsewhere and who are white would be "radical Christian terrorists". But no. They are considered to be mentally unstable.

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:04:03 PM

Neurons: 36,969

Andrew -

I agree with you - I think each issue that Sanders brought up covered all the things people are talking about everywhere. I thought it was the dukz nutz, actually.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:24:31 PM

Romany wrote:

Andrew -

I agree with you - I think each issue that Sanders brought up covered all the things people are talking about everywhere. I thought it was the dukz nutz, actually.

I watched Sanders live on FB right after the speech. He makes his excellent points without being contentious.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:36:20 PM

By now the ISIS problem was to have been solved. Sarcasm

To defeat ISIS in 30 days. - I thought Trump had a secret plan, or when pinned down said his generals had to give him a secret plan within 30 days and he'd see which was better.Boo hoo!

Not even a peep about it. It is now 39 days since inauguration.

But Obama's plan seemed to be gaining ground a few days ago.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-mosul-idUSKBN15Y06O

He also tweeted many times criticizing Obama for golfing, saying he would not do that. Three trips to Mar a Lago and counting.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:45:34 PM

NKM
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:50:39 PM

Neurons: 149,973
Trump did indeed give the appearance of being "Presidential" — that is, he actually delivered a speech without resorting to his usual ill-mannered and childish threats and insults.

But too much of his self-promotion fails to correspond closely to reality (i.e., independent fact-checking), and the less controversial points about what he wants to do leave open to question any suggestion of how they can be accomplished.

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:54:56 PM

I support Trump

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 4:28:44 PM

Hope123 wrote:
ISIS has been trying for years to get recruits to see that the US is at war with Islam.

And now they have the best recruiter they could have ever dreamed of.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 4:31:57 PM

Neurons: 108,116
Unbelievably classless comments in this thread. Shameful.
OnTheVerge
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 6:07:58 PM

Neurons: 337,070
almo 1 wrote:

I support Trump

Hey almo 1...Believe me my friend T will be screwing Japan over in short order if he isn't given Kamikaze loyalty....BELIEVE IT, Because there will come a time when one of YOUR politicians will do and/or say something he does not like, or commits against the US an act of malfeasance that his boss Bannon will take offence at, rest assured! Boo hoo!

When that happens let us know if you're still so gung ho on T45 and his cabinet of corruption Brick wall

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power!
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:24:35 PM

almo 1 wrote:

Go Trump!

A lot of people support you.

Then someone will say, "Do you have evidence?" like a scientist.

If the proof you asking for is whether or not this administration is being used as a recruitment tool for al Qaeda, Bannon's name is on their propaganda paper.

https://thinkprogress.org/al-qaeda-propaganda-is-using-steve-bannons-islamophobia-against-the-u-s-5a7a9cffc8d9#.yzu0hyoo3

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 9:25:08 PM

Democrats say that more than a speech is needed. Mr. Schumer says the "working together" bit is all talk and no action. No reality in the speech. They are the experts as to whether or not he is trying to work with them.

So does Bernie on several issues as noted before on the thread. This is just one example of Bernie Sanders' tweets.

"Bernie Sanders @SenSanders
When Trump said we need to promote clean air and clean water, I had a hard time not laughing. Today he rolled back clean water rules"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39130236

"But Mr Schumer listed a number of issues where the president was unwilling, in his view, to compromise or hear their side.
On the Affordable Care Act, for instance, he said his party was willing to work on making the law better, but Mr Trump would consider only repeal.
And Mr Schumer said the Democrats had sent the president a plan on improving the country's infrastructure but had not heard back.

"The speech and reality have never been more detached in a presidential speech," he said.
The Democratic leader in the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, said "all they have is rhetoric - we don't have any reality in terms of any legislation".

Zurcher: Trump exceeds a low bar" End quote

Surprise, surprise - People who have money and can afford to gamble on the markets are ecstatic - Dow Jones breaks through 21,000 mark.

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 10:31:11 PM

Something hysterical is going on here(this thread).

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 11:23:13 AM

So dress it up to look nice, but give the same broad generalities of policies. And since that makes it "look better" than being combative, the speech is praised by the media. Scary! It reminds me a bit of the movie "Ordinary People" with Mary Tyler Moore. Appearance was everything, not substance. Edited to add - appearance and poitical correctness. And apparently it was Ivanka who got him to tone it down.

Even go further with a new office created to create fear and thus approval of your policies. -

I missed the following in the speech. I did not see the signifcance of it till now. This is a copy of my post from another thread.

The VOICE was introduced by Prez Trump in his speech to Congress.

It is an an acronym for an office where they will publish a weekly list of crimes committed by illegal immigrants who are mostly law-abiding. It is similar to a weekly list of Jews' alleged crimes published in the 1930s.

It will also give special help for any victims of said crime. What about all the other victims of crime committed by legal residents?

By creating this entity, Trump singles out the crimes of a small minority within an already marginalized minority. It is like what our previous CDN government tried to do by setting up a hot line to report Muslims and Canadians did not like it to the tune of that government lost the election.

Where is his proof that immigrants commit more crime than home-growns? There are numerous studies to show that (even illegal) immigrants are less likely to commit crime than those born in the US. He is saying they are a menace to society. Is he preparing the US for something worse than deportation and a wall? I would not think so but we have to wait to find out. One supporter before the election said they should shoot them, but I don't think the American people would stand for that.

How you make something seem like the truth even when it isn't, is to do what he did here. Make it seem normal.

Exaggerate every piece of evidence that goes to the view you want and ignore the evidence that says the opposite. Even though it is atypical and not representative, but suits your purposes, have a media blitz about the exaggerated bits. Thus create fear and hatred, and the public will then want punitive measures such as deportation and a wall. Some, even if it is not established policy, go the extra mile and commit violence, even attack and kill the marginalized minority. We have seen this happening already.

progpen
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 11:43:39 AM

And this has happened in less than 2 months in office.

The White Supremacist Bannon has been busy. We are moving very quickly down a very dark path.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 12:29:15 PM

Neurons: 36,969

"Our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are vary substantial and will not be questioned."

Stephen Miller
White House Policy Advisor.
OnTheVerge
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 12:41:19 PM

Neurons: 337,070
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Unbelievably classless comments in this thread. Shameful.

Oh please Wilmar....like you're above all this politispeak. I think not or you wouldn't be perusing this forum. Why is it shameful to express one's opinion of how they feel about tRump?

I await your answer with baited breath........Think Whistle

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 12:56:02 PM

It would be nice to get the opinions of supporters such as FounDit and Listening on the Forum who seem like critical thinkers. Are we exaggerating our fears when we see parallels from history and are trying to learn from it? Or is this VOICE program OK, inconsequential, and nothing to worry about? Even necessary?

They may come on this thread (if they read it) and say what they think, if we promise to listen carefully and try to understand. I promise to do so. Not necessarily to agree but to listen.