The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 58,998
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:08:52 AM

Neurons: 1,503,987
George Eliot/Quotes
Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love.
It is never too late to be what you might have been.
Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact.
Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another.
An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry.
Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds.
Jealousy is never satisfied with anything short of an omniscience that would detect the subtlest fold of the heart.
Gossip is a sort of smoke that comes from the dirty tobacco-pipes of of those who diffuse it: it proves nothing but the bad taste of the smoker.
Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
A difference of taste in jokes is a great strain on the affections.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:16:09 AM

Neurons: 3,011,557

Context from: George Eliot's Life, as Related in Her Letters and Journals - Volume 1

[Letter to Miss Lewis, Oct. 1, 1841]

“Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I love - that makes life and nature harmonise. The birds are consulting about their migrations, the trees are putting on the hectic or the pallid hues of decay, and begin to strew the ground, that one's very footsteps may not disturb the repose of earth and air, while they give us a scent that is a perfect anodyne to the restless spirit. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/514430-is-not-this-a-true-autumn-day-just-the-still
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:48:31 AM

Neurons: 101,394
Daemon wrote:
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Who knows, maybe the bird's soul has its own obsessions - incompatible with ours, but equally delicious...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:48:49 PM

Neurons: 698,002
Very female wording, IMO.