The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

UK startup poised to take on Tesla in the home power storage market. Options
progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 5:45:30 PM

Neurons: 209,491
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2017/02/race-for-home-power-storage-pits-british-startup-against-tesla.html
Powervault Ltd. is preparing to boost production of its lead- and lithium-ion batteries, said Managing Director Joe Warren.

Power storage is considered a bridging technology as it is needed to fully incorporate wind and solar energy into residential and commercial usage. It is necessary for anyone who wants to completely disconnect from the grid as the stored energy fills in for times when the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine. It along with smart meters, which help consumers see exactly how much energy they use, are the defining technologies that will make off grid living a common occurrence.

The fact that we now have what looks like serious competition for Tesla can only be good news for consumers, as it will ensure that Tesla does not rest on its laurels and stagnate the energy storage market.

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 12:21:46 PM

Neurons: 151,529
The company I work for have just re-built their power systems from the bottom up.
AC which produces power from the heat it removes, rather than using power, lighting which produces only the useful frequencies - no UV, no heat etc.

The power company have refused to connect it to the power supply as their cables are not large enough to take the amount of current expected to flow FROM the factory TO the grid.

According to the engineer who came to inspect it, thirty-seven percent of the power in the grid now is produced "off the grid" - personal windmills, houses with solar panels, factories using the excess heat from manufacturing to produce electricity - hundreds/thousands of little power-plants.

Without new power-storage technology, this energy leaks back to the power stations and ends up being given to the power companies and sold by them - or, as in our case, it ends up wasted, because the power company can't handle it.

Lead-acid batteries used to be HUGE - this image shows the "new improved" batteries in a telephone exchange in the 1980s.

That whole room is a pair of 25-volt batteries. Each of those 2-foot by 2-foot by 3-foot cells is a 2-volt cell, a bit like an AAA cell for your little hand-lamp.
The Tesla cells are tiny in comparison and the ones from this new company sound comparable.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:05:02 PM

Neurons: 40,790

Drago -

That's wonderful! Mind you, I remember being taken into a computer room as a child: the entire room was the computer.

I also wish the public were made more aware of all the strides we are making, the victories we've already won, the directions we ARE moving in.

Everyone and her dog knows what climate change is doing to us- I think it would be heartening for them to know what we are doing to it.

FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:09:16 PM

Neurons: 44,530
Interesting. I visited the link to read up on these Tesla batteries. After reading the article, I began clicking on some of the links on the page for further reading. I'm not sure exactly how I wound up on this page, but since I always like to analyze both sides of an issue, I found this very interesting. It was written yesterday, apparently:

tesla-car-battery-production-releases-as-much-co2-as-8-years-of-gasoline-driving

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
progpen
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 5:19:58 PM

Neurons: 209,491
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/news/a27039/tesla-battery-emissions-study-fake-news/

Looks like more fake news. These fake stories have been making the rounds since the first version of the Prius hit the market.

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.