The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

China will begin construction on 35 new high speed rail projects Options
progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:23:05 PM

Neurons: 208,749
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-02/19/c_136068507.htm

China is set to start construction on 35 new high speed rail (HSR) projects which will add to a rail network that is already the largest in the world. According to the Economist, Less than a decade ago China had yet to connect any of its cities by bullet train. Today, it has 20,000km (12,500 miles) of high-speed rail lines, more than the rest of the world combined.

China has budgeted 800 Billion Yuan (116.8 Billion USD) for the 35 projects, which is the same as was budgeted for 2016 and plans to have HSR to 80% of its cities by 2020.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
L.Rai
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 5:57:06 PM

Neurons: 626,319
I have lived in China for 10 years, and I can personally attest to the great rail service here. You can get just about anywhere in China by train. The bullet trains make travel between cities very quick, and they are clean and comfortable too. Cities without bullet trains have regular service which is still very good.

I have my drivers license but I don't feel any need to get a car. I can get anywhere I want faster and cheaper using the local trains and buses. I only wish travel was as convenient in California where I'm from. If my state back home would only put in a decent rail service we could eliminate most of the personal cars from the roads. However, I won't hold my breath.

China's rail system is great! Kudos to them for making it happen and doing so in short order. When I can here there were only a few bullet trains, now I have many choices. Often it's cheaper to take the train rather than fly, and it can sometimes be faster. I live in Changchun and the fast train to Harbin takes about one hour, whereas if I were to drive it'd take up to 3 hours and cost way more.

I haven't done it yet...but I plan to take the bullet train from Beijing to Guangzhou one day soon. It takes 8 hours by bullet train. I've taken the regular train and that's over 24 hours, so 8 hours is much more attractive. I highly recommend if you come to visit China, plan on taking the trains between cities...it's a great experience!

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:10:40 PM

In Minneapolis, we've been building a local light rail and even that met with far too much resistance from local political groups. If only the US would invest in its infrastructure.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:11:37 PM

My wife and I have been talking about a trip to China. Now we know how we will get around to the major cities.

L.Rai
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 7:40:38 PM

Neurons: 626,319
Progpen:

If you come to China try NOT to take one of the arranged tours. You will see more and have more fun touring China on your own. I recommend going to some of the known cities, Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou, but the real China is seeing some of the smaller off the beaten trail.

You may need special permits for some places like Tibet, but for the most part you can get around easily as most travel places have some English and if you ask younger people most can speak some English.

Personally I enjoy seeing places that are not overrun by tourist. I love going to Harbin in summer, avoid it in winter, too cold and too crowded. I had a wonderful time in Mohe (the most northern city in China) but then I enjoy weird out of the way spots. Inner Mongolia can be nice in summer. I also liked Dalian, and a little seaside area that is becoming too popular, Zhapo.

You will need to be careful with your "things" as theft is common, but for the most part Chinese people treat most foreigners with kindness.

If you choose to trek it yourself and not use a tour group you will need to plan your hotel stays in advance, C-trip is a good site for doing that. Do check to be sure you can travel where you want to go without a tour group as some areas are restricted and that can change from time to time. For example travel to Xinjiang Province (Urumqi in particular) can be an issue during summer. It's a great place to explore the "silk road" and a trip from Urumqi to Kashgar by train is very interesting (if you are into history).

China can be a great place...hope you have a wonderful time here.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:30:37 PM

Thank you L.Rai, much appreciated. My wife and I stay away from guided tours and try to find out of the way places.

almo 1
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:50:34 PM

Neurons: 4,633
progpen
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 8:53:18 AM

Hopefully China and Kawasaki Heavy Industries can work together to find out what caused it.

almo 1
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 9:33:55 AM

Neurons: 4,633
On orders from the authorities, the rescue effort concluded less than a day following the accident, and the damaged train cars were seen being broken apart by backhoes and buried nearby.[57][58] The Railway Ministry justified the burial by claiming that the trains contained valuable "national level" technology that could be stolen.[59] However, hours after the rescuers had been told to stop searching for survivors, a 2-year-old girl was found alive in the wreckage.[57]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenzhou_train_collision