The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You Know about satellites?(19) Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:36:55 AM

Neurons: 69,927
Today, India placed 104 satellites, 96 of them American in space, in one go. How plaudit is this achievement?
I am proud of genii scientists of my country.
Bravo.Applause Applause Applause
Applause

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:15:53 PM

Neurons: 476,736
Ashwin Joshi wrote ,
Today, India placed 104 satellites, 96 of them American in space, in one go, how plaudit in this achievement?
Bravo!Applause Applause Applause Applause

I am a very proud American in learning of the achievements of India's space exploration... I would not minimize the event to 'plaudits' and India's scientists, I wouldn't say are genii, (magical), for they are geniuses, learned intellectuals using their gifts that God has given them to make history.

For those who may not have read it yet.... yesterday, February 16, 2017, India's ISRO launched a record 104 satellites from a single rocket. The satellites from seven countries were carried by the Indian Space Research Organization’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle on its 38th consecutive successful flight. The mission reinforces India’s emerging reputation as a reliable and cost-effective option for launching satellites. In 2014, ISRO put a satellite into the orbit of Mars, becoming the first Asian country to reach the red planet at fraction of the cost of a similar launch in U.S. and Europe.

This awesome event was recorded all over the world including, the 'Scientific American', 'BBC', 'Wall Street Journal' (where I perused it), and I have included below the article that appeared in the 'India Post'.

If I may correct you, Ashwin Joshi, it's more than 'plaudit', it's cause for a celebration ..Applause Applause Applause Applause

India Post
SRIHARIKOTA, Andhra Pradesh: Scripting history, India today successfully launched a record 104 satellites – all but three of them foreign – from here and put them into orbit in a single mission onboard its most dependable Polar rocket. Recording its 38th consecutive success, ISRO’s workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) injected India’s weather observation Cartosat-2 Series satellite and 103 nano satellites into precise orbit in a gap of 30 minutes after a textbook lift-off from this spaceport, about 100 km from Chennai.

As the country seeks a bigger slice of the multi-billion dollar space launch industry, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) bettered Russian space agency’s feat of launching 37 satellites at one go in 2014. The previous highest number of satellites launched by ISRO in one mission was 20 in June 2015. A majority of the satellites have earth-imaging capability while the Indian cartographic satellite is capable of taking high resolution images. Celebrations erupted among scientists at the spaceport here when the ISRO chief announced that all the satellites had been put into orbit as planned.

“All 104 satellites successfully placed in orbit. My hearty congratulations to the entire ISRO team for the wonderful job they have done,” a beaming ISRO Chairman A S Kirankumar said. Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated ISRO for the successful launch of 104 satellites, calling it a “remarkable feat”. “Congratulations to @isro for the successful launch of PSLV-C37 and CARTOSAT satellite together with 103 nano satellites!,” the Prime Minister said in a tweet. “This remarkable feat by @isro is yet another proud moment for our space scientific community and the nation. India salutes our scientists,” he said.

Thank you Ashwin Joshi, for a wonderful reminder of what is important and on the world's stage ....hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
TMe
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:27:20 PM

Neurons: 3,710
..hedy..your choice of words and world knowledge is marvellous.
Kudos.

Yes....hedy very right. It is a cause for celebration. Applause Applause Applause

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:56:47 PM

Thank you TMe, I wonder if Ashwin Joshi is also pleased, for 'his passion is learning'...
Learning is one of my passions....

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:11:23 AM

Thanks …hedy for your pithy and epigrammatic accolades for Indian scientists. You are a gifted language expert.
Further, your reminiscence of Indian Mars mission, oblige me to add an exquisite and pleasing feather in your cap. Please accept my greetings.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 10:17:45 PM

Neurons: 43,840
Thanks for the news, Ashwin! I had missed that. Scientists should always be congratulated when they move forward!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/india-launches-104-satellites-1.3983594

As someone who doesn't know anything about the space program in any country (other than when a Canadian, Chris Hadfield, was tweeting from space for six months) what exactly do they need so many satellites up there for? I understand weather and taking pictures and so forth, but there must be more to it than that. I would appreciate any info you can give me. The media assumes we know and concentrated on the event itself.

I did find this, but don't understand why we need more and more.

http://www.suntrek.org/solar-spacecraft/satellites-rockets/what-satellites-do/what-satellites-do.shtml

Hedy, you have mentioned your husband was a scientist/teacher. Was that his field? I can't remember what you said.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:22:01 PM

Thank you very much Hope123 for your interest in space science. The following is the purpose and benefits of satellite (small or big automated labs continuously orbiting the earth at variable heights but on a definite route, sending plethora of signals which are then decoded)I have culled it from net.

Without satellites we would be lost. We wouldn't know what the weather is going to be tomorrow. We wouldn't know what the world looked like. Without satellites we wouldn't even know how to travel. Satellites really help us out in every day life and we depend on them.

IDENTIFY CROPS AND OTHER PLANTS:
In the mid-1970's, a team of scientists in America identified 25 crops growing in almost 9000 fields in California's Imperial Valley, without even being near the valley. The thing that made it possible for them to name the crops, which included lettuce and tomatoes, were pictures taken by a satellite that had passed over the valley at an altitude of 570 miles. These Earth satellites can pick out particular crops and monitor their health. They can detect pollution, such as oil slicks at the sea, and they can help geologists to find oil and minerals.

LANDSAT:
Scientists can often obtain much more information when they take pictures at a wide range of wavelengths. Landsat takes photographs of the ground at seven different wavelengths. Three are visible: blue, green, and red. The other four are infrared or near-infrared wavelength's which are invisible to the human eye. These different color bands allow scientists to tell one kind of terrain or vegetation from another. When Landsat scientists look at all color bands, they can detect a distinct "fingerprint" for each type of plant, which is brighter when viewed at some wavelengths and darker at others. Satellites using infrared photography can also help to establish the dryness of a region. The amount of water in a plant's leaves determines the amount of infrared radiation that it reflects. This help's farmers to control irrigation and to predict droughts. The birds eye view of satellite pictures can see faults in rocks that are not visible from the ground. By seeing these features, geologists can figure out where there are likely to be seams in mineral or oil deposits.

HELPING SOCIETY:
We are no longer at the mercy of unexpected weather patterns that kill hundreds of people, as our weather satellites warn us of impending disasters. Farmers and foresters benefit from satellites, as they receive reports about river flooding and forest fires. Our future itself is more secure as we need NASA's warnings about the depleting ozone layer.
SPACE PROGRAM:
Everyday, in many ways, the space program serves us and makes our lives better. For instance, satellites surrounding the globe allows the United States to link up with other countries and people in an instant. It is impossible for us now to contemplate not being able to reach relatives on a foreign continent or not seeing international news " live".

ARTIFICIAL SATELLITES:
Artificial satellites are a manufactured object that continually orbits the earth or some other body in space. Most artificial satellites orbit the earth. People use them to study the universe, help forecast the weather, transfer telephone calls over the oceans, assist in the navigation of ships and aircraft's, monitor crops and other resources and observe movements of military equipment on the ground. Artificial satellites also have orbited the moon, the sun, Venus, and Mars. Such satellites mainly gather information about the bodies they orbit.

DIFFERENT TYPES OF SATELLITES:
Satellites are used for both exploration and communication. Exploratory satellites are equipped with instruments to measure the density, temperature and ionization of the upper atmosphere, cosmic radiation, the number and size of micrometeorites, and the strength and direction of the geomagnetic field. Weather satellites photograph the earth regularly in visible and infrared light, and they provide data to weather stations on earth, thus enabling the forecasting of weather conditions around the world. Navigation satellites allow positions at sea to be determined with an accuracy of up to 10 m, and they also aid navigation by locating ice and mapping ocean currents. SARSAT ( Search and Rescue Satellite System) monitors distress calls from ships and aircraft by means of a network of three U.S. satellites and two belonging to the former Soviet Union.

CONCLUSION:
In conclusion, now you see that satellites are extremely vital in the world. They are used in identifying crops, finding natural resources, warning us of storms and forecasting weather, communicating with other countries and the navigating of ships. We are so used to having all this technology at our fingertips that it is hard to imagine what our society would be like without it.

I hope, Hope123,I am successful in giving a bit of information.Good you asked.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:30:07 PM

Thank you so much, Ashwin! GPS I guess is another one. Maybe the older ones go out of orbit or we need more and more to do the same thing as well. And there are many more uses as you have mentioned. So we are being monitored from space as well as on earth. 😀

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:40:03 PM

Yes Hop123,GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) is one such type of satellite. As the earth is a spehere, there are hundreds of such sats for catching and transmitting waves to other ones as waves travel in straight lines. So the wave started from India reaches Canada or the USA, in a jiffy, travelling through connected satellites.Think Dancing

And yes, the older dead ones constitute 'space junk'. Japanese are or perhaps have prepared one such spacecraft who will collect junk from space and destroy it somehow.

will
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:33:20 PM

Neurons: 4,357
hedy mmm wrote:
I am a very proud American in learning of the achievements of India's space exploration...

WTF? d'oh!

TMe
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 11:45:06 PM

Will wrote, 'WTF d'oh! '.

Can anybody tell me what WTF means? Will looks confused.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 10:13:24 AM

Neurons: 161,951
WTF abbr. Vulgar Slang
what the fuck?
American Heritage® Dictionary

wtf
abbreviation for
what the fuck?: used esp in emails, text messages, etc
Collins English Dictionary

It is an expression of confusion.

I guess he's confused as to why someone could be "a very proud American" because they learned about India's space exploration. "How would something done in India make someone proud to be American?" seems to be his question.

In my mind, someone may be a very proud American to learn of an advance in America's science - or a very proud person to hear about an advance in the world's science.

Thanks for the news Ashwin. It is great news that cooperation like this used one rocket to send so many different satellites up - I remember the whole of the might of the USSR being used to get a rocket into spake with ONE satellite which did nothing but send a beacon signal, then a year later, the whole effort of the USA to get one satellite with a few electromagnetic detectors aboard.

Quite an advance since then.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
will
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 11:15:10 AM

Pretty much correctamundo, Drag0nspeaker.

Specifically I was WTFing the arrogance of seeing this news story, that illustrates the fact that Asian countries are becoming the world leaders in science, and spinning it into American pride and the generosity of the Abrahamic God.

I was tempted to go on at length about how all the Laws of Physics, that make this news a reality, are completely at odds with a six thousand year old Earth... but I thought Hedy had already interjected an unnecessary supernatural tangent, so I went for WTF?

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 11:29:00 AM

DragO sir, hedy ma'am and my TFD friends, I am thankful. India played host only.The presentation was from the countries who obliged and trusted Indian scientists.

hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:58:56 AM

Ashwin Joshi, you asked what WTF? means and added that will looked confused...sadly you've learned that it was a personal attack for me!
Thank you DragOnspeaker for your very poignant explanation of 'WTF?'

If I may ask...DIDNT ANYBODY READ THE THREAD!
It said: Today, India placed 104 satellites, 96 of them American in space, in one go. How plaudit is this achievement?

THATS WHY I'M A PROUD AMERICAN.....nothing to do with arrogance, at least Ashwin Joshi knew what I meant.

I knew 'what the fuck' meant, but I considered the source ...so I didn't bother responding for he's a useless piece of garbage who has no respect and who has nothing better to say. His name should be will-ful...or won't, because that better describes him.

Well, the bêtise will be happy to know I will not be participating on the forum again...my last thread was for tunaafi who sent a beautiful poem.

Today my heart got broken...I will never be the same.
hedy mmm

Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:54:46 AM

Neurons: 22,199
No Hedy, it is not a personal attack, it an exclamation of wonder at what can only be described as a rather strange train of thought.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
will
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:13:55 AM

Sorry if I broke your heart, Hedy mmm, that was sincerely not my intention. Have you considered finding a ‘safe place’ to do some colouring in?.. I keep hearing it said that this is how people deal with being offended these days – in reality it’s probably an overblown stereotype used to belittle and dismiss the genuine grievances of others, but it can’t do any harm eh?

Sorry to you too, Ashwin Joshi. This is the second time I’ve inadvertently derailed one of your threads with a flippant remark.

As an offering to get us back on track: Here's a real-time map of all the objects in Earth's orbit.
Red dots are satellites.
Blue dots are rocket bodies.
And the grey dots are miscellaneous debris (if my neighbourhood is anything to go by, the majority will be McDonalds packaging)

You can select individual objects and it’ll tell you it’s ‘stats’. It’s oddly addictive.

Edit: Links aren't posting for some reason. Try 3w dot stuffin.space/?intldes=2016-066E
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:30:05 PM

Neurons: 5,715

3w dot stuffin.space/?intldes=2016-066E

America is huge!
It looks grotesque, no offense intended.

TMe
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:00:16 PM

Will, that's the rare peep into the space, the live one, the astounding. With such images, the astronomers find the comets, the new celesitial objects, the planets, the supernovas those happened billions of years hence but the Hubble telescope captured the view now..Unimaginable, wonderful.

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:53:23 PM

will wrote:
Sorry if I broke your heart, Hedy mmm, that was sincerely not my intention

I didn't think I'd respond but I couldn't help it........Wow, clueless-will you're a bigger jerk than I thought! Talk about arrogance...you are sure full of yourself...guess that's a TFD bêtise trait....do you actually think that I was talking about you?

Don't mean to burst your bubble on the public forum...but you've mistaken me for someone who gives a sh_t what you think or say. My advise to you, is if you plan to take me on....pack a lunch

AND NOT THAT IT'S ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS...BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TFD
My heart was broken by someone I love passionately ....and only he can mend it.....he's my raaja

A message to TMe: yes I agree..."the images are unimaginable & wonderful"...the Almighty's creation... and HE is also concerned about us, for He loves us with an everlasting love....I believe it's also called Radhaaay.

....Thank you for your accolades, but unless my heart is mended, I have no desire to be part of TFD, for I've lost my will to impart knowledge.

Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:11:11 PM

Neurons: 428,370
hedy mmm wrote:
do you actually think that I was talking about you?

Don't mean to burst your bubble on the public forum...but you've mistaken me for someone who gives a sh_t what you think or say.

You seem to give enough of a 'sh_t' to respond despite saying you wouldn't, as well as taking the time to come up with alternative names as well as insults. Perhaps you should follow your own advice from the literature thread and stick to it. After all, if you don't follow your own advice, why should anyone else bother?
Absinthius
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:15:30 AM

Neurons: 22,199
It seems the violins they make nowadays continue to keep getting smaller and louder.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:38:24 AM

Neurons: 42,695

Indeed.Eh? Those were two of the dirtiest posts I've seen on here.

Not because of 'cuss words' but because of 'bad' words. I find such language as "you've mistaken me for someone who gives a sh_t" "you're a bigger jerk than I thought!" offensive on a public forum. However "he's a useless piece of garbage "directed towards another poster is completely unacceptable. That is simply not the kind of language that should be accepted.

Posting in capitals, bold, and underlined, is known as 'Flaming'. It is prohibited on this forum.

But calling another human being a 'useless piece of garbage' is just about the worst gutter-language I've heard. While I don't imagine that exact phrase is prohibited under Forum rules, direct abuse is.

Both your posts were completely out of line.

Period.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 10:11:07 AM

Ashwin - thank you so much for this wonderful thread - I had also wondered why so many. But, to my shame, hadn't wondered enough to actually ask - as Hope did.

I hope you don't mind, but may I point out two language points?

"How plaudit is this achievement?" simply doesn't make sense. The noun 'plaudit' doesn't exist in English. The word is 'plaudits' because it comes from the Latin for 'to applaud'. So you can see, if you substitute "How applaud is this" or "How clap is this" it wouldn't make sense?

Similarly, 'the betise' isn't legitimate either. In French it would be 'un betise', in English 'the gossip/inconsequential nonsense' . As you can see, it's a noun, employed in either English or French, that cannot be personified.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 10:59:33 AM

I am sorry, Romany I found the definition of 'plaudit' as folows;

Definition of plaudit

: an act or round of applause; Mariam Webster

Dictionary.com; noun, Usually, plaudits
an enthusiastic expression of approval:
Her portrayal of Juliet won the plaudits of the critics.
TFD; plaudit (ˈplɔːdɪt)
n (usually plural)
1. an expression of enthusiastic approval or approbation
2. a round of applause

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:45:25 AM

Exactly! Sorry -I meant to post the Oxford link, but totally forgot. Glad you found the above.

Now try substituting any of those explanations for the word 'plaudit' in the sentence I referenced.

One CAN say "Plaudits to our team" = "A round of applause to our team" = "An enthusiastic expression of approval to our team" etc.

But one can't say "How 'a round of applause' is that?" or "How 'enthusiastic expression of approval' is that?" Thus "How 'plaudit' is that?" just doesn't work.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:23:08 PM

Need not feel sorry, Romany.
It's a discussion forum.
We got to bring the ultimate correctness on the surface.
I am not expert of English Language. It's my experience only..and learning is my passion.

will
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:37:14 PM

Romany wrote:
Indeed.Eh? Those were two of the dirtiest posts I've seen on here.

I have been furiously colouring in ever since... Boo hoo!

will
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:37:48 PM

Interesting on topic fact: Satellites are built with clocks that run slower than clocks on Earth.

According to Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity, the high speed at which satellites travel causes clocks aboard satellites to run slower relative to clocks on Earth.

And according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, the altitude – in a weaker gravitational field – at which satellites travel causes clocks aboard satellites to run faster relative to clocks on Earth.

The effect of General Relativity is greater than the (slowing) effect of Special Relativity and the two combine to a small total increase. Although not much, the accumulative effect would be more that enough to put your GPS system out by several miles per day without the correction.

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:48:29 PM

Thanks Will, I've often wondered about the clock-thing before. I'd assumed it was some sort of computer programme which adjusted and displayed, like one of those which allow one to see relative time in different time-zones simultaneously.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:00:39 PM

Will and Romany, I wish I could remember and find the program I saw about scientists proving this theory about time and altitude. I usually watch "David Suzuki's" science shows or "Nature" so it was probably one of those two.

I remember they set up many experiments but in particular I remember them rushing up a mountain driving really fast around the curves but I forget how they did the experiment to prove there was a slight difference even here on earth the higher up you went. I wish I could remember more details.

I should research for more details even if I don't find the exact program. One always thinks of the passing of time as being linear and the same everywhere.

Does that mean you live longer if you live at sea level? Anxious

(Agree re out of line posts, no matter the provocation or personal problems.)

will
Posted: Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:28:44 AM

Romany wrote:
Thanks Will, I've often wondered about the clock-thing before. I'd assumed it was some sort of computer programme which adjusted and displayed, like one of those which allow one to see relative time in different time-zones simultaneously.

I assume some fancy computer jiggery pokery goes on... I think they send the signal at a different wavelength to compensate, but this is well beyond my field of knowledge.

But, it’s not a ‘time-zone’ issue. The difference is relative to every observer. An astronaut on the International Space Station (ISS) will observe his clock (passage of time is probably more accurate) working perfectly as expected. For him – according to Einstein’s theories – the ISS is considered stationary and it’s the Earth that is whizzing past; the astronaut would observe Earth clocks running slower – in this case special and general relativity have a compounding effect because the Earth clocks are in a stronger gravitational field.

Hope123 wrote:
I remember they set up many experiments but in particular I remember them rushing up a mountain driving really fast around the curves but I forget how they did the experiment to prove there was a slight difference even here on earth the higher up you went. I wish I could remember more details.

I imagine this was more illustrative than experimental; you’d need some fantastically accurate equipment to measure such a tiny effect under those parameters. This is more like the scales you need for results that fall outside normal margins of error.

Hope123 wrote:
Does that mean you live longer if you live at sea level?

I don’t know about live longer – if you get hit by a bus, it doesn’t matter where you are – but yes, according to General Relativity, you age slower… but it’s nano-seconds over a long lifetime, so I wouldn’t move house especially.

There’s a Russian cosmonaut – I can’t recall his name right now – who has spent a record of something like 800 days whizzing around the Earth in the ISS and the Mir space station. He is strictly speaking the worlds greatest time traveller, having aged a fraction of a second less than he would have if he stayed on Earth – in effect he returned to an Earth that was, for him, a fraction of a second in the future.

Time travel into the future is theoretically possible.

Edited to add: According to a quick internet search, satellites are built to run at 10.22999999543 MHz on the ground so that when they're in orbit under the influence of velocity time dilation (special relativity) and a slightly larger amount of negative gravitational time dilation (general relativity), they will run at 10.23 MHz. Peanuts!

Add the cosmonaut I mentioned is Gennady Padalka

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:29:59 AM

Will, I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I asked about living longer at sea level. But all the info you have provided is greatly appreciated.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:33:24 AM

Hope123,hedy, Will, Romany, almo1, Absinthius and Lotje1000;

Dear TFD Friends,
I posted the thread expecting a single word, ‘Bravo” in response.
In return, I got a thesis. I gained a lot.Dancing
Good comments, assertions, digressions, accolades, regrets and wonderful words posted are the addition to my knowledge.
Thanks a lot.

P.S. 'Time Travel Into the Future' is a wonderful read.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:26:05 PM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Hope123,hedy, Will, Romany, almo1, Absinthius and Lotje1000;

Dear TFD Friends,
I posted the thread expecting a single word, ‘Bravo” in response.
In return, I got a thesis. I gained a lot.Dancing
Good comments, assertions, digressions, accolades, regrets and wonderful words posted are the addition to my knowledge.
Thanks a lot.

P.S. 'Time Travel Into the Future' is a wonderful read.

Ashwin, that's what we do here 😀. You never know where a thread will end up. We learn a lot from each other and have some fun, and that is why I stay. 💥✅

Edited - and it is having fun with people who are interested in learning and who have similar interests. That makes it even better.