The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Canada's Meeting with the USA Went Well Yesterday Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:12:45 PM

Neurons: 31,532
Canada's Prime Minister got what he wanted - an assurance from T that Canada is not in his cross hairs, well for now that is, anyhow.

Trudeau has sent his officials to Washington ever since T was elected and they prepared the way and sorted out any problems ahead of time, stressing how many US jobs are tied up with trade with Canada, so all Trudeau had to do was be his usual suave self. Smart.

He also said when asked about T's immigration policy that he was not there to lecture how to run their country but stressed that Canada will continue her own policies and be an example. He also stressed the importance of security as well as an open border.

"A senior government source cited by The Canadian Press said the idea originally came from Katie Telford, chief of staff to the prime minister, who spoke to the White House about the idea." Globe and Mail requoted. And let Ivanka take the credit for the Business Women's summit. Smart. US press are giving Ivanka the credit.

Also smart - Trump had mentioned to Justin Trudeau on the phone earlier that he had met Trudeau's father. Trudeau listened, found a photo and presented it to Trump. It was a pic of Trump addressing a group where Pierre Elliot Trudeau was being given an award.

If you are in the "In group" with T you are "In". If he decides to keep you out, you are not only out, but often slammed on Twitter.

But the fact that the suave Trudeau held his own even in the analysis of body language of handshakes, was not even on American radar. Their story was Flynn quitting (and nobody hollered "Lock him up", either.)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:59:29 PM

Neurons: 678

Someone said Trudeau tried to hug him and Trump stoppd it with his left hand.

Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:13:31 PM

Neurons: 1,663,157
Hope123 wrote:
Canada's Prime Minister got what he wanted - an assurance from T that Canada is not in his cross hairs, well for now that is, anyhow.

Right now you are "in" and we are good. Tomorrow is tomorrow though.

Stay tuned.
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:17:25 PM

Neurons: 1,663,157
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:22:15 PM

Gary98 wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

Right now you are "in" and we are good. Tomorrow is tomorrow though.

Stay tuned.

That is why I said, "for now, anyhow". Until T changes his mind. Roses always have thorns.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:36:51 PM

Almo,

Huh. lol. A hug. That is funny. Trump tried to dominate by putting his hand on Trudeau's shoulder and Trudeau responded by putting his hand on Trump's arm. To stop himself from being pulled in and losing his balance, Trudeau had struck first.

Really funny because nobody is going to try to hug Donald Trump on first meeting. Trudeau is not stupid enough to try to hug off the bat, for goodness sake. Not only that but Trudeau has made some passive-aggressive remarks earlier that show he does not like the man. (Shhhh.) Trudeau is like his father - he does not kiss ass.

I don't know anything about handshakes by testosterone, but here's the analysis by experts.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/donald-trump-handshake-meaning-justin-trudeau-shinzo-abe-explanation-body-language-expert-darren-a7579541.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/02/13/donald-trump-and-justin-trudeau-shake-hands-an-analysis.html

Apparently Trump is known for trying to assert dominance with the first handshake. That from a bit of a distance as one goes to shake hands, he pulls the person towards him, getting them off balance, and asserting dominance. Trudeau went in close first and Trump could not pull him in. Also later, Trump actually proffered his hand so that Trudeau's was on top.

This photo is misleading but you can read into it anything you want, the same as the timing in the video that people are analyzing - but in the age of fake news, it went viral. If you watch a video of it, you will see Trudeau was not really hesitating.

But the photo sparked a caption contest. You can guess some of them.

Anyhow, we all just want friendly relations with our neighbors and to go about our lives without disruption.

Think about it - would you consider your neighbor to be a good one if they are friendly when you meet them, not in your face, and quiet? I would.

coag
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:14:24 PM

Neurons: 3,963
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:20:00 PM

Poor guy.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:53:39 AM

Neurons: 117,008
It is quite depressing to see so clearly the enormous gulf in character between first Abe and then Trudeau and the new inhabitant of the White House. Abe and Trudeau both show the calm, quiet mastery of diplomacy in the face of a blustery, aggressive and uncontrolled leader. This is reminiscent of meetings we have seen with African dictators and the authoritarian leaders of banana republics. I'm not the first to have noticed this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPrJxTvgdQ

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:24:03 AM

Neurons: 34,442

Don't worry, Hope - it was widely covered outside of North America: - I expect because we all like to be reminded of what Statecraft is.

Yeah, the whole handshake-thing is such an embarrassing give-away that it has spawned hundreds of vids. - some going back years - of Scrotus playing this cheap trick.The poor Japanese one went viral almost immediately. So the whole world was watching to see how Trudeau would handle it: and rejoiced that he behaved like a grown-up and refused to let this stupid game get the better of him.

I suppose everyone has come across the occasional insecure thickos who play this. Wearing rings all over every finger, I have developed bad bruises from coming across one of these clowns.

But a President??? Hosting another dignitary?? It's getting harder and harder for ordinary Americans to watch this bull barging around in his WhiteHouse china shop, while trying to give The Office any gravitas whatsoever, I should think.

But seriously, my Chart Topper for to-day was the introduction of the new 'Ambassador' (so-called Ambassador?) to Austria.

Jesus wept!

Priscilla86
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:04:41 AM

Neurons: 3,292
Romany wrote:

The poor Japanese one went viral almost immediately.

Shinzo Abe's split second expression after the handshake was so funny, especially knowing that the Japanese usually go out of their way not to offend. It *had* to be one hell of a handshake for Abe to (what looks to me) roll his eyes / lose his composure for a moment just to let out that 'disbelief' look.
almo 1
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 6:01:25 AM

"I suppose everyone has come across the occasional insecure thickos who play this. Wearing rings all over every finger, I have developed bad bruises from coming across one of these clowns."

said a prestigious female English teacher who have pink hair, tatoo and wearing a nose ring.

thefreedictionary.com/gets-a-tattooed--pink-haired

Romany
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 6:23:45 AM

Almo - even as Almostfreebird you used to pop up with that little nugget every once in a while - and this is the 2nd time since the name-change.

I'm seriously curious: - you don't contribute regularly (I mean, like daily) yet you like making comments on my appearance? Could you tell me - as I said, it's mere curiosity - why you think it's something worth mentioning?

ps I am assuming that you don't think my question is an 'attack' or anything. It's just something I've often wondered about.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 6:41:29 AM

Neurons: 306,095
Romany wrote:
Could you tell me - as I said, it's mere curiosity - why you think it's something worth mentioning?

I can't speak for Almo, but having read that thread and seen the picture (of the barbie at least) I think it's worth mentioning because it sounds awesome! You don't see much dyed hair here in Belgium, at least not in interesting colours.
Romany
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 7:19:39 AM

Lotje -

I've been bright pink now for over 10 years. It's not something I ever even think about any more: it's just part of me - as the odd freckle or colour of my eyes is.

Of my two tatts. the one which is always seen is merely a small star on my neck below my ear. Hardly leaps to the eye when I hove into view! The nose ring is in homage to my very first Nanny,Regina, in Sri Lanka.

Not one of these things impacts on the way I think, or feel, or behave. Which is why I'm so curious about why Almo reminds people about it out of the blue every so often?
almo 1
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 8:28:14 AM

Lotje1000 wrote:
Romany wrote:
Could you tell me - as I said, it's mere curiosity - why you think it's something worth mentioning?

I can't speak for Almo, but having read that thread and seen the picture (of the barbie at least) I think it's worth mentioning because it sounds awesome! You don't see much dyed hair here in Belgium, at least not in interesting colours.

This is a Japanese woman, Yayoi Kusama (an eccentric artist).

She is 87 and still active, and bright pink hair, which you hardly see in normal life in Japan.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 10:57:20 AM

Neurons: 124,418
almo 1 wrote:
This is a Japanese woman, Yayoi Kusama (an eccentric artist).

But what does that have to do with Canada/USA relations?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:51:33 PM

Digression -

Almo st Freebird? One and the same?

Pink hair? Better than gray made yellow at age 70! Whistle

Edited - I remember when my gran, around twelve-years-old, dyed part of her hair purple (can't remember if there were streaks of green too) probably to see what her parents and grandparents would say. They didn't say anything, and I told her how nice it looked. About a month later it was gone - she couldn't be bothered doing the work.

If it weren't extra work, I might check out to see if I could tolerate the purple dye for the bangs on the duck's tail haircut of white hair.

::::

I also felt badly for Abe when he was obviously being a statesman.

Nothing new re Canada US relations but Trudeau is off looking after the deal Freeland just made overseas, hedging our bets. CETA was passed by European Parliament.

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau marked the European Parliament's passing of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) early today, hailing it as a potential model for future trade deals while addressing the concerns of those who opposed it."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-eu-ceta-germany-1.3985007

Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 2:47:52 PM