The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Two Things God Hates. Options
Dreamy
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 7:53:17 PM

Neurons: 7,723
The Book of Revelation has messages to seven representative ekklesias (acceptable alternative spelling to ekklesiae).

Two of these messages reveal God's hatred, not for any particular people as such, but for their deeds and doctrines.

One: The Deeds Of The Nicolaitans.

Message to the ekklesia at Ephesus:
But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
(Revelation 2:6)

Two: The Doctrine Of The Nicolaitans.

Message to the ekklesia at Pergamos:
So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
(Revelation 2:15)

Matthew Henry in his Commentary on the Whole Bible wrote:
The Nicolaitans were a loose sect who sheltered themselves under the name of Christianity. They held hateful doctrines, and they were guilty of hateful deeds, hateful to Christ and to all true Christians; and it is mentioned to the praise of the church of Ephesus that they had a just zeal and abhorrence of those wicked doctrines and practices. An indifference of spirit between truth and error, good and evil, may be called charity and meekness, but it is not pleasing to Christ. Our Saviour subjoins this kind commendation to his severe threatening, to make the advice more effectual.

The word Nicolaitan is derived from Greek, "nikao", "to conquer," and Greek, "laos", "the people," or "laity." Some commentators make a case for the Nicolaitans being an example of infiltration into the early form of Christianity by a pagan priesthood that survives today in the guise of the modern clergy.

Originally Christians met in houses and did not have an authoritarian hierachy imposing its rule upon them.

Paul the Apostle gave the elders at Ephesus these instructions:
Quote:
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
(Acts 20:28-30)

Peter the Apostle gave these instructions to Christians scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia:
Quote:
The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, you shall receive a crown of glory that fades not away.
(1Peter 5:1-4)

There is a wonderful freedom to be had among Christians who meet as an authentic ekklesia to enjoy simple fellowship without need of a liturgy or clergy.

Quote:
How is it then, brethren? when you come together, every one of you has a psalm, has a doctrine, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
(1Corinthians 14:26)

Brothers and sisters who make up the body of Christ should individually acknowledge the lordship of Christ, and corporately acknowledge the headship of Christ, - no pagan, Nicolaitan, clergy substitute will do... God hates their deeds and their doctrines.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
You know who I am
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 10:07:48 PM

Neurons: 4,712
Dreamy wrote:
The Book of Revelation has messages to seven representative ekklesias (acceptable alternative spelling to ekklesiae).

Two of these messages reveal God's hatred, not for any particular people as such, but for their deeds and doctrines.

One: The Deeds Of The Nicolaitans.

Message to the ekklesia at Ephesus:
But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
(Revelation 2:6)

Two: The Doctrine Of The Nicolaitans.

Message to the ekklesia at Pergamos:
So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
(Revelation 2:15)

Matthew Henry in his Commentary on the Whole Bible wrote:
The Nicolaitans were a loose sect who sheltered themselves under the name of Christianity. They held hateful doctrines, and they were guilty of hateful deeds, hateful to Christ and to all true Christians; and it is mentioned to the praise of the church of Ephesus that they had a just zeal and abhorrence of those wicked doctrines and practices. An indifference of spirit between truth and error, good and evil, may be called charity and meekness, but it is not pleasing to Christ. Our Saviour subjoins this kind commendation to his severe threatening, to make the advice more effectual.

The word Nicolaitan is derived from Greek, "nikao", "to conquer," and Greek, "laos", "the people," or "laity." Some commentators make a case for the Nicolaitans being an example of infiltration into the early form of Christianity by a pagan priesthood that survives today in the guise of the modern clergy.

Originally Christians met in houses and did not have an authoritarian hierachy imposing its rule upon them.

Paul the Apostle gave the elders at Ephesus these instructions:
Quote:
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
(Acts 20:28-30)

Peter the Apostle gave these instructions to Christians scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia:
Quote:
The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, you shall receive a crown of glory that fades not away.
(1Peter 5:1-4)

There is a wonderful freedom to be had among Christians who meet as an authentic ekklesia to enjoy simple fellowship without need of a liturgy or clergy.

Quote:
How is it then, brethren? when you come together, every one of you has a psalm, has a doctrine, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
(1Corinthians 14:26)

Brothers and sisters who make up the body of Christ should individually acknowledge the lordship of Christ, and corporately acknowledge the headship of Christ, - no pagan, Nicolaitan, clergy substitute will do... God hates their deeds and their doctrines.

First, May the peace of the Lord be with you!

I have two questions:

What does Nicolaitans mean?
And how did they act that made them be so detestable by God?

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Dreamy
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:54:28 PM

Neurons: 7,723
Hi You know who I am.

You ask, "What does Nicolaitans mean?
And how did they act that made them be so detestable by God?"

Although my original post does go some way towards answering both these questions, and there are many commentaries freely available online that are helpful in this regard, I can expand on the topic for you.

Just as those who follow Christ are called Christians, so those who followed one Nicolas, or Nicolaus, were known as Nicolaitans at the time when the Revelation was given to mankind through John the Divine.

Quote:
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
(Rev 1:1)

Just as the name Christ, which means anointed, Messiah, perfectly describes Him, so the name Nicolas or Nicolaus which means conqueror of the people perfectly describes this man who led a cult or sect that effectively deprived those in it of the freedom which they were intended to live in by faith in the finished work of Christ on the Cross.

Paul the Apostle wrote:
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
(Galatian 5:1)

The entire Bible carries this thread, of disobedience to the revealed will of God leading to bondage, namely to the world, the flesh, and the Devil, while obedience to the revealed will of God leads to freedom from the world, the flesh, and the Devil. The Exodus from Egypt is a "type" or "shadow" of this escape from bondage, meaning it is an "example" to us. (See 1 Corinthians 10:1-11)

My contention, is that the Nicolaitan spirit is one of corruption, deception, and exploitation by which people are led into bondage, and thus conquered, so that a pious parishioner sitting passively in a pew prevailed upon by a priest from a pulpit becomes a substitute for a born-again, Holy Spirit filled Bible believer who freely moves in the gifts of the Holy Spirit*, enjoying simple fellowship without a dominating, intimidating, manipulating, and seducing hierachy imposing its rule on them.

I hope this helps by way of explanation but please feel free to inquire further.

* Gifts of the Spirit are listed in 1 Corinthians 12.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."