The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

FOR: Fans of Anthony Bourdain Options
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 7:52:35 AM

Neurons: 20,148
I am delighted to share a few nuggets from a long article about that gentleman in the February, 2017, issue of the New Yorker magazine.

* Mr. Bourdain's TV show is now on CNN.

* He has so far traveled to 100 countries in order to taste the food.

* He recently had dinner with President Obama in Hanoi, Vietnam. He says that he would never dine with President Trump or former Secretary of State Henry
Kissinger.

* The word he uses most often is "interesting," which he pronounces as: in - ner - ess - ting.

* His favorite country is Vietnam.

* He practices Brazilian jujitsu.

* He says, "I won't eat in a restaurant with filthy restrooms."

* He has a fixation on being on time.

* He has never eaten dog. He would do so only if his refusal to eat dog would make his hosts lose face in front of their community.

* He has a tattoo in ancient Greek that says "I suspend judgment." (It is Montaigne's motto.) An acquaintance explains that Mr. Bourdain "has accepted that everyone has broken springs here and there. That's what most of us lack-- the acceptance that others are as broken as we are."

* His show is now less preoccupied with food and more concerned with the sociology and geopolitics of the places he visits.

* Mr. Bourdain says, "I'm in the business of finding great places, and then we f*ck them up."

The article also tells a lot about his personal life.

The article is entitled "Journeyman." It was written by Patrick Radden Keefe.