The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Wise Words On How to Deal with 45th Options
Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 10:55:08 AM

Neurons: 31,532
These seem to be wise words for all of us, even on here, although we already do most of it. I had started to write "T", but I like 45Th, and the reminder that this is a regime is good. And I will do no more arguing with supporters. They start out as discussions but...

Bernice King, daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King, posted the 10 steps on how to deal with Trump and take back our democratic government. She passed on this wise advice:

-Don’t use his name; EVER (45 will do)
-Remember this is a regime and he’s not acting alone;
-Do not argue with those who support him–it doesn’t work;
-Focus on his policies, not his orange-ness and mental state;

-Keep your message positive; they want the country to be angry and fearful because this is the soil from which their darkest policies will grow;
-No more helpless/hopeless talk;
-Support artists and the arts;
-Be careful not to spread fake news. Check it;
-Take care of yourselves; and
-Resist!

Then, Bernice also offered this wisdom on her Facebook page:

Keep demonstrations peaceful. In the words of John Lennon, “When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you – pull your beard, flick your face – to make you fight! Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence and humor.”

‘When you post or talk about him, don’t assign his actions to him, assign them to “The Republican Administration,” or “The Republicans.” This will have several effects: the Republican legislators will either have to take responsibility for their association with him or stand up for what some of them don’t like; he will not get the focus of attention he craves; Republican representatives will become very concerned about their re-elections.’

Copy/paste and share this wonderful advice! Remember to keep your heads up and don't stoop to anyone's level. "We shall overcome!"

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 11:33:29 AM

Neurons: 334,427
Agreed especially on #4 and #5. The easy way out is fear and name calling. It gives a short rush, but it lets others say "THEY do it to."

And yes, the Republicans all voting for him--stuff they said they wouldn't--also bear huge responsibility. Many of them can be voted out in 2018.

I think this is good advice for dealing with anyone you have a problem with. Not that you should avoid them, but if you're able to focus on what's really going on, it's a MUCH bigger long term help.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 12:42:08 PM

Good points, Andrew.

We can do the above but still keep the heat on. And this is why.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/should-liberals-calm-down-about-president-trump-2017-02-10

:::::::

I have often wondered about this.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/do-trump-supporters-have-a-breaking-point-2017-02-09

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire
progpen
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 2:51:53 PM

Neurons: 117,008
Excellent advice.
The non-violence part is absolutely spot on.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:25:44 AM

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/02/11/514330289/unlike-bush-trump-invokes-terror-threat-and-gets-pushback-not-deference?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world
This article brings up a great point that I had not even noticed amid all the clamor these past weeks. It also reinforces the "Resist!" recommendation. The Bush administration was able to push through draconian legislation and executive orders with barely a whimper coming from the Democratic party, whereas, the current administration has encountered pushback at almost every step.

I still don't see the Democratic Party as being a viable opposition to the current administration, but peaceful and legal opposition has come from across the country in many forms.

Some very prominent differences between the two administrations is that the Bush administration was able to use the 9/11 attacks to their full political value. Also, Bush had a team (Rove and Cheney) who were capable of using the existing political system to their advantage. The current administration does not have a major terrorist attack to use as political capital and so they are left to fear monger at comical levels in their desperate attempts to create the same environment that existed after 9/11. The current administration also does not have the political experience to utilize the system to their advantage and so they are left wielding clubs instead of shaking hands.

All this means is that the current administration needs a disaster. They need a massive attack like 9/11 so they can concentrate power into their hands and not have all of this messy resistance. And the question then is this:

Will they create this disaster themselves? And if so, what will it look like?

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 7:54:48 AM

Neurons: 34,442

Prog - speculation is indeed rife in many countries as to what form that disaster will take.

However, as the USA is now in the grip of a bunch of people with about as much knowledge of how the world works as a bunch of 12 year olds,speculation slides from the truly horrific to the Keystone Kops ineptitude that daily entertains the world from the new seat of power: - the White House/Trump Tower Combo.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:01:02 AM

Hope - the reason I refer always to Grumph by variations of his real name is a) because his family name Drumph is an obviously 'migrant' name which (along with his wife-choices) shows his determination to keep out migrants is selective and b)because, naturally, all mentions of his real name attract surveillance.
'
(Trust our Gang of Three to interpret THAT as 'viputerative', 'hate-filld','spewy', 'vomity' 'attacks'!! You gotta larf.)

However if 'the 45th' becomes an alternative, it too will become recognised, and attract surveillance too, don't you think?
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:13:19 AM

Romany wrote:
Hope - the reason I refer always to Grumph by variations of his real name is a) because his family name Drumph is an obviously 'migrant' name which (along with his wife-choices) shows his determination to keep out migrants is selective and b)because, naturally, all mentions of his real name attract surveillance.
'
(Trust our Gang of Three to interpret THAT as 'viputerative', 'hate-filld','spewy', 'vomity' 'attacks'!! You gotta larf.)

However if 'the 45th' becomes an alternative, it too will become recognised, and attract surveillance too, don't you think?

Maybe I should just go back to T. Kind of hard to track that. :)

I think he is just beginning to realize what Obama kept telling him as Obama experienced it himself. Reality will kick in.

Obama went in with all kinds of ideas as to what he was going to do, reality set in, he found out within six months it was not that easy to implement his ideas, and spent the rest of the eight years trying to figure out how to get something done without trying to pass laws that would be rejected before they got off the ground.

T gets frustrated more easily, and he has to be pretty frustrated right now with the opposition not just by the judiciary, but by "We the People". He is discovering that running a country is not like running a business or reality show where you are the complete boss and can fire whomever you like.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:21:56 AM

Romany, my "We the People" comment reminded me that I had meant to ask you if you had seen the acclaimed headline in the Toronto Star the day after the women's world march on the photo of the march?

SHE the People

Romany
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:18:53 PM

No Hope, hadn't seen it. Thanks for that.

It seems the memes are coming thick and fast with this Administration, doesn't it? 'Alternative facts' and "And still she persisted." "BAD!"

Bet this one too is getting printed on quite a few t.shirts by now, yeah?
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:45:47 PM

I don't know about tees, but you can buy a replica edition of the paper.

Priscilla86
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 4:41:10 AM

Neurons: 3,292
My method of dealing with this whole madness is a little bit different but effective nonetheless.

It's a combo of strategic avoidance and regular exposure to satirical jokes about this insane predicament we're in that has helped me bigly ;->

I no longer read the news. Instead, I have them delivered to me via witty and funny takes by the likes of Stephen Colbert and John Oliver. And Saturday Night Live. The satirical takes really help take the sting out of the insanity. And then, depending on my mood, would decide whether to dig deeper or put it in the back burner and move on.

P.S. I still call him 'President Breaking Wind' (that's the old schoolyard English meaning, isn't it?) in my mind sometimes. Soothe the sting, if only for a while but I know it won't change a thing.
Romany
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:29:34 AM

Please tell me Trevor Noah on The Daily Show is also on the list? When things are just getting soo completely Disc World/Dystopian/surreal I find that me old mate Trevor (he's from South Africa) somehow manages to restore things to a manageable perspective and make me laugh.

If you don't know Trevor N just click on a couple of his clips on youtube. You'll feel comforted - and you'll have a grin on your face, too! (Plus - and this may only be me - but I find him quite easy on the eye, too!)
Priscilla86
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:42:14 AM

Romany wrote:

Please tell me Trevor Noah on The Daily Show is also on the list? When things are just getting soo completely Disc World/Dystopian/surreal I find that me old mate Trevor (he's from South Africa) somehow manages to restore things to a manageable perspective and make me laugh.

If you don't know Trevor N just click on a couple of his clips on youtube. You'll feel comforted - and you'll have a grin on your face, too! (Plus - and this may only be me - but I find him quite easy on the eye, too!)

Yes, he's on the list, and he *IS* an eye candy :) (I know he's from South Africa but for some reason I didn't think of you Think That's funny coz when I think of Charlize Theron, I think of you Whistle

These shows help, don't they? A couple of weeks ago SNL was doing the usual sketch with Alec Baldwin as T. He called Steve Bannon to the oval office and a grim reaper showed up while an ominous music started to play. I swear I fell off my chair laughing.
Romany
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 6:10:38 AM

Yes, I think humour and satire are the only antidotes to horrible situations. You may have seen me quote my mother's oft-asserted claim that it was their sense of humour that helped Britain not just through the Blitz, but to defeat Germany! (That and staying calm and drinking tea. If you could get tea!)

And hey, girl - I'd much rather you connect me with Charlize Theron than ANY bloke!! (Am glad I'm not alone with my opinion of Trevor N.being a real cutie. My son - whom I watch him with - just doesn't see it. Wonder why?)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 6:23:29 AM

Neurons: 124,418

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 6:25:34 AM

Applause Applause
progpen
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 7:12:20 AM

Trevor Noah talking about the first African President of the US was an excellent episode.

John Oliver dedicated the entire first episode of the season (Last Week Tonight) talking about what truth is, how it has been misused and then how to get it back. That episode should win an Emmy.

Both these people are "lefty furrners", so already have 2 strikes against them. But they are 2 of a very few people on US television who are actually trying to educate the American people.

Priscilla86
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:03:14 AM

Romany wrote:

Am glad I'm not alone with my opinion of Trevor N.being a real cutie. My son - whom I watch him with - just doesn't see it. Wonder why?)

Someone's jealous, methinks Think Whistle

progpen wrote:
Both these people are "lefty furrners", so already have 2 strikes against them.

What does 'have 2 strikes against them' mean? I'm not familiar with baseball terminology (or any sports-related terminology for that matter. I'm afraid I'm such a terrible female stereotype in this regard)
progpen
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:39:23 AM

Priscilla86 wrote:
Romany wrote:

Am glad I'm not alone with my opinion of Trevor N.being a real cutie. My son - whom I watch him with - just doesn't see it. Wonder why?)

Someone's jealous, methinks Think Whistle

progpen wrote:
Both these people are "lefty furrners", so already have 2 strikes against them.

What does 'have 2 strikes against them' mean? I'm not familiar with baseball terminology (or any sports-related terminology for that matter. I'm afraid I'm such a terrible female stereotype in this regard)

My apologies Priscilla. I should have phrased that differently.

In baseball you are allowed 3 strikes while at bat, and then you are called out.

In this case, these people are considered "progressive" or "liberal" by some. That is seen as a bad thing.
They are also perceived as not originally from the United States, which is also seen as a bad thing.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 9:26:43 PM

I just posted on another thread about watching Trevor Noah at your urging, Ro.

If you can get Jimmy Kimmel, the stand up part at the beginning is often quite good with subtle humor. Sometimes he has interviews with interesting people too. Trevor's interviews that I have seen so far, have been with people with something to really say.

Humor helps in this life all the time. With this problem T is inserted into everything as Trevor says, no matter what you go to do.

There were seven articles about T in the first three pages of the Toronto Star this morning - that I did not read. We have always enjoyed reading the paper with our coffee in the morning but soon there will only be puzzles and funnies left!

Romany
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:23:09 AM

Hope - goodoh - glad you've been watching my man Trevor.

Yeah, watch Kimmel - and lots of others from Oz and UK. Actually nearly wet myself laughing to see that OUR comedians and satirists get introduced on Youtube by American posters as "British Atheist comedians"!! On one show the panellists themselves were discussing it - it was hilarious. Tho it seems none of them are aware that the term 'atheist' is analogous with 'anti-Christ' in certain parts of the USA!

I wish The Hitch (Christopher Hitchins) were still alive: would love to hear his blunt, no-nonsense opinions in these times.

I always mix it up with pro and anti sites to get an overall perspective - depressing as that is. But I think that one thing this whole disaster has done is to open up the hitherto somewhat unknown world of American ideology to millions of people. And the more that happens, the more the dis-connect between American society and that of all the other First World countries becomes more and more sharply defined. Even when this farce gets sorted out, I think the USA's place in the world - in hearts and minds -has been forever changed now.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 9:37:59 AM

I'm only one person, but mine has certainly changed to now be more in line with what a lot of smart Canadians always thought.

progpen
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:12:06 AM

Romany wrote:
I wish The Hitch (Christopher Hitchins) were still alive: would love to hear his blunt, no-nonsense opinions in these times.

Blunt and no-nonsense brings to mind the Rude Pundit. I won't link to his website, because it is...rude. However, he is a great writer.