The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I never deal in transformations, for they are not honest, and no respectable sorceress likes to make things appear to be what... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,051
I never deal in transformations, for they are not honest, and no respectable sorceress likes to make things appear to be what they are not.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 1:27:32 AM

Neurons: 1,973,327
Quotation of the Day

I never deal in transformations, for they are not honest, and no respectable sorceress likes to make things appear to be what they are not.

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 5:38:55 AM

Neurons: 3,717,542
Context from : The Marvelous Land of Oz

Princess Ozma of Oz

"But -- see here!" said Jack Pumpkinhead, with a gasp: "if you become a girl, you can't be my dear father any more!"

"No," answered Tip, laughing in spite of his anxiety. "and I shall not be sorry to escape the relationship." Then he added, hesitatingly, as he turned to Glinda: "I might try it for awhile,-just to see how it seems, you know. But if I don't like being a girl you must promise to change me into a boy again."

"Really," said the Sorceress, "that is beyond my magic. I never deal in transformations, for they are not honest, and no respectable sorceress likes to make things appear to be what they are not. Only unscrupulous witches use the art, and therefore I must ask Mombi to effect your release from her charm, and restore you to your proper form. It will be the last opportunity she will have to practice magic."

Now that the truth about Princes Ozma had been discovered, Mombi did not care what became of Tip; but she feared Glinda's anger, and the boy generously promised to provide for Mombi in her old age if he became the ruler of the Emerald City. So the Witch consented to effect the transformation, and preparations for the event were at once made.

Read more:https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/ozland-264.html
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:49:18 PM

Neurons: 131,870
Daemon wrote:

If this all come from lack of magic, then there's no honesty in it...
dave argo
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 6:07:54 PM

Neurons: 61,723
"...no respectable sorceress likes to make things appear to be what they are not."

Only respectable politicians practice that sorcery.