The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Laura Elizabeth Ingalls Wilder (1867) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 61,725
Laura Elizabeth Ingalls Wilder (1867)

Wilder was the American author of a classic series of children's books based on her childhood. Born in Wisconsin after the Civil War, she traveled with her pioneer family throughout the Midwest by covered wagon for years before settling in the Dakota Territory. As a farmer and mother she struggled for years. Her first novel, Little House in the Big Woods was not published until 1932, when she was 65. How many of her books, which spawned a popular TV show, were published after her death? More...
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 9:59:55 AM

Neurons: 153,311
I grew up with her books. Read them many times over. Wonderful insight into frontier living.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 11:17:30 AM

Neurons: 36,173
Me too, Progpen!

And I watched every episode of the series on TV later.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 11:29:47 AM

Neurons: 36,173
Progpen,

About the time I was reading Wilder, I was also reading a Canadian author, Mabel Dunham, especially the two about the rivers - "The Trail of the Conestoga", and "The Grand River" - because as a child, we lived on a city on the Grand River and I had been to the village of Conestogo many times.

I do not understand why Dunham's Conestoga book is spelled with an "a" except that is how it is pronounced. But both the river and town end in "o".

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/getperson.php?personID=I22007&tree=generations

She was telling the story of her mother's people, the Pennsylvania Dutch, in Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada.

I should get those books and read them now I am no longer eleven.

Edited - wow, I just stumbled on the complete book of the Conestoga online. I AM going to read it!

https://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/dunham-conestoga/dunham-conestoga-00-h.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conestogo,_Ontario

Conestogo, Ontario is located at the junction of the Grand and the Conestogo Rivers. Waterloo, Ontario, even has a Conestoga Mall.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein