The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I Own Radha. Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, February 3, 2017 11:47:47 PM

Neurons: 82,298
Radha is my GF. Whole. Can I say,"I own Radha"?
Friends, please explain elaborately. I am passionate........to learn.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2017 3:44:44 AM

Neurons: 10,120
If you by GF you mean girlfriend then no you cannot say 'I own Radha' people do not own other people.
Shulamit
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:26:18 AM

Neurons: 48,633
Ashwin Joshi wrote:

Not unless you want to insult her integrity as an independent human being, But you might say something like:

"Radha and I belong to each other." There is a big difference as, "own", denotes possession, as if Radha were your property.

"Belonging together," however implies a mutual arrangement.

We also can say things like, "I belong here in . . . Borneo," (for example), meaning that it is right, comfortable, natural that I am here where I am. I should be here. In this usage, "belong", implies no ownership. There is a noun form of the verb. It is, "belonging".

The word, "belong", can also be used to imply ownership. Even so, it is a softer word than flat out ownership. "Belong", takes no direct object. It will be accompanied by, "to".

"They belong to the Artists'Guild."

"Radha belongs to me," gets closer to ownership, but there is not the harshness of pure possession. This is why it's best to say what I think you want to say which is that there is a mutual sense of belonging between you and Radha. So, "Radha and I belong to each other."
sureshot
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2017 6:04:47 AM

Neurons: 425,844
Ashwin Joshi wrote:

Well, the implied sense is obvious! In certain parts of of some countries such as India and China among others, the practice of owning a wife is still prevalent. It includes bride-buying/purchasing. In this sense, it implies that the woman becomes the property of the buyer and can be sold, resold or repurchased for reselling. The use of the expression "owning a woman/GF/girlfriend" suggests possessing the individual and be in a position of authority over her without fear of a negative response from her.

In my view, it is obnoxious to consider a woman as a commodity/property fit for owning. As known to me, in certain countries and religions, the wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. In these senses, both own each other!

The given text implies ownership/possession and 100% control over the other person's body and soul. It is for the individual to decide whether this thought describes the true state of affairs. Imagine the reverse situation - the man does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his GF/girlfriend! The situation can become weird if the GF/girlfriend goes around bragging about this state of affairs!

hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 12:07:11 AM

Neurons: 668,370
Ashwin Joshi wrote:

Shulamit wrote:
...Not unless you want to insult her integrity as an independent human being, There is a big difference as, "own", denotes possession, as if Radha were your property. "Radha belongs to me," gets closer to ownership, but there is not the harshness of pure possession. This is why it's best to say what I think you want to say which is that there is a mutual sense of belonging between you and Radha. So, "Radha and I belong to each other."

Shulamit, I think you said it quite succinctly, and I like your statement sureshot, that women "are not a commodity/property fit for owning".. Sarrriesfan, I really loved, "...no you cannot say 'I own Radha' people do not own other people" — with nine words you spoke volumes.

I would want to think that each would would describe it as, "Chemistry is you touching my mind and setting my body on fire" and "You don't cross my mind you live in it".. A woman who genuinely loves doesn't mind being 'possessed', just never be a 'possession'......

I think your GF Radha is a lucky girl...and she's probably worth it....for you state that you are 'passionate....to learn' and we've learned you good!
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 5:15:39 AM

Neurons: 1,319
If your GF is named Iyone, you could say, "Iyone, my own, Iyone." In that sense, "my own" is a term of endearment, used to express that Iyone has a close relationship to you.
"These are my own friends."
It's not the same as saying, "I own my own Iyone, so I don't need to rent an Iyone."
coag
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 7:17:44 AM

Neurons: 6,993
I guess, Ashwin Joshi could say "Radha belongs with me".
I am an ESL speaker, I say this on the basis of the song "You Belong With Me".

I don't listen to this kind of music. I remember the song title because the use of "with" in it was strange to me. I had expected "you belong to me". But that, as Shulamit said, is close to ownership.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 12:12:16 PM

Neurons: 4,946
Friends may I remind you of the word 'whole' used by Ashwin Joshi in his question? Is that insignificant?
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 10:43:42 PM

TMe wrote:
Friends may I remind you of the word 'whole' used by Ashwin Joshi in his question? Is that insignificant?

No, definetly not insignificant....I think Ashwin Joshi meant as a whole GF...body, mind and spirit, which is way beyond 'girlfriend', in a good way, as a sum of her parts...not just her physical, but her very being...

You are right coag, I believe the expression "Radha belongs with me" is back to ownership status....although it still sounds intriguing...

There are many songs like 'Lady' by Kenny Rodgers, 'Annie's Song' by John Denver and a slew of other singers who sing in this vein.
There was a very funny movie titled 'All of Me' with Lily Tomlin...a must watch and of course it's theme song was 'All of Me, Why Not Take All Of Me'....it's a 40's song ...and worth listening to.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 10:52:42 PM

Neurons: 4,946
hedy wrote;

No, definetly not insignificant....I think Ashwin Joshi meant as a whole GF...body, mind and spirit, which is way beyond 'girlfriend', in a good way, as a sum of her parts...not just her physical, but her very being...

You are right coag, I believe the expression "Radha belongs with me" is back to ownership status....although it still sounds intriguing...

There are many songs like 'Lady' by Kenny Rodgers, 'Annie's Song' by John Denver and a slew of other singers who sing in this vein.
There was a very funny movie titled 'All of Me' with Lily Tomlin...a must watch and of course it's theme song was 'All of Me, Why Not Take All Of Me'....it's a 40's song ...and worth listening to.

Yes 'whole' not insignificant....... yes...body, mind and spirit, very significant. Applause Applause
....hedy.....got it right
coag
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2017 3:05:47 AM

Neurons: 6,993
hedy mmm wrote:
'All of Me, Why Not Take All Of Me'....it's a 40's song ...and worth listening to.

Thanks for this reference, hedy mmm. I checked the Internet-- it's a nice song. It has been covered by many artists. I like Frank Sinatra's cover, among others.
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2017 9:29:13 AM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
IMO, Tme is trying to say
If you start talking with me about yourself, then you will not be able go away from me forever.
(He has magnet like property)

Ah, in there lies the answer 'He is/has a magnet....', a magnet is an attraction from opposite poles...magnetism. Thus, she also is/has a magnet and can't get away....in a very good way.....STILL NOT PROPERTY.....what TMe should do is treat his GF with love not lust and she will do the same, for..."there is a time for every season under heaven"

Of course, it's only my assumption, and only true if that's what TMe means.....n'est-ce pas?

A side note for coag....yes, great song...listen to other artists I've suggested and if you can, download the funny movie it'll be a hoot, as us Americans call it! Dancing