The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

forbidden names? Options
Kunstniete
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 1:48:11 AM

Neurons: 34,547
Hi there,

I know that this is possibly considered a stupid, really subjective and stereotypical "fact", but there a certain names which cause children to get worse marks in school. In Germany, these are mainly Chantal, Mandy, Angelina, Kevin, Justin or Maurice. There is even a word for this kind of influence, it's called "Kevinismus" ("Kevinism", since Kevin seems to be the worst name for your child in Germany). (Of course your favorite 20th century dictator's names are associated with bad luck in school, too.) It goes also the other way round as names like Charlotte, Sophie, Marie, Hannah, Alexander, Maximilian, Simon, Lukas or Jakob are associated in teacher's minds with better behavior, efforts and consequently better marks (at least in Germany).

So I wonder if there is a similar phenomenon in other countries? Which names affect children's fate in schools?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 2:36:50 AM

Neurons: 2,320
There are similar prejudices against certain names in the UK and some of them would be quite similar, but reason for it I would suggest due to other reasons than just the name. Children from families who use names like 'Chantel' and 'Kevin' are more likely from poorer backgrounds and will be less likely to a supportive environment at home, no help with homework, no work desks etc.
Parents who name their children things like 'Charlotte' and 'Alexander' will tend to be more affluent and more supportive of their children at home, have the space to allow their children good study areas, access to materials, information and possibly even tutors at home.

However these names are not ones that are truly forbidden, those are ones that are blasphemous like Satan, could promote racial hatred or other forms of hate crimes, it's also forbidden to name someone with a title like 'Captain' or 'Doctor so no confusions occur, ' which is allowable in some countries.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
srirr
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 3:03:03 AM

Neurons: 52,427
I recall I had read an article in some magazine which mentioned that there are some societies/ countries which have pre-defined list of names. When a child is born, the parents have to select any name form that list only. On the other hand, there are some societies which have a list of forbidden names. You can't christen your child with those names. I had found the similar thing on some blog as well (trying to find that out).

Owing to cultural circumstances, parents do not prefer the names associated with evil mythological or historical characters. There can be some exceptions, but mostly it is true. In Indian Hindu societies, names like Ravan, Kans, Duryodhan are not given to any child. These were the villains or demons in mythological epics.

Interestingly, some decades back in many parts of India, parents refrained from naming their children as "Pran". The word 'pran' actually means life and is a very beautiful name. But in decades of 1950s and 1960s, a brilliant movie actor, named Pran played the roles of villains in many Hindi movies. His popularity was often more than that of heroes. And, because of his negative roles in the movies, people preferred not to name their children Pran.

Children with such names are often subject to ridicule. They are bullied by friends and others. Some people argue that names affect the lifestyle of a person. Having a 'negative' name may drive the child in wrong direction.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Kunstniete
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 3:23:59 AM

srirr wrote:
Owing to cultural circumstances, parents do not prefer the names associated with evil mythological or historical characters. There can be some exceptions, but mostly it is true. In Indian Hindu societies, names like Ravan, Kans, Duryodhan are not given to any child. These were the villains or demons in mythological epics.

Interestingly, some decades back in many parts of India, parents refrained from naming their children as "Pran". The word 'pran' actually means life and is a very beautiful name. But in decades of 1950s and 1960s, a brilliant movie actor, named Pran played the roles of villains in many Hindi movies. His popularity was often more than that of heroes. And, because of his negative roles in the movies, people preferred not to name their children Pran.

That's quite interesting, since nobody in Germany would name their child "Jesus", whereas that seems not to be unusual in the US.
Priscilla86
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:15:49 AM

Neurons: 3,349
Hello, Kunstniete!

Interesting, I never knew 'Kevin' carried such stigma in Germany and UK. Always thought 'Kevin' was quite alright. How did this come about?

Kevin or Kelvin is quite common in Asia but Chantal is not. It sounds very European and would conjure up an image of a sensual woman, I think.

I can't think of 'forbidden names' in Indonesia in the sense that you described. However, my younger sister's name is Grace which I think is a great, beautiful name but my mom used to have a classmate named Grace and she was (in my mom's word) stupid, probably utterly so that my mom has come to associate 'Grace' with 'a stupid person', even when it's her own child! Parents can be horrible, sometimes Brick wall
srirr
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:25:10 AM

Another interesting point can be the similarity of a name in one language with some forbidden or negative word in another language. With world shrinking everyday and cultures & languages crossing the boundaries of countries, it sometimes (unintentionally) becomes a matter of ridicule or embarrassment for a child. As Kunstniete mentioned, 'Jesus' can be heard in the US, but nobody in Germany would name their child 'Jesus'. If a child, 'Jesus' from the US moves to Germany, will he be a subject to discrimination and/or teasing just because of his name?

I would add that Anal is an accepted and good name in Hindi (the pronunciation differs from what you read). It is in Hindu mythology. But how would an English speaking person take it?
Skoda manufactures cars and one of the models is Laura. This is a seriously obscene word in Hindi and people often laugh at it. There are thousands of jokes having a Skoda Laura car. One can not even take the name in front of their family. If this would be name of some person, they will never be treated normal.

P.S: I could see there are many countries, like Sweden, Portugal, Saudi Arabia where some names are illegal and unconstitutional.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Kunstniete
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:59:30 AM

srirr wrote:

Skoda manufactures cars and one of the models is Laura. This is a seriously obscene word in Hindi and people often laugh at it. There are thousands of jokes having a Skoda Laura car. One can not even take the name in front of their family. If this would be name of some person, they will never be treated normal.

That's really surprising, since "Laura" is a rather common name in Germany. So better check your own name before travel to a foreign countryWhistle
But there are lots of stupid car names, sometimes I wonder where they came from. I mean nobody in the right mind would name a car "Mokka" or "Cactus" Not talking

The translation of names is a really big problem. I'm just thinking about all the refugees from all over the world who have to translate their names due to immigration. That's also a sad thing, since if you don't know the language / alphabet of the country you immigrate to, you'll probably write your name wrong and / or different everytime.

Priscilla86 wrote:
However, my younger sister's name is Grace which I think is a great, beautiful name but my mom used to have a classmate named Grace and she was (in my mom's word) stupid, probably utterly so that my mom has come to associate 'Grace' with 'a stupid person', even when it's her own child! Parents can be horrible, sometimes

That's confusing. Why would I name my child after someone I dislike? Maybe she had just a bad day? Anxious
Grace is a nice name indeed, but uncommon in Germany since it sounds to foreign. You always have to consider the people who have to call you child (i.e. teachers). If they're old / not familiar with foreign languages (and yes, even english counts here) and your child has an uncommon name they don't know how to spell it.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:22:54 AM

Neurons: 99,969
Quote:
That's really surprising, since "Laura" is a rather common name in Germany.

I only met one girl who was called Laura and that when I was in kindergarten.

Quote:
The translation of names is a really big problem. I'm just thinking about all the refugees from all over the world who have to translate their names due to immigration.

Here in Russia you can not choose the way your name is written in English. The authorities have their own rules for translating your name into English when they issue a passport for you. My name they write as Sergey though I would prefer the way my English teacher would do - Sergei. In Canada they could not pronounce it the Russian way but I like the way one Jamaican lady would call me - s e r j i - Sir Gee. Better than Sir Gay - the way we say in Russian.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:25:17 AM

Neurons: 59,426
In the Indian religious book, 'The Ramayana' a character named 'Kaikayi' plays a negative role. No mother, in India till date has dared name her daughter as 'Kaikayi' for the sole reason that Kaikayi caused too much harm unnecessarily.

Learning is my passion.-Aj
Priscilla86
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:48:02 AM

Kunstniete wrote:

That's confusing. Why would I name my child after someone I dislike? Maybe she had just a bad day? Anxious

My dad chose the name. My mom was just being a good wife and followed along with him.

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:

Better than Sir Gay - the way we say in Russian.

Bwahahahahahaha. Sir Gay, that's a good one =D But I thought the first word of your username is pronounced 'Khargin' or have I been studying Cyrillic wrong?

srirr wrote:

I would add that Anal is an accepted and good name in Hindi (the pronunciation differs from what you read). It is in Hindu mythology. But how would an English speaking person take it?

Hello, srirr! Did not know that about Anal...and yikes! I'm sure people familiar with its English connotation would have a hard time getting over the fact that it is actually acceptable in India.

What does 'Laura' mean in Hindi, anyway? I also didn't know it was an obscene word and I actually quite like the name.

Just to add, I once had a colleague whose name sounded like 'Yee-haw' (he was Chinese) and I had to resist making a lasso-throwing gesture every time I had to call him (offensive, I know).
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:50:33 AM

Neurons: 315,350
In Belgium, "Joke" is a common name for girls as a diminutive of Jo. You can imagine how well that goes over in English-speaking countries.
srirr
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:55:24 AM

Priscilla86 wrote:

What does 'Laura' mean in Hindi, anyway? I also didn't know it was an obscene word and I actually quite like the name.

It is a slang for penis.

P.S. You can find many of these cars in India. People like the car.Whistle

Priscilla86
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:56:24 AM

Lotje1000 wrote:
In Belgium, "Joke" is a common name for girls as a diminutive of Jo. You can imagine how well that goes over in English-speaking countries.

Bwahahaha that's funny (pun intended) =D

And I recall a few months (or years?) back, Estee lauder launched an EE cream (A ludicrous continuation on the BB cream trend, no doubt). 'EE' pronounced in Indonesian accent is a low class slang for 'poo'. Imagine that.
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 6:01:46 AM

I remember watching the English patient in school and being thoroughly amused by a character called Kip which means 'Chicken' in Dutch.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 6:04:39 AM

Priscilla86 wrote:
But I thought the first word of your username is pronounced 'Khargin' or have I been studying Cyrillic wrong?[/color]

I already explained it twice. Harbin is a Chinese city and Heilongjiang is the province whose capital Harbin is. When you write both in Russian it looks almost like an Armenian name. Furthermore my great grandmother was raised in Harbin.
Peter O'Connor - Dundalk
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 7:38:26 AM

Neurons: 413,510
In Ireland there are names that are 'normal' in Ireland (though they are sometimes just bad translations from the original Irish) and some of these names are blocked by social media sites much to the amusement of many and the annoyance of those affected.
Names such as Effin (https://www.logainm.ie/en/31096) thought to have been a person's name - though this has never been established.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/06/an-effin-shame-facebook-blocks-irish-town-for-offensive-name/Dancing

Muff, Co Donegal now celebrates its name following a legal challenge with Facebook: www.mufffestival.com Applause
Muff-Diving Club: http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/ Anxious

For further reading see : http://meanwhileinireland.com/18-rudest-place-names-in-ireland/ d'oh!

Banned Names: http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/weird-news/17-banned-baby-names-around-4726386
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:31:01 AM

Peter O'Connor - Dundalk wrote:
In Ireland there are names that are 'normal' in Ireland (though they are sometimes just bad translations from the original Irish) and some of these names are blocked by social media sites much to the amusement of many and the annoyance of those affected.
Names such as Effin (https://www.logainm.ie/en/31096) thought to have been a person's name - though this has never been established.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/06/an-effin-shame-facebook-blocks-irish-town-for-offensive-name/Dancing

Muff, Co Donegal now celebrates its name following a legal challenge with Facebook: www.mufffestival.com Applause
Muff-Diving Club: http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/ Anxious

For further reading see : http://meanwhileinireland.com/18-rudest-place-names-in-ireland/ d'oh!

Banned Names: http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/weird-news/17-banned-baby-names-around-4726386

In the early days of computing the town of Scunthorpe in England had a similar problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

It's name contained 4 letters in a certain order that triggered filters.

There are also many place names in the UK that night be considered rude.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3606201/Revealed-Britain-s-RUDEST-place-names-Bell-End-sees-strong-competition-likes-Brown-Willy-Sandy-Balls-Twatt.html

Kunstniete
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:36:58 AM

Lotje1000 wrote:

But hopefully it's pronounced other way than the joke?

Recently I read an article which dealt with a guy whose first name was Dana. That was a bit disturbing for me, since I associate that name with the agent from the X-Files since I was a kid Think
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 9:00:40 AM

Kunstniete wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

But hopefully it's pronounced other way than the joke?

It's pronounced yo-kuh.
towan52
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 10:18:30 AM

Neurons: 147,453
How do you give a child a bad name? Make sure they're born to David & Victoria Beckham!

'War is God's way of teaching Americans geography!'
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 10:47:59 AM

Naming your daughter after a borough of London like the Clintons did seems just as bad as the Beckhams.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 11:26:19 AM

From the discussion,I gather one should put the proposed name of the newborn to the world first for approval.

hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 11:26:50 AM

Neurons: 332,210
What an awesome thread KunetnieteApplause Applause

I'm American, of Puertorrican & German descent, and the name hedy (he-dee) is German/Austrian, however, the pronunciation in Spanish would be 'eddy', because, in Spanish the 'h' is silent...to get correct pronunciation in Spanish you would have to spell it 'Jedy'... Brick wall

I did not want to give my son an iffy name, because kids could be very cruel, so consider this when naming your child...his name is Joel (not Joey!)

I'm curious as to what names mean...I was told that my name means war...I'm curious what it means in other languages or cultures...Hope123 once said that it's not the meaning in Canada, but I don't remember what she so sweetly had said...it was not war! Dancing

But whatever you do...don't name your son Sue! (A good Johnny Cash song, 'A Boy Named Sue').....it's worth listening to.
hedy
. Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 11:39:28 AM

The name of the shuttlecock, in one or two states of India, is extremely obscene. Still people of those states are not bothered.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:01:47 PM

All said and done.

Juliet:

O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Romeo:

[Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

Juliet:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Romeo:

I take thee at thy word:
Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized;
Henceforth I never will be Romeo.

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:02:10 PM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
The name of the shuttlecock, in one or two states of India, is extremely obscene. Still people of those states are not bothered.

A café in Karaganda, Kazakhstan.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:45:51 PM

I AGREE, they shouldn't be...the names of upstate towns that with 'Kill', such as 'Catskills', 'Peekskill'...would you believe, some idiots wanted to change their town's name because it had that ending....idiots...the suffix has nothing to do will kill!

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:50:09 PM

In one of the movies under the banner'Carry On' the name of the medico was "Dr Killmore". Dancing

hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:58:11 PM

My God Ashwin Joshi, what a beautiful post and my very favorite author...I LOVE Shakespeare,
so thank you.....my response pales in comparison...your post says it all...YES, YES

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 1:07:37 PM

Thanks, hedy, you are a distinguished and master teacher. I have learnt many manners from you.I have great regard for teachers.Pray

Romany
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 1:20:22 PM

Neurons: 34,918

In China people choose their own English names; or sometimes ask one, as an educator, to choose for them.

I had students called 'Watermelon', 'Lemon', 'Lion', 'Goodboy', 'Hero' 'Ice-cream' and memorably, 'Placenta'. Unless they were going to study overseas I usually didn't interfere. Poor old Placenta, however, had a very embarrassed 5 minutes with me after class and subsequently became 'David'!
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 1:29:59 PM

Romany; I had students called 'Watermelon', 'Lemon', 'Lion', 'Goodboy', 'Hero' 'Ice-cream' and memorably, 'Placenta'. Unless they were going to study overseas I usually didn't interfere. Poor old Placenta, however, had a very embarrassed 5 minutes with me after class and subsequently became 'David'!

They must be cursing their name-choosers on attaining knowledge from William S's writings.

srirr
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 1:25:30 AM

hedy mmm wrote:
what a beautiful post and my very favorite author...I LOVE Shakespeare,

[/b]

With due respect to one and all, and not disturbing anyone's sentiments....

When I was young, I didn't know how Shakespeare is spelled and I always wondered how one could carry a name like "Sex-Pear" with dignity. Silenced

I know I sound silly sometimes.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 2:19:44 AM

srirr wrote:
hedy mmm wrote:
what a beautiful post and my very favorite author...I LOVE Shakespeare,

[/b]

With due respect to one and all, and not disturbing anyone's sentiments....

When I was young, I didn't know how Shakespeare is spelled and I always wondered how one could carry a name like "Sex-Pear" with dignity. Silenced

I know I sound silly sometimes.

That's okay, Shakespeare did not know how Shakespeare was spelt, there are 6 documents signed by him in existence and on each one the spelling varies. The current,y used spelling was not agreed upon until last century.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_Shakespeare's_name

Willm Shakp
William Shaksper
Wm Shakspe
William Shakspere
Willm Shakspere
By me William Shakspegare.
I am lucky enough to live only one train journey away from the Globe Theatre on Bankside, so have watched many plays there it's only £5 for a groundling ticket, although I also love the Sam Wannamaker playhouse, part of the same site. It's a reproduction of a Jacobean theatre that is inside and all the lighting is done by candle light.