The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Trade War by Trump with Canada and Mexico - Consequences Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:35:03 AM

Neurons: 42,042
These states would be hurt the worst if the trade war that is shaping up by Trump with Canada and Mexico.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/these-states-would-get-hurt-most-in-a-trump-trade-war.html

More trade with China as replacement not likely.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/chinese-are-playing-trump-like-a-drum-economist.html

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Gary98
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 1:53:28 PM

Neurons: 2,526,361
Trade war with Canada and Mexico is just a little warm up. Wait till T get to the real thing with China. Brick wall
Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 4:41:37 PM

Gary98 wrote:
Trade war with Canada and Mexico is just a little warm up. Wait till T get to the real thing with China. Brick wall

Lol, Gary. You are probably right. Only it doesn't feel like warm-up to Canadians and especially Mexicans.

progpen
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:37:16 AM

Neurons: 208,676
The only (and I do mean only) benefit I can see from massive trade wars that decimate our economy and complete our decent to 3rd world country is that we would then be able to build our local sustainable economies with much less interference.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 12:43:27 AM

Neurons: 151,331
I'm not an expert, but I feel pretty certain that a HUGE country like the USA could actually produce pretty much all the people need. Probably Canada and Mexico too.

Maybe home-grown produce wouldn't make so much (or any) profit for the multi-nationals . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
will
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 8:32:51 AM

Neurons: 4,277
On the face of it I ought to find myself in agreement with Trump's rhetoric on Globalization. Global free trade has not been free, in the sense of being equal and fair, for some time. I believe globalization, and global capitalism particularly, is deeply flawed and has had many disastrous consequences...

But I don't think Trump honestly believes his rhetoric, or cares, and from his actions so far, it looks like the devil we have is the preferred option.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 10:30:01 AM

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/02/08/freeland-warns-washington-canada-is-ready-to-fight-a-trade-war.html

Canada is ready to retaliate in trade war, Freeland warns Washington
"Ottawa will retaliate if there is a tax on Canadian imports, foreign affairs minister says after day of meetings in the U.S. capital.

Her parliamentary secretary on Canada-U.S. affairs, Andrew Leslie, would not clarify further. “We’re there to ensure our economic interests are protected and we’ll defend those fiercely . . . until the actual negotiations start we’re not in a position to say what we will or won’t do.”

Freeland would not put her “cards on the table” publicly in advance of any possible move by the U.S. to reopen the NAFTA.

Still, she said in all her meetings — with Tillerson and senior Republican congressional leaders like Speaker Paul Ryan, Sen. John McCain, and senators Bob Corker and Ben Cardin — the Americans were well-briefed on the “mutually beneficial” Canada-U.S. economic and trading relationship." End quote.

NAFTA has been updated 11 times since it was implemented in 1994.

Trade Treaties cannot be blamed for the loss of all jobs as a lot of jobs were lost by mechanization and different requirements of the world. Tax breaks to companies that still send jobs off-shore to where labor is cheaper should be stopped. Labor is cheaper in developing countries because of unions in developed countries. Trade has always been done whether there were treaties or not.

Many jobs are tied to NAFTA in all three countries.