The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

someone who sets up a couple Options
yummyspringroll
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 9:13:00 PM

Neurons: 27,640
The one who introduce someone to another, hoping that they would end up dating. (Not that it's their job, it's more like a close friend who's asked to introduce another friend to another friend)
What is they called? Middle man? Cupid? Matchmaker?
srirr
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 1:38:35 AM

Neurons: 460,707
I don't think there is some special word for that. Others may throw some light on it.

To me, we can use a word like matchmaker or cupid as per our convenience and understanding ability of the audience. I personally would not prefer to use 'middle man'. It sound more 'business related' or commercial.

In fact, I had used a term for such person in my close fraternity once. Since I was well aware of the mindsets of all the people listening to me (and they were aware of mine), I called the person a catalyst. And everyone got the meaning.
papo_308
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:20:39 AM

Neurons: 25,227
We have a word for it in our language. The Czech-English dictionary translates it as matchmaker or marriage broker.

But it's outdated.
Shulamit
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 3:28:45 AM

Neurons: 48,633
papo_308 wrote:
We have a word for it in our language. The Czech-English dictionary translates it as matchmaker or marriage broker.

But it's outdated.

In Yiddish, the word is, "Shadkhen," (phonetic as I could make it).

So when the arranged match is successful and the couple get married, it is called, "a Shadkhen wedding".
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 8:05:42 AM

Neurons: 30,386
yummyspringroll wrote:
The one who introduce someone to another, hoping that they would end up dating. (Not that it's their job, it's more like a close friend who's asked to introduce another friend to another friend)
What is they called? Middle man? Cupid? Matchmaker?

"Matchmaker" is the most common way to name such a person and, as has been noted by papo_308, it sounds as if that person were interfering rather than facilitating.

Shulamit wrote:
So when the arranged match is successful and the couple get married, it is called, "a Shadkhen wedding".

Forgive me, yet that sounds so much like a "shotgun wedding" (a wedding forced by threat of a shotgun by the father of the impregnated woman) that I wonder if there weren't a bit of humor involved in that meshugas

Dancing
Romany
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 8:20:56 AM

Neurons: 51,750

In Western culture matchmakers don't exist any longer. They weren't ever a feature of our social culture but the province of different religious groups.

However, the concept of 'matchmaking' is well-known. So what we tend to do is to say that someone is 'acting' or 'playing' the matchmaker.

"Bill & Ted are such funny people I decided to play the matchmaker and introduce them."
"Now I'm divorced I'm perfectly happy. I don/t want anyone acting the matchmaker and trying to 'fix me up'."

"Matchmaker" then, isn't restricted to romantic/sexual pairing, just getting people together.

In modern English it's "to fix someone up" that means to put someone together with someone else for either sexual or romantic pairing.
thar
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:29:57 AM

Neurons: 85,467
You can be a matchmaker - that sounds pretty serious - a professional (or at least formalised) arrangement
You can play matchmaker - that sounds less serious, where you get people together
Or you can play Cupid - that is more "cutesy" implying that you get people together to let fate happen.

You can't be Cupid - since he is a Roman deity. Whistle You can only play his role for a while.
yummyspringroll
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:25:17 PM

Neurons: 27,640
wow, thanks everyone! Pray