The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Trackig deleted data Options
whatson
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:42:17 PM

Neurons: 2,522
Toronto (Ontario, Canada) group tracking data deleted under Trump regime

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2017/01/25/toronto-internet-archivers-monitor-trumps-impact-on-science-.html

'A Toronto group is making it their business to safeguard public access to information during Donald Trump’s administration.
On Wednesday, Trump mandated political appointees must review Environmental Protection Agency studies and data before they’re released. Last week, just minutes after his inauguration, references to climate change were scrubbed from the White House website.
It’s likely just the beginning, said University of Toronto professor Michelle Murphy.
“We expect in the coming days to see more profound changes,” she said.
The director of the Technoscience Research Unit has been preparing for Trump’s Internet purge all fall and helped organize an event to stockpile scientific data from government websites in December.
Now, as the new president gets down to business, the group is shifting its focus to tracking exactly what’s being lost.
“We are monitoring tens of thousands of websites that we have identified as vulnerable to change so that we can be reporting back as things change to the public,” Murphy said. “It’s millions of pages of websites and many, many data sets.”
The idea is to make sure as much information as possible remains publicly accessible even if it’s deleted from official channels, scientists are muzzled or funding to maintain data sets is cut.
In some ways, the world has been through this before, said Matt Price, a UofT lecturer in the department of history and faculty of information.
“This is a classic pattern. It seems very similar to what happened in the Harper era,” he said.
Only this time, “it’s got this kind of authoritarian ring to it.”
The fact that scientific data is now so vulnerable shows a flaw in how data is collected and maintained, he added.
“It’s kind of an opportunity to make governments more accountable in general.”'
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:14:54 PM

Neurons: 43,812
Hi Whatson.

Yes, this is great what they are doing. We have no idea what science and other info we lost under our wannabe dictator, Harper. His was gradual. At least we were forewarned with this wannbe dictator.

I mentioned this briefly on a thread a while ago, but I am glad you explaining in detail what they are doing.

(Digression - since you are Canadian do you think Canada should stick with Mexico and cancel negotiations instead of hoping to slide under the ogre's gaze?)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
snafu22q
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:19:37 PM

Neurons: 11,034
I saw yesterday on the news (and I just verified) that the White House website had removed the link for the content to be displayed in Spanish. As Seth Myer said on his show - "... so if you wanna read what's on the site, you're just going to have to learn.... Russian."

It's not surprising. Nothing he has done has surprised me. Every single thing is exactly what I would expect from someone of his ... 'fabric'.

I *am* somewhat surprised at the way the rest of the republikans are falling all over themselves trying to explain away his intent, his methods, his complete lack of decorum/decency, and his boy-crush on another despicable narcissist. He hasn't changed anything from early in the campaign when they were, almost unanimously, shouting from the rooftops about what a despicable candidate he was. I guess as long as he is willing to sign everything they want (to put the US back into a 1930's state of mind), they are willing to back anything the Cretin-in-Charge does - no matter how heinous, no matter how unethical, or even unlawful. They don't challenge he and his press secretary's blatant falsehoods - there is no thing such as 'truth' in the trump Administration - there is only perception. They are in the process of cutting out the 4th estate, and after he does that, the only news we will get is the Administration's 'perception'. And the republikan leadership sits on their hands. I've always viewed McConnell as a traitor - from when he said *his* job was to stop everything Obama wanted; if he is in that office, his job is to take care of the business of the nation, NOT dig in his heels and make Congress the dysfunctional entity it has become. Traitor. So much for republikan 'values'.

The majority of Americans do not approve of trump, don't like him, and did not vote for him. Yet the Administration and Congress both act as though what actually happened didn't - that Hillary won the popular vote by almost 2.9 million voters, and the 3 states that gave him the election - Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania - he won by less than 78,000 votes...COMBINED. He won, yes he did - but most decent winners would make it known that they would work to make the people that didn't vote for him come to support him. Not donald - he simply repeats his lies ad nauseum - until finally everyone tires of re-stating that it is a LIE. Then it becomes the truth.

I believe that most of that majority are sickened by his win and wonder how they will make it through the next 4 years.

For me, I am concerned that America even WILL make it through.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. - Hunter S. Thompson
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:11:22 PM

Hi Snafu.

And on top of everything you said - traitors etc. they are hypocrites.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/republicans-alarmed-over-obama-s-executive-orders-cheer-trump-s-n712231

"Sen. Jeff Sessions, who is now Trump's attorney general nominee, called Obama "emperor" for his use of executive action on immigration. He has not commented on Trump's dozen presidential actions.

House Speaker Paul Ryan condemned Obama's executive orders, calling a handful he issued a year ago aimed at reducing gun violence "a dangerous level of executive overreach." Following Trump's immigration executive order signed Wednesday, he expressed support."

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 2:43:19 AM

Neurons: 427,675
In light of all the worry Trump's actions cause, it's great to see people actually cooperating to preserve vital information and basic human rights. My silver lining in all of this is that the more he fucks things up, the more he'll bring his opponents together. And hey, in doing so maybe he'll accidentally "make America great again" - just not in the way he anticipated. (Though he'll probably claim it was his plan all along.)
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 5:43:17 AM

From social media - "Trump wants this photo to be removed from the Intenet so you know what to do". The man is 😜.

jamespslab
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 7:28:40 AM

Yes, this is great what they are doing. We have no idea what science and other info we lost under our wannabe dictator, Harper. His was gradual. At least we were forewarned with this wannbe dictator.