The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do you know Isaac Azimov?(16) Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:50:28 AM

Neurons: 61,641
Isaac Asimov, the Russia-born American writer, wrote prequels to his existing novels.

Do you know of any other writer having such matchless quality?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
taurine
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 3:05:49 PM

Neurons: 28,504
Perhaps Arthur Charles Clarke "Rendezvous with Rama". I have read it more then 20 years ago so I cannot say anything more about it.
OnTheVerge
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 3:47:08 PM

Neurons: 298,802
Yes, as taurine mentioned, Arthur C. Clarke also Robert Heinlein, who along with Isacc Asimov are considered the Big Three of the science fiction genre! Poul Anderson was also very well known for his works on society and politics in sci-fi.

There are many others, too numerous to mention. However, the all-time master of sci-fi and/or fantasy has to go to, without any doubt, J.R.R. Tolkien. Now he was a writer of matchless quality and literary excellence! Whistle

While timorous knowledge stands considering, audacious ignorance hath done the deed
taurine
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:12:38 PM

Neurons: 28,504
In this case where I have already red such an interesting words authored by OnTheVerge, I cannot resist my temptation to mention about a woman: Ursula Le Guin with her "A wizard of Earthsea" and, my favourite in this genre: Robert E. Howard a famous Texanian [if it is allowed to use this word] for his writings creating Conan
whatson
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 6:38:47 PM

Neurons: 1,656
Oh, They, who stop here next:
Instead of listing sci-fi authors,
hasten and read the OP.
Enumerate authors who wrote prequels!
Divest Asimov of his matchless quality!
TMe
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 11:05:39 PM

Neurons: 1,324
whatsonApplause Applause Applause

Deliberate practice of one hour is worth ten hours of normal practice.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 3:11:11 AM

Neurons: 131,106
Though I do think that Isaac Asimov is one of the best - his linking together of his two great series 'Foundation' and 'Robots' is masterful - I wouldn't say that he's the 'Grand Master'.

Heinlein's Future History "collection" can hardly be labelled 'sequels' or 'prequels' sometimes. They document different occurrences at various times during the same history - many of them jumping from one period to another. (I have heard that his twenty-fourth includes more detail to the story of his first in the sequence, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.)

However, when it comes to sequels and prequels, I don't think that anyone could match Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE.

The first novel was in a pre-Industrial-Revolution time, but the whole series covers several parallel sets dating from the creation of the last continent and the duck-billed platypus to the 'invention' of modern financial criminality banking.

And, just for taurine, a couple of the stories feature Cohen the Barbarian (and his daughter).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 8:02:54 AM

Neurons: 2,701
I only mention this as I also like Sir Teryy Pratchett a lot but weren't 'Dark Side of the Sun' and 'Strata' earlier than 'The Colour of Magic'?
Both of those books had more SciFi elements than the Discworld series.

The chart is also slightly out of date, it does not include the invention of the Railway in 'Raising Steam'.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 8:18:45 AM

Neurons: 50,934
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Isaac Asimov, the Russia-born American writer, wrote prequels to his existing novels.

Do you know of any other writer having such matchless quality?

W E Johns wrote about a hundred books about Biggles between 1932 and 1968. In the first book, published in 1932, Biggles is a fighter pilot in the First World War. Later books follow his life through that war, the inter-war period and through and after the Second World War.

However, there were three prequels, each going farther back in time. The first published (in 1935) tells of his learning to fly, the second (1951) of his schooldays, and the third (1968) of his early childhood.

I am not a Tom Clancy fan, but I believe that the first book he wrote about Jack Ryan, The Hunt for Red October, was followed late by two prequels, Patriot Games and Red Rabbit.

Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 8:26:16 AM

Well, yes, "Raising Steam" is part of the Industrial Revolution, so is a sequel on that 'branch'.

I wouldn't say "Dark Side of the Sun" and "Strata" were really part of this universe - though several species did celebrate Hogswatch . . .

Hi tunaafi.

You're right - I just read Red Rabbit (by accident really, I finished the book I was reading during a long bus-trip, and someone gave me Red Rabbit as a well used paperback with no cover).

I had read Red October many many years ago, and a few of the 'Campus' ones more recently, so it was interesting to get the earlier history.

Eoin Riedy
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 11:42:50 AM

Neurons: 699
The Chronicles of Narnia weren't written or published in chronological order. We have to wait until the penultimate book to find out what the heck a lamppost is doing sitting in a forest!
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:38:26 AM

Neurons: 35,640

I also thought immediately of Pratchett, but would also mention Stephen King. He's a master craftsman with his writing and, over the years, has produced prequels - though one never realises till one is reading that that's what it is!
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:14:09 AM

Neurons: 1,324
My thanks for everybody.

Deliberate practice of one hour is worth ten hours of normal practice.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 6:16:31 AM

I just found that a new book (well, trilogy, actually) will be coming out fitting in with the "His Dark Materials" set.

They will not be sequels or prequels - they cover from ten years before the start of 'Northern Lights' to ten years after the last scene in 'The Amber Spyglass'.

Phillip Pullman calls them "equals".

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:57:48 AM

Neurons: 441,057
Asimov's output is impressive. He wrote about anything and everything.

This isn't quite a prequel, but Lloyd Alexander's The Foundling touches on stories referred to in the five-book young adult fantasy Chronicles of Prydain.

In the computer game world, I think Zork Zero is the first such prequel. It's not very good, but it is just cool that it was conceived.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.