The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Richard Milhous Nixon (1913) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,021
Richard Milhous Nixon (1913)

After serving as vice president of the US under Dwight D. Eisenhower, Nixon ran for president but lost to John F. Kennedy in 1960. He was elected president in 1968 and 1972, but his second term was cut short by the Watergate scandal, which involved the burglary and wiretapping of Democratic party headquarters. Likely facing impeachment, he became the first president to resign. Although never convicted, he was pardoned by his successor, Gerald Ford. What pet did Nixon receive as a political gift? More...
Shulamit
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 2:00:22 AM

Neurons: 48,633
My grandfather had official dealings with the man. The extortion of a campaign contribution in return for Nixon's endorsement of a fair housing bill in California was disgusting enough, but the sociopath then turned around and campaigned against it. No fair housing under Nixon's watch!

Later, when my family had to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area, due to persecution by the HUAC (House Unamerican Activities Committee, of which Mr. Nixon was a prominent member) during his Vice Presidency (note the word "vice") Nixon resided not too far from us in an exclusive area where African Americans, Asians, Catholics, Jews and all other ethnic minorities were forbidden to live, or even visit, unless of course, the visit had to do with the lucky employment as a janitor, domestic servant, gardener, golf caddy, etc.

All the above and more were reasons why three generations of my family loathed the man intensely.

Though I was very young at the time, I remember that when President Eisenhower had a heart attack, my mother was distraught and suggested that if Eisenhower were to die, his head should be so perfectly preserved that perhaps it could be held aloft on a stick to stand in as his living self thus preventing the apocalyptic eventuality of a Nixon presidency.

And then there was 1968 . . .

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:35:22 AM

Neurons: 885,956
What pet? A dog I think.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:52:11 PM

Neurons: 41,209
Shulamit - "When will we ever learn, when will we ever learn?" Any time soon? I doubt it.

So sorry for you and your family and the others affected.

At least Nixon was facing impeachment for tapping into - called hacking these days - DNC headquarters. Now when a foreign enemy country does it, it's okay as far as the president-elect and a large percentage of the population is concerned.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:16:21 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Many people admired and still admire President Nixon and especially the First Lady.

He did the best job that he could under the circumstances.

The media finally succeeded in bringing him down, just as they are openly trying to do to our current president.