The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

My ANECDOTE of the day Options
Ursus Minor
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:17:43 AM

Neurons: 2,396
Queen Victoria was angry. She said to lord Hamilton, "Sir, last week you dared to say in the parliament that all English women are for sale, didn't you?"
"Yes, I did, your Majesty."
"Then you mean I am also for sale?"
The Lord remained silent.
"Come on, Sir. How much would you pay for me?"
"Two hundred pounds, your Majesty."
"So little?"
"You see, you are already bargaining."
TheParser
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:36:49 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Thank you, Ursus Minor, for that entertaining anecdote.

Romany
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 8:41:26 AM

Neurons: 40,674
Hello Ursus Minor - being a Dictionary site, we usually put the URL of the place where we found a quote or a story underneath it so other people can go and find out more about it.

I'd love to know where you got the above anecdote from, because unfortunately, it seems to be a bit of a mix-up.

During Victoria's reign the only "Lord" Hamilton was George who was born in 1845 (Victoria became Queen 1837.) and spoke first in Parliament in the 1860s. The Hamiltons are a prominent British family and various members have different titles such as Viscount, Earl etc. The complete Hansard (what everybody has said in Parliament)transcript of every speech this Lord Hamilton made during his career is here:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/people/lord-george-hamilton/1869. (Sorry, can't link to it).

There doesn't appear to be anything he said in public about English women being for sale?

There were words about being 'for sale' said by Nelson to his ex-lover Lady Hamilton long after her husband had died and long before Victoria was born.

But, as a historian, I find that real history is far more exciting than fiction, so you might like to have a look at this article about Lady Hamilton and Nelson and Napolean which is a grand tale and in which Nelson wrote: "“My dearest friend you are on SALE: I am almost mad to think of the iniquity.” It's got everything: - Aristocrats, illicit love, licit love, intrigue,sadness, punishment!!
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/oct/23/portrait-emma-hamilton-lord-nelson-on-display-national-maritime-museum

Once again - sorry I can't link directly but a cut n' paste will get you there.Have fun!
Romany
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 9:00:25 AM

I've tried everything - but the URLs simply refuse to appear no matter how I write them. If you ARE interested in reading about the scandalous Lady Hamilton drop me a PM, Ursus, and I'll send them in a message instead, ok?

So sorry.
Y111
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 9:40:15 AM

Neurons: 628
In modern Russian, "anecdote" means "joke". It's one of the false friends of a translator.
Ursus Minor
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 10:33:50 AM

Neurons: 2,396
Romany wrote:

I've tried everything - but the URLs simply refuse to appear no matter how I write them. If you ARE interested in reading about the scandalous Lady Hamilton drop me a PM, Ursus, and I'll send them in a message instead, ok?

So sorry.

I took the story from the online dictionary here:
https://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?a=4&MessNum=105536&l1=1&l2=2

Though there are sources relating the same story to Bernard Shaw.
Romany, being a historian you know that such inexactitudes can take place.
Y111
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 10:50:04 AM

I am not even sure that "women for sale" is understood correctly by English speakers. Do they have such a synonym for "prostitutes"?
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 1:59:09 PM

Neurons: 42,042
Y111, yes we know what “men and women for sale” means. There are all kinds of other names/synonyms used as well.

https://youtu.be/tvyeAiOJKbU
:::
Don't you love the “trap” stories like the Queen Victoria one? I doubt it happened to anyone by anyone. Just a joke attributed to any famous person. My friends send me a version of those once a week.

Before women became independent economically from men, the only socially acceptable way they had to escape from their fathers and brothers was to get married. Thus the concept was that even a married woman who depended upon her husband to bring home the bacon was being kept for her sexual favors. The facts that it was socially dictated, that she made contributions to the home and upbringing of the children, and that both men's and women's bodies were actually for sale, were all conveniently ignored.

Nowadays young women in developed and in some other countries are learning that education and having a means of looking after themselves is important. Working together with a partner means you can pool your resources and expenses and get further ahead than being alone, but life is never secure. Even if one has a partner they may leave or die so everybody should learn about finances and be able to support oneself so one is never “for sale” in any classification. Be independent no matter your gender!

:::
Romany, Your second link to “The Guardian” works for me. You did something right there. Edited - the being on sale pun is delicious.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 2:34:05 PM

My anecdote - “short account of an interesting or humorous incident“ - is about how famous quotes are being reimagined for millennials - with some truth incorporated.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/xx-classic-quotes-reimagined-for-the-millennial-generation?utm_term=.spZr1g2ARZ#.evmWaPMx6Q

Romany
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 2:47:35 PM

Hope,
Wow! So one worked - yet I can't even see it: when I look at my posts they aren't there.The URLS I mean. Not the actual posts.

Ursus -

Oh its very easy, with the advent of the Internet, and Wikipedia, for false stories to appear. Years ago they would have been edited before they were printed to see if they were true, but now anyone can post anything! I also saw something on this site that inferred Queen Victoria didn't speak English properly too! As there are recordings of her voice we know this is bogrot, but people believe it because they read it. And especially if they read it on a site like this!

She was actually a very erudite woman and spoke and read other languages beside English, including one Indian language whose script she could write perfectly.

Happens to us all in all kinds of ways: why, some people honestly believe that Surf washes cleanest! (And *that* was a kinda English joke!). We're lucky here though, we have so many people from different kinds of backgrounds that can correct information they know to be incorrect.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 3:10:02 PM

Romany, one website I read says Queen Victoria would be considered a “nasty woman” in Trumpian terms - which is a compliment!

Edited - she was outshone by Prince Albert when he was alive but she maintained a very active role in politics and ruled for 40 years on her own. As well as being a mother to nine! children - a dangerous feat in those days. Albert was the house-husband who brought up the children!

Prominent women (and men) often have many myths written about them.

This link has some interesting facts about them as a family.

http://www.historyextra.com/article/bbc-history-magazine/queen-victoria-children-mother-family

almo 1
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 6:58:03 PM

Neurons: 4,628

Y111
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 11:36:52 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Don't you love the “trap” stories like the Queen Victoria one?

Yes, I do. I simply thought this one might be a translation because I had read it in Russian before.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:17:17 PM

Has "Victoria and Abdul" come to Canada yet. Judy Dench plays Victoria (for the second time!) during the last years of her life, and her relationship with an Indian servant. After her death her family burned all their letters and books and erased his memory so much that to the vast majority of people in Britain, this comes as a total surprise. Hence its popularity, I guess.

It's a very stinging indictment of Victorian ideas during our Colonial period, too.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:44:05 PM

Not yet, Romany. I'm waiting for season two of Masterpiece Theatre on TV called “Victoria”. I take it the Judi Dench one is a cinema movie? I love Judi Dench's acting.

The Victorian era may need a stinging indictment in some areas, but in others it excelled.

TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:17:44 AM

No. 22

Four Americans visiting a foreign country went to a restaurant for dinner.

The server (waiter/waitress) did not understand the nuances of English very well.

The first diner told the server: "I'll have the steak, please."

The second diner told the server: "Please make that two."

The third diner told the server: "Make that three."

The fourth diner told the server: "Make that four."

If you are a native speaker or an advanced learner, you are probably already laughing, for you know what is coming next.

The server returned a few minutes later with the food.

She gave a steak to the first diner.
She gave two steaks to the second diner.
She gave three steaks to the third diner.
She gave four steaks to the fourth diner.

This anecdote was reported by one Patricia Withers and one Carolyn Hinton in the November, 2017, American print edition of the Reader's Digest.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:55:57 AM

Neurons: 151,253
Ho ho ho!

The vagaries of abbreviated speech! Your "four steaks" reminds me of the sketch 'Four candles' or 'Fork handles'.

The other thing I find interesting is that you (The Parser) appear to have a time machine!
You have already read the November 2017 edition of Reader's Digest, and it's only the eighteenth of October!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:05:20 AM

Neurons: 10,094
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Ho ho ho!

The other thing I find interesting is that you (The Parser) appear to have a time machine!
You have already read the November 2017 edition of Reader's Digest, and it's only the eighteenth of October!

Hello Drag0,

Publishers (tend to) put-maybe always- "future time" as their publishing dates.

You can download the Canadian edition in the following link:

http://magazinelib.com/all/reader-s-digest-canada-november-2017/

(I haven't downloaded it myself, though. I am not inclined to do so.)

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:16:58 PM

Neurons: 151,253
FROSTY X RIME wrote:
(I haven't downloaded it myself, though. I am not inclined to do so.)

No, I'm similar - If the Reader's Digest were the ONLY magazine to read in a waiting room, I may scan through it and read the two-line (five-line, in this case) jokes at the bottom of some pages - or the very occasional biographical article about some historical personality.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:22:03 AM

Thanks, DragOnspeaker and Frosty, for your comments.

DragOnspeaker, I am shocked (shocked, I tell you!) that you didn't know that the November issue would arrive in my mailbox ahead of time.

I wish you both a nice day.

philips daughter
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:54:48 AM

Neurons: 19,969
It’s very early again. I would still like to know what library is open at 1:30 am.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:42:23 AM

Left vs Right Brain - first video ties in with four steaks. Your laughs for the day. For the record, my husband (who is left brain) does 95% of our shopping.

Jeanne Robertson is hilarious. I posted a thread a while ago by her "Don't Bungee Jump Naked". The thread is in K & C entitled "This One's For the Old Folks"

https://youtu.be/-YFRUSTiFUs

https://youtu.be/8k0kQ3oATy0

whatson
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:46:28 PM

Neurons: 2,384
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Ho ho ho!

The date on magazines suggests when to take them off the newsstand.

If I were a lame 'un, I wouldn't advertise it.
Ben10G
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:45:39 AM

Neurons: 31
Good Point Guys. I must say you all have added so much value to the original questions asked. Seems like a knowledgeable and worth it discussion. I am still reading... its huge Drool
PLaying this and Reading the entire convo...