I hope someone can help me.

For the initials KLS is this correct?

קל"ס
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2011 12:57:30 AM

Neurons: 4,678
To Katriel:

I don't believe that it does.

I haven't deciphered it completely yet. (I am getting too sleepy.:))

I will try and post it for you soon.

Marissa
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:02:12 PM

Neurons: 4,678
I'm afraid Kariel I am not the person who can help you. I am not a Hebrew scholar so the exact translation is unclear to me. You might ask one of the other members of this forum who has a better understanding of languages.

Hebrew is such a multidimensional language with many interpretations, I'm afraid my interpretation might be wrong. Knowing the context of how a root word such as KSL is used helps to understand its meaning, also knowing what vowels are intended to be used helps in the translation. Then there is the gematria to consider--so there are many levels of understanding of which it is unclear to me which meaning is intended.

Without knowing all of the above, even if you translate the individual letters, you still have to sort of come up with an amalgamation of the various shades of meaning, just as you have to do with the phrases or sentences and the meaning of the gemetria...

I don't have the Hebrew letters here on my keyboard, so I can only say that the "phrases" that you wish to translate means something like:

"Those who walk on the path of wisdom will not stumble and fall..."

But I'm sure this isn't exactly right--maybe not even remotely right.:)

If you do happen to have it correctly translated, I would be very much interested in knowing what its correct translation is.

With warm regards,

Marissa
meskaline
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 10:22:03 PM

Neurons: 3
As far as I know this is an abbreviation - initials of a phrase that contains 3 words.
One of the possible meanings is קרן לקידום סגל which is English for Faculty of Advanced Fund or Faculty of Fund Advancement. Or something of this sort
MiTziGo
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:04:44 PM

Neurons: 6,142
Katriel wrote:
I hope someone can help me.

For the initials KLS is this correct?

קל"ס

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: There are variations that could also be correct because there are several letters in the Hebrew language that make similar sounds.

The "K" can be represented by a ק (Koof) or by a כּ(Kaf). But if you are not going to use nekudot (the signs, in this case dots, used to represent vowels or distinguish between alternative pronunciations of letters of the Hebrew alphabet), then you should stick with the ק because the kaf without the dot in the middle is actually the letter chaf (כ) and makes a "kh" sound not a "k" sound.

The "L" can be represented by a ל (Lamed), as you selected.

The "S" can be represented by a ס (Samech) or by a שׂ (Sin). Again, if you are not using nekudot, the ס is probably your best bet, as there is also a letter called shin (שׁ), which makes a "sh" sound rather than a "s" sound, and it differs from the sin in that the dot appears over the right branch rather than the left. So, with no dots used, the implied sound becomes somewhat ambiguous.