The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Rising genius always shoots out its rays from among the clouds, but these will gradually roll away and disappear as it... Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 74,817
Rising genius always shoots out its rays from among the clouds, but these will gradually roll away and disappear as it ascends to its steady luster.

Washington Irving (1783-1859)
kitten
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:57:23 AM

Neurons: 7,420
What I love about this site is that I am able to hunt around and find the books of old and enjoy them. I have yet to find this quote in context, if it indeed is, but I found the works of, Washington Irving, and I shall post it here.

Another good read for one of those days.

The writings of Washington Irving <<<<< www.archeive.org

peace out, >^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
MTC
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:46:35 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Yes, thanks Kitten. I'm sure everyone appreciate your efforts. Certainly, I do.

Now as to the quotation, does the group believe Irving's one-size-fits-all template for the path of genius fits in all cases? Don't some geniuses arrive like a thunderbolt? (Einstein) Aren't others recognized only after they are gone? (Emily Dickinson)
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:32:35 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Well, I remember a line by - I think it was Max Planck, a physicist - it's not the new ideas win the day that often, rather it's that the old ideas die out.
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:16:09 AM

Neurons: 4,678
Good point J.D.--and thank you Kitten, as MTC has stated: I too appreciate your efforts.
And to MTC: Yes, genius is found everywhere in the large and the small, especially if
one has the capacity to recognize it. It permeates our world in all things and is as
perennial as the grass.
kitten
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:03:26 AM

Neurons: 7,420
Hello, Anxious

You're very welcome. 'Tis my pleasure. I have found so many interesting things.

When you open the above link you just see a red page, use the arrows on the top right and it will open the book.
This book is from the Santa Cruz Library. It has the story of, "Sleepy Hollow" in it. But the one I found fascinating was the story about the Moors, Spain, and the war that took place just at the start of Henry VIIths reign. He also gives his insight into other writers. A very good read in my book.

Regarding this quote. Genius is subjective. I do realize we have a standarized test to see if each and everyone of us rises to that level. Whistle But as I have said the test in my opinion is skewered.d'oh!

Genius comes in many forms. I consider the man who invented the tin can a genius and the man who invented the opener 50 years later a genius as well.

I agree genius is found in all forms and walks of life.

peace out, >^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:14:33 PM

Neurons: 4,678
Kitten, thank-you for your kind instructions on how to open up the computer book.
I need all the help I can get on manning the controls on the computer. :)
I was just thinking these last few days that I should read W.I. stories again!

I think it takes genius to recognize genius; to "see" it in the many people
places that it resides (hides)....

Peace out, yea!

Marissa

DarkMoon
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:54:38 PM

Neurons: 46,684
Daemon wrote:
Rising genius always shoots out its rays from among the clouds, but these will gradually roll away and disappear as it ascends to its steady luster. Washington Irving (1783-1859)

Sounds almost like a supernova. ;) We never know where on the vault of the sky a new genius will flare up.

This quote makes me think of a brilliant book by Bill Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything. Stories of scientific discoveries through ages remind us of all those scientists and enthusiasts (hidden in a lab or house), whose efforts originally went unnoticed, and were discerned long time later. Also, how many discoveries and great theories came to surface by chance in a stroke of genius or in a flash of intuition.
jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:52:04 PM

Neurons: 9,052
After my third tumbler I see that too...