The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

French Face Veil Ban Goes into Effect Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 72,906
French Face Veil Ban Goes into Effect

On Monday, France became the first country to enact a law forbidding face-covering veils such as the niqab or burqa in public places. Violators of the new law may be fined 150 euros (217 dollars) and made to attend lessons in French citizenship. Anyone found forcing a woman to wear a veil faces a much larger fine and a prison sentence of up to two years. The French government says such veils relegate wearers to an inferior status and cannot be tolerated in a country that values equality. However, opponents of the law say it violates people's freedom of religion and accuse President Nicolas Sarkozy of stigmatizing Muslims to gain the support of far-right voters. More...
Shukri
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:59:36 AM

Neurons: 3
Wearing burga is a new trend brought by the fanatics of Alqaeda. It is not islamic at all. What may be semi-islamic is the hijjab. Why it is semi-islamic? Because many islamic scholars think of it as for the profit Mohammad wives only according to a verse in Quran. Burga masks the identity and it is a cover to commit crimes. We have, in Saudi Arabia, many cases where a woman with burga has actually committed kidnapping, stealing, etc. and they run away unidentified. Burga will emphasize that the relationship between a man and a woman is only sexual, and that what many people in the islamic country feel.
AJC
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:14:30 AM

Neurons: 2,436
Welcome to the forum Shukri.

Thank you for that explanation. So, I take it that you see multiple reasons why the ban is acceptable?

Feed Your Head-Grace Slick
MHammer58
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:18:26 PM

Neurons: 8
There is a certain level of tolerance in the US, However it is becoming increasingly clear that Western Countries must put their values to the front in this battle of ideologies. If France feels justified in this law and their courts have let it go forward, then it is legal. The fact that these certain Islamic religious fanatics refuse to adapt to Western ways and customs only show that if the spread of this Islamic fervor and ideology is allowed, we who are Western in our ideologies, customs and religions will be treated far worse and without mercy. Remember, those who are Islamic fanatics are determined to make the entire world their ideology. Anyone who stands in the way will be exterminated. It is that simple. So I say this, it is about time France took a stance. I hope that very soon, the United States actually shows the backbone of the past and takes similar hard stances. If you immigrate to a country, you adapt to that country's way of society. We do not adapt to your's.Applause

MHammer58
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:50:51 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Wonderful to see an open mind Shukri, welcome.

Most of us do realise that there are different traditions in different countries.

Whilst in those countries we respect their traditions, be it no shoes inside homes, hats off inside homes and many more.

However we also have our own traditions and resent being told that they will be ignored, despite our feeling and wishes.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do", is a very old saying, not one raised by a populist minority.
dmt7679
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:53:35 PM

Neurons: 404
I think this is bullshit. You have to take french citizenship lessons? And eff you mhammer I hope america NEVER takes a stand against any clothing espcially somthing particular to relgious beliefs. If i go to egypt and want to wear blue jeans and a bsseball cap i will and god damn the man who will tell me otherwise all thee right wing racist just fear what you dont understand.

We will all be one culture some day. what are we going to wear?
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:07:58 PM

Neurons: 9,052
That day we all will be nudist.
GoGalt
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:12:05 PM

Three cheers for President Nicolas Sarkozy! It’s about time that France clamped down on this Mohammedan plague upon Europe. The next step should be mass deportation to the Middle East, where Kenza Drider and others of her primitive and religious dwarfism can play peek-a-boo behind their veils with their beloved Allah. Sheeeeez! What kind of a god wants women to be hidden from the world and make law enforcement impossible, other than a man-made religion of convenience for uncontrolled lustful men, who envision nirvana as having their own eternal cache of virgins? And, these so-called Mohammedan moderates, who object, are really showing their true colors. Mohammedans are all united in converting so-called infidels, be they Christian, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, pagans, agnostics, atheists, etc., either by force of law or by the sword (Heads up, folks, or lose it). This is an historical fact and nothing has changed, except the willpower of Western Civilization and rational and logical Man. Hopefully, here in America, this Mohammedan scourge will be nipped in the bud and those of this monstrous, irrational belief system will be respectfully deported back to their country of origin, along with other undesirables.
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:26:52 PM

dmt, imagine being a woman in these countries and wear a bikini!
mackle
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:35:59 PM

It's okay to wear that in your own country ladies, but don't expect the rest of the world to accept it. When in France, do as the French do or simply return to your native soil and wear the customary clothing and follow those rules.
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:16:57 PM

Way to go Mackle, welcome to the forum!
glm
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:20:52 PM

Neurons: 178
I agree with Mackle, if traveling to any country do as they do. It shows respect to their traditions and ways.
arthurdobrin
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 9:47:04 AM

The only valid reason to ban the niqab is that is obscures the face, making identity near impossible. This is a security concern (my bank requires the removal of sunglasses, for example) and it is a matter of human dignity. When we converse with another, the face is a critical component of communication.
AJC
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 11:02:03 AM

dmt7679 wrote:
I think this is bullshit. You have to take french citizenship lessons? And eff you mhammer I hope america NEVER takes a stand against any clothing espcially somthing particular to relgious beliefs. If i go to egypt and want to wear blue jeans and a bsseball cap i will and god damn the man who will tell me otherwise all thee right wing racist just fear what you dont understand.

America is capitalized.

AJC
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 11:06:38 AM

GoGalt wrote:
Three cheers for President Nicolas Sarkozy! It’s about time that France clamped down on this Mohammedan plague upon Europe. The next step should be mass deportation to the Middle East, where Kenza Drider and others of her primitive and religious dwarfism can play peek-a-boo behind their veils with their beloved Allah. Sheeeeez! What kind of a god wants women to be hidden from the world and make law enforcement impossible, other than a man-made religion of convenience for uncontrolled lustful men, who envision nirvana as having their own eternal cache of virgins? And, these so-called Mohammedan moderates, who object, are really showing their true colors. Mohammedans are all united in converting so-called infidels, be they Christian, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, pagans, agnostics, atheists, etc., either by force of law or by the sword (Heads up, folks, or lose it). This is an historical fact and nothing has changed, except the willpower of Western Civilization and rational and logical Man. Hopefully, here in America, this Mohammedan scourge will be nipped in the bud and those of this monstrous, irrational belief system will be respectfully deported back to their country of origin, along with other undesirables.

"Nipped in the bud?" I think that horse was out of the barn in the 60's. I grew up in Dearborn, Michigan. Just saying "NO" to having 16 people in a hospital room visiting a patient in a ward of 4 was impossible. Unless, of course you were a Non -Muslim. Two sets of rules even then.

AJC
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 1:31:15 PM

dmt7679 wrote:

I have news for you BUSTER! It isn't about CLOTHING. It's a statement. It's an in your face big F U to the west. It's about subjugation of women. It's about CONTROL. I, an AMerican (or any Western) woman could not show up wearing my own clothes in many places in the Middle east without being arrested or at least harrased. AGAIN. If you do not like the culture of a country AS IT STANDS, DON't move there!! GAWWWD!!!! Don't demand pork be removed from the PUBLIC schools. Don't refuse to wait on me in Target because I'm buying a pork product. Don't wash yer damn feet in the drinking fountains at the PUBLIC university because you are demanding public funds be used to kow-tow to your particular beliefs. Don't refuse to take me as a fare in your cab at the airport because I'm carrying alcohol.It's legal.
I have traveled around the world. I have ALWAYS respected the country I am visiting. I do not go there and expect THEM to capitulate to me. I am not a racist. I am not a biggot. I'm just sick to death of this. So, put this in your hooka and smoke it.

bluecloud
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 1:37:00 PM

Neurons: 25
mackle wrote:
It's okay to wear that in your own country ladies, but don't expect the rest of the world to accept it. When in France, do as the French do or simply return to your native soil and wear the customary clothing and follow those rules.

What if a French woman changes her religion and wants to wear it?