The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Sugar is the new tobacco Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:12:19 AM

Neurons: 899,064
Millions of lives have been negatively impacted by these actions. Heart disease, obesity and diabetes are now epidemic. All this suffering for just a little profiteering. It seems the costs were too high.

How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

Quote:
The sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to play down the link between sugar and heart disease and promote saturated fat as the culprit instead, newly released historical documents show.

The internal sugar industry documents, recently discovered by a researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, and published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine, suggest that five decades of research into the role of nutrition and heart disease, including many of today’s dietary recommendations, may have been largely shaped by the sugar industry.

“They were able to derail the discussion about sugar for decades,” said Stanton Glantz, a professor of medicine at U.C.S.F. and an author of the JAMA Internal Medicine paper.

The documents show that a trade group called the Sugar Research Foundation, known today as the Sugar Association, paid three Harvard scientists the equivalent of about $50,000 in today’s dollars to publish a 1967 review of research on sugar, fat and heart disease. The studies used in the review were handpicked by the sugar group, and the article, which was published in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine, minimized the link between sugar and heart health and cast aspersions on the role of saturated fat.

Even though the influence-peddling revealed in the documents dates back nearly 50 years, more recent reports show that the food industry has continued to influence nutrition science.

Last year, an article in The New York Times revealed that Coca-Cola, the world’s largest producer of sugary beverages, had provided millions of dollars in funding to researchers who sought to play down the link between sugary drinks and obesity. In June, The Associated Press reported that candy makers were funding studies that claimed that children who eat candy tend to weigh less than those who do not.

The Harvard scientists and the sugar executives with whom they collaborated are no longer alive. One of the scientists who was paid by the sugar industry was D. Mark Hegsted, who went on to become the head of nutrition at the United States Department of Agriculture, where in 1977 he helped draft the forerunner to the federal government’s dietary guidelines. Another was Dr. Fredrick J. Stare, the chairman of Harvard’s nutrition department.

TheParser
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:55:02 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Your humble servant does NOT know, of course, whether sugar is bad or good.

But he DOES know that if one drastically cuts back on candy, soda, ice cream, and pastries, one will see a drastic reduction in weight -- and in that paunch (beer belly).
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:17:41 PM

Neurons: 45,051
Hi Oscar,

If these accusations are true, then it is absolutely deplorable. Fraud always is and money is usually the cause. However, would knowing it was bad back then really have changed our habits? Maybe we might have kept sugar as a treat for occasional use. We'll never know. I remember as a child in the forties eating so much sugar and bread one day that all I wanted was something 'soild'.

I know right well that 'bad' carbs with sweeteners - not just cane sugar - should be used in moderation and affect triglycerides that are important for heart health. But sweeteners are addictive - they are feel good substances and people, including me, crave them. And they affect the part of the brain that affects our impulse control so we keep on stuffing our faces. But sugar overload may contribute to many modern diseases including diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. We eat them, insulin levels rise and then fall and then we need more to stop the crash - a vicious circle.

Eating a good fat (walnut, olive, avocado) and protein with the sugar can stop the crash from happening so you don't overeat it. Stevia and agave do not affect the glycemic index and are safe substitutes. Eating the fruit and not the juice gives fibre that prevents the sugar rush.

The type of microbes you have in your microbiome (bacteria etc in your gut) actually affects not only the kinds of food you eat, but your behavior as they have direct communication with the brain. They actually contribute to sugar cravings. (Just finished "Gut and Your Microbiome" course.) And the state of your adrenal glands also affects sugar, salt, and caffeine cravings. And you can manipulate your microbiome with what you eat.

The studies led nutritionists to believe that foods raised cholesterol and that saturated fat was the culprit. So margarine that was manufactured during butter shortages in wartime became the spread to use. But then they discovered trans fats and today's margarine is not supposed to be bad for you. But apparently our bodies control the manufacture of cholesterol and the amount we need, and dietary cholesterol is not really an issue. Triglycerides influenced by sugar are (more) important.

Coconut oil was vilified too but is now being accepted with its different chain of fatty acids. So were eggs. We are always getting new science so who knows for example what will be said about trans fats in twenty years.

So playing down the sugar problem and playing up the fat angle worked together as the article says.

Even before I developed severe food allergies and sensitivities, we preferred butter and never switched, and always ate foods that remain in their natural state with sweets being a treat and not an everyday thing. I have had maybe five pops and 5 donuts in 35 years and I don't even miss them. In fact last time I tried a donut I only ate half - seemed like baked glue to me. ;) However, if I bake home made pastries etc, I tend to eat too much and recently am just trying to go cold turkey with sweeteners. If I eat even a little, I get sucked back in again.

Sorry - I got off topic and rambled, but maybe it will fit in a bit.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 1:09:17 AM

Neurons: 899,064
TheParser wrote:
Your humble servant does NOT know, of course, whether sugar is bad or good.

But he DOES know that if one drastically cuts back on candy, soda, ice cream, and pastries, one will see a drastic reduction in weight -- and in that paunch (beer belly).

Dr. Robert Lustig presents how sugar is the problem.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y
Delarno
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 12:50:53 PM

Neurons: 38
The effects of refined sugar is more harmful than the conventional medicine would accept. In article titled "Refined Sugar 7 Deadly Effects in Our Body" (Source: http://www.booboone.com/refined-sugar/), Nutritionist Rafael explains how sugar opens a ware on every healthy cell in our body from the moment it enters in contact with our stomach. This war could lead diabetes and possibly cancer. Yet medical professionals continue to recommend to cancer patients.

Speaking more than one language is a privilege that breaks many world barriers.
MelissaMe
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 7:01:35 PM

Neurons: 346,763
Delarno wrote:
Yet medical professionals continue to recommend to cancer patients.

That is an incomplete sentence. What are you saying medical professionals recommend?

My oncologist recommends as little refined sugar as possible - and darn little alcoholic beverages, if any.

This is my only now.
Romany
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 9:21:40 AM

Neurons: 43,412

I remember when the whole thing about labelling sugar as a 'poison' came out - I was pregnant with my first child. It became a division between whether you were a 'good' parent or a 'bad' parent: - and any parent who gave a child a sweetie or cake as a 'treat' was treated as a criminal.

So I often wonder why so many of the children of THOSE children are being brought up as though refined sugar was one of the staples of life - and so many of them start having attention, dental and health problems by the time they're 3 years old?

Now this may sound really silly, but I've noticed that the kids of parents who either don't have tv or who watch it only infrequently are generally not obese and don't eat lots of sweet things. So it seems to me that the culprit is advertising - especially on children's programmes.

Yet I also remember all the hoo-hah about making it illegal to advertise refined products such as breakfast 'cereals', sweets, drinks etc. during kid's viewing times.

Dear gods but we first world countries appear to have short memories. Must be all that sugar...

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:16:46 AM

Neurons: 167,141
I can feel the difference in the afternoon if I have a sugary dessert at lunch - a bit 'dopy', lethargic (I'm not used to much refined sugar at all, though I eat sweet fruit and honey).

But this came up in another thread - Oxygen is the new cancer-causing problem.

Quote:
"Oxygen is known to be highly reactive. When cells in the body use oxygen atoms to harness the energy stored in food, they produce a natural by-product called oxygen free radicals.
These free radicals can cause damage to cell structures and DNA, which in turn can trigger cancer."

Don't let your kids breathe - it's bad for them!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:53:11 AM

Neurons: 45,051
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I can feel the difference in the afternoon if I have a sugary dessert at lunch - a bit 'dopy', lethargic (I'm not used to much refined sugar at all, though I eat sweet fruit and honey).

But this came up in another thread - Oxygen is the new cancer-causing problem.

Quote:
"Oxygen is known to be highly reactive. When cells in the body use oxygen atoms to harness the energy stored in food, they produce a natural by-product called oxygen free radicals.
These free radicals can cause damage to cell structures and DNA, which in turn can trigger cancer."

Don't let your kids breathe - it's bad for them!
Whistle Drool Applause Anxious d'oh!

That's why one needs to eat fresh fruits and veggies to counteract the free radicals produced. There are even some antioxidant supplements one can use for that purpose. I don't recommend not breathing. lol

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon
MelissaMe
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:03:09 PM

Neurons: 346,763
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

I feel that way if I have a peanut butter and jam sandwich for lunch. I think carbs and sugar does it. I only have PB&J sandwich right before bedtime, every once in a while any more because of this. Meat, vegetables, fruit, with rice, potatoes, or pasta in the middle of the day work best for brain and energy levels for me.

This is my only now.