The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

When will Jesus come back ? Options
Trichakra
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:45:36 AM

Neurons: 161
Do you guys think that Jesus will come back or not?
Y111
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 8:51:28 AM

Neurons: 618
Nobody seems to care. I wonder if even all Christians remember what this second coming is about. The soul is immortal, there are paradise and hell for it to go after death. What else? Why come? The kingdom of God? How is it different from paradise? Is God not the king of paradise? This would be very strange.

I guess this immortal soul, paradise and hell are later inventions. They don't look consistent with what Jesus said in the Gospel. How can you rise from the dead if you are still alive, living in paradise or hell? It doesn't make sense. If you have lost your body, it's actually good. Why would you want it back? What for? What's so bad about being a free spirit in paradise?
thar
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:15:39 AM

Neurons: 62,977
Wow, judging by the length of time this went without an answer....

I suspect a lot of people do care, but if they do, they completely believe it will happen, so it's not really up for discussion.

I have always seen the Second Coming as a very nihilistic philosophy. I actually quite like this world, despite its many faults. Waiting for a god to come down, and take you to paradise has always seemed to me the ultimate in quitting, to me.
It makes people very selfish, as well.
(There is a group of Pacific Islands I won't name. Some were first converted by your standard missionaries, so they became Christian, but kept their ideas about respecting their ancestors and their future, being guardians of the land.
Another lot got converted with the idea of the second coming, so they took anything they wanted right now - cut down the trees, pollute the rivers, to hell with the future. So now they have an environmental catastrophe because they saw their own salvation and didn't give a f*** about anybody else.
"Ah, but we are not like that - they misunderstood, poor simple people!" No, it is the same thing, as far as I am concerned. A death cult, people giving up and waiting to be taken away.

And very divisive. I mean, it is a protection racket. You are scared into obeying till it happens. Then, everybody sees it, but only the righteous get to go. I mean, that is just spiteful. d'oh! Luckily, I don't think I'm invited so I still get to do my own thing. But being so showy just shows a lack of respect for others, man.

Wow, that was vicious. And unnecessary, for a dead thread. You must have caught me at a really bad time! To any nice people treading this who believe in this, I didn't mean to call you a death cult. Really. I am sure you have it in perspective! Silenced
Y111
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:22:11 AM

Neurons: 618
thar wrote:

Waiting for a god to come down, and take you to paradise has always seemed to me the ultimate in quitting, to me.

No, he is to come to establish a kingdom of God on Earth, not to take people anywhere. Of course, he will be able to undo any harm that will have been done to Earth by the time, but on the other hand, nobody knows when he will come, so cutting trees and polluting rivers isn't wise. But the story about the islands is interesting.

thar wrote:

And unnecessary, for a dead thread.

Why is the thread dead if we are here? Aren't we alive?
TMe
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:44:06 PM

Neurons: 3,094
Yes and He will take all good people to heaven.

I am a layman.
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:01:35 PM

Neurons: 3,921