The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You Believe in God? Options
Trichakra
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:41:38 AM

Neurons: 161
Hello Guys,
Do You Believe in God? If you don't, then how come? If you do, then how come?
Absinthius
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 4:49:52 AM

Neurons: 20,027
I find this to be a rather silly question.

Do you believe in leprechauns, if not, how come?

Do you believe in pink unicorns on mars, if not, how come?

Do you believe in the flying spaghetti monster, if not, how come?

The possibility of things you could or could not believe in is endless. You don't need a reason to not believe far-fetched claims. I have no reason for not believing any of these things other than that there is no reason to believe them.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
desca
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 7:33:18 PM

Neurons: 9,403
Absinthius wrote :
The possibility of things you could or could not believe in is endless.

Rather than telling the possibility of things you could or could not believe in is endless. How if you tell what you believe in instead.

Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:57:01 AM

About what?

I believe my parents have much affection for me.

I believe that democracy is a terrible system, but the best one we have yet come up with.

I believe the scientific method is our best shot at expanding our knowledge.

This would be a very boring and long list.

But to get back to the Original question regarding some sort of god, what makes the reason for not believing in that any more interesting than the reason for not believing in any other mythical creature? It seems rather arbitrary to single that one out.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
desca
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:16:09 AM

Absinthius wrote :
But to get back to the Original question regarding some sort of god, what makes the reason for not believing in that any more interesting than the reason for not believing in any other mythical creature? It seems rather arbitrary to single that one out.

"What makes believing in God is much more interesting" is that because all kind of wordly activities that we do in this world only last for some period. And why are we striving for something that does not last forever ?

We discuss something which that has correlation that bridge between this world and the spiritual world.

Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:45:30 PM

Unless you have sort sort of proof that this spiritual world exists, that entire line of reason is empty.

desca
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:08:00 PM

To prove the spiritual world exists is when first we know that humans have soul that moves the physical body. We have mind that controls the need of body. Gosh i feel like i'm a spiritualist.

When the body deceases, the soul will be transferred into another dimension. This dimension is unseen by humans eyes and it's called the spiritual world, we call it "the hereafter". There are things that humans unable to see such as air and soul. The body may decay but the souls never die because it has no corporeal form. As to what happens then, i will leave it to the scholars to explain it better.

What i can say is that, the existence of another dimension is real if we relate it with supernatural world that will take us into believeing in spiritual world.

Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:23:43 PM

A Soul?.. Another thing you are going to have to define and prove.

desca
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:54:08 PM

A soul is something that moves your body. If you don't believe it you can take the soul out of your body and prove it on your own. Afterall I don't know if you know the purpose of your existence.

Absinthius
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:26:38 AM

That is not even remotely an answer. I am sure you are aware of muscles, we also know how our nervous system sends signals to these muscles in order to make them contract and relax. This is how we move our bodies. We use our central nervous system for willfull movement and we have our peripheral nervous system that helps us keep our bodies safe by quick reactions such as reflexes. We know how this works and we know that no souls are involved.

And what this have to do with the purpose of my existence is very puzzling. My purpose is my own, something that I personally decide it to be. No soul required there, just me.

You have still to define what a soul is, apparently it is something you can remove form your body at will? Like an organ? Please elaborate, how would one go about removing ones soul, and what exactly is that soul?

So far you have tried to define undefinable concepts by invoking only more fantasies.

MelissaMe
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:18:42 PM

Neurons: 342,748
desca wrote:
There are things that humans unable to see such as air and soul.

Air can be measured, analyzed, quantified, removed from one place to another, and many other things too numerous for me to list - air has a very real, provable existence.

This is my only now.
Schlook Inside
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 6:07:37 PM

Neurons: 1,017,318
There is a sign in the town of Lourdes,France,it says "To one who has faith ,no explaination is necessary,to one without faith, no explanation is possible"

This below is from the 1997 movie Contact

[Ellie challenges Palmer to prove the existence of God]
Palmer Joss: Did you love your father?
Ellie Arroway: What?
Palmer Joss: Your dad. Did you love him?
Ellie Arroway: Yes, very much.
Palmer Joss: Prove it.

"Be kind everyone is fighting a hard battle"
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:24:28 AM

Neurons: 21,543
Trichakra wrote:

Do You Believe in God?

Hello, Trichakra:

Here is the opinion of one Leo Newman (my emphases).

"It is beyond my comprehension how people -- rational, thinking human beings -- can believe in an all-powerful benevolent Supreme Being. Obviously that being is either incapable or

unwilling to prevent the tragedies and brutalities that mankind has suffered since the beginning of time."
isaaac
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:39:21 PM

Neurons: 35,887
I do not believe in G-D. ... I know G-D is,belief is a SupperstitionBoo hoo!
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 12:04:14 PM

Neurons: 66,411
I can answer if you tell me the irrefutable definition of God.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:17:16 PM

Neurons: 340,214
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I can answer if you tell me the irrefutable definition of God.

Christ Jesus is God.

I remember, therefore I am.