The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Teen shot dead, friend wounded walking home from middle school." Options
Chazlee
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:29:53 PM

Neurons: 3,954
"WICHITA FALLS, Texas -- Police in North Texas say a 20-year-old man has been arrested after being accused of fatally shooting one teenage girl and injuring another girl as the two students were walking home from middle school. Kody Austin Lott remained jailed Monday on three counts: murder, aggravated assault and possession of a prohibited weapon.
The Wichita Falls Times Record News reports Lauren Landavazo and Makayla Smith, both 13 years old, were shot Friday afternoon while walking home from their middle school. Landavazo was killed. Police say Smith is in stable condition at a hospital."

Another day. Another shooting. Another death.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lauren-landavazo-texas-teen-shot-dead-friend-wounded-walking-home-from-middle-school-kody-lott-arrested/
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:26:53 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Chazlee wrote:

Another day. Another shooting. Another death.

So true!

Politicians and activists of a certain political persuasion do not care about the killers' victims.

Those politicians and activists spend their time claiming that those killers were simply victims of society!

Those politicians and activists themselves usually live in closely guarded communities.

Such hypocrisy makes good people sick to their stomachs.

Foreign tourists coming to visit the States should be warned by their home governments to avoid certain cities or at least certain areas in those cities.

tunaafi
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 5:39:30 AM

Neurons: 53,448
TheParser wrote:

Politicians and activists of a certain political persuasion do not care about the killers' victims.

Those politicians and activists spend their time claiming that those killers were simply victims of society!

Those politicians and activists themselves usually live in closely guarded communities.

What evidence do you offer in support of these claims?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:39:29 AM

Neurons: 66,755
KIllers are victims of the society. Ok

What those'killed' are then? Please explain.

Can the killing of teens constitute the societal revenge?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 6:45:49 AM

TheParser wrote:

Foreign tourists coming to visit the States should be warned by their home governments to avoid certain cities or at least certain areas in those cities.

This morning, I turned on the TV news and saw the following video:

1. Two tourists were walking down the sidewalk at night in the city of New Orleans.

2. Two male individuals came up behind them and attacked them.

3. One of the tourists was left unconscious on the sidewalk.

4. The other tourist was dazed by what had happened.

5. The two male individuals stole the tourists' belongings and fled.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:51:39 AM

Neurons: 41,220
Thank you Parser for pointing out that there is a party of "certain politicial persuasion" that is in cohorts with the NRA, with their senators accepting legal 'bribes' from the NRA, and a party that fights mightily to stop any control over who gets a gun and what kind of gun in the US. And a party hat stops any efforts by the Democrats who cry in public and demand that their children stop being slaughtered with gun violence, with gun accidents, and with gun suicide.

You are correct that in all parts of the United States there are so many shootings and so many mass shootings - four or more people is considered to be mass - that most do not even make the national news. I recently saw statistics about those numbers but am not good at remembering numbers.

In fact, unrest and violence in the US is the reason that many tourists are finding other countries to visit, not just parts of certain cities. Most cities in the world have an area where it is not safe to live, let alone visit, but since the takeover of the Republican party by a certain man who has encouraged even more violence, the tourist industry in the US has lost, and continues to lose, many jobs and millions of dollars.

I myself who was a snowbird mostly to the US for 25 years and owned property at one point, do not intend to ever step foot over that border again. Every one of our friends and neighbors who owned property in the US have or are selling that property, mostly in Florida, one of the states with a "stand your ground" law where people get away with murder. Is the number 22 states that have that law now?

In the US there is so much antipathy to people who happen to be of a different sexual or gender persuasion, of a different religion, of a different skin color and culture, or even just the disabled when the president mimics them, of people who just have different political policies or policies towards abortion, that many feel it is fine to just pick up a gun and shoot. And they do. I looked in vain for several days to see how the second person was doing who was critically injured in the GOP baseball shooting, but it was several days before he was reported to be ok. Of course there were hourly updates about the Congressman's injuries.

They even fight with vehicles over a lane change on a California highway causing innocent people to be injured in a dreadful accident.

And now that Gorsuch is in the Supreme Court, his vigorous arguments and rulings of law are definitely on the Republican side - just read that bit of news last night.

Edited - a related article about incentives to senators to vote the way WH wants - it is the first article that just came up when I went to check the news this morning - here's how the Republicans intend to use the law to cut 22 million people off health insurance in order to give tax cuts to the wealthy.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:59:56 AM

Neurons: 4,334

New Orleans was nice and peaceful, at least in 1998, from my experience as a tourist.

A lot of interesting people. Men and women in Jazz bar,
a woman in voodoo house(temple?), taxi driver, people on the street.
They were all nice people. I didn't feel danger even in the night walking down the city street.

Something must have changed somewhere along the line, maybe after September 2001.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:10:53 AM

Neurons: 41,220
Hi Almo. 9/11 has made a big difference but things had been changing years before that. Gated communities were needed and many sprung up. It was gradual, culminating in this year with protests going on everywhere, even violent protests in universities and people being called "snowflakes" etc. It has only been the last 2-3.years where we felt less safe with all the mass shootings in malls and theatres and so forth. My observations are from living in FL and from the US news over the years.

Years ago the guard at the entrance to our gated community was robbed and murdered. Everybody blamed the black community - until the stupid perp was caught using the credit cards, and to the shock of everyone, he was white.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:25:17 AM

Neurons: 53,448
I have to report that, on a recent short visit to Arizona and Utah, I found everybody immensely friendly and helpful. I saw and heard nothing that made me in the slightest bit concerned for anybody's safety or wellbeing. Being on a very limited budget, I stayed in a couple of cheaper motels away from the bright lights, but felt fine.

I drove a fair bit (European public transport is much better than the American public transport I saw - or did not see!). Driving, both in the cities and on the open roads, was a much more pleasant experience than driving in Europe, and the American drivers I saw were universally considerate.

I do not doubt the veracity of the reports I have read about violence in the USA. I just wanted to say that my experience, similar to my experience in Arizona five years ago, was very pleasant.

TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 8:30:22 AM

almo 1 wrote:

I didn't feel danger even in the night walking down the city street.

Congratulations!

You were very lucky!

Please, please, please, do NOT try that again.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 2:42:12 PM

Neurons: 811,668
TheParser wrote:
almo 1 wrote:

I didn't feel danger even in the night walking down the city street.

Congratulations!

You were very lucky!

Please, please, please, do NOT try that again.

Is this self-satire?

Because yes, some areas of cities are very bad, and it's not clear what to do about them.

But others are very safe indeed, especially tourist hotspots. (If they weren't, they wouldn't be hotspots.)

I routinely walk to the store at night to avoid long lines at the checkout counter with no worries or risks at all.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 10:17:22 PM

Neurons: 4,334

Repeating "Please" three times makes a song.

Please Please Me